Author Topic: the "Shark Tank" build thread (On Ice!!, pic finale)  (Read 14890 times)

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First Fish hut/man cave as we build
« Reply #60 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:12 AM »
Thanks guys, should be able to work on it more now that drivers ed is done ;D

Congrats!!!!
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 13, 2012, 11:18 AM »
This shack is going to be nice. Can't wait to see it finished. Good job so far.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 13, 2012, 06:20 PM »
going to work on it in 45 min, just wondering, after i paint it how long should i burn a fire in it for, and do i need a chimney on it to pull air thru or will it burn good enough otherwise? ???
thanks in advance

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #63 on: Dec 13, 2012, 07:06 PM »
A chimney will help but it is not needed. and lets see a pic of the stove. Please ;D

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 14, 2012, 08:16 AM »
A chimney will help but it is not needed. and lets see a pic of the stove. Please ;D
i think the unpainted pic is on page 2, but i didnt get around to painting it, we worked on insulation yesterday, was not fun, and am still coughing even though i used a mask  :-\. also put up vapor barrier.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 15, 2012, 08:31 PM »
We worked on the shack today for about 6 hours got three walls of panneling done and 1 more of vapour barrier. this stuff takes alot long when trying to save $12 a sheet, because having to fit 2 reused pieces were new would only take one, and then splitting vapor barrier and resealing it to put in supports for the second sheet. panneling should be painted sometime next week

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Dec 16, 2012, 04:22 PM »
Still lookin good!
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Dec 17, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Still lookin good!
Thanks, now if only it were finished ::). went fishing yesterday on lawn chairs but didn't catch anything  :'( verified 11" of clear bubble free ice :) and trucks and other big shacks were on but they weren't quiet as big.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Dec 21, 2012, 04:51 PM »
well, almost got the last wall of panneling done. first 2 went up in less then 15, but on the last one the air nailer was messed up and spent an hour on 1 >:(. did 15 pannels with it before, worked perfect. then on the last one pushes every nail rite thru and mad holes everywhere. shoulda gone back to the ol hammer :(. hoping to paint and start building furniture for it next.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: the "Shark Tank"/man cave as we build
« Reply #69 on: Dec 24, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Well, couldnt work on the hut on saturday, but i finally got the time to make an auger rack for the quad(s)(us and another family have the exact same quad)
 Decided i didn't want to spend the $40 for an atv ice auger rack so i made my own. It friction fits into the dune flag holes and also uses bungee cords, so i can pop it off for trail riding. for padding i cut up foam pool noodles with a slot cut in, and shoved them into a hole cut by a doorknob hole cutter. test drive over snowbanks and bumps and it works great. best thing is that it was free!  If you have made one please post pics or comments, as well as anyone with improvements/suggestions.

front view, as well as homemade tackle box holder in back

off

bit end

powerhead end

Then today me and my dad put up the ceiling

and the last of the panneling

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:51 PM »
We spent a few hours on the hut today, got a fair bit of work done, but also important, basically planned the bench/bed floor plan. Goal is to get it on b4 school resumes.
The lighting made some pics kinda glared but what ever.

hole cover

gone fishing, be back for hunting season

pike hole cover :)

glare any better?

longer bench started

shorter bench started

Decided that the beds would be make from the bench with a swing up section that will make a lockable box when down on 3 walls and then a fold down bunk on top of the bench on the back wall.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: the "Shark Tank"/man cave as we build
« Reply #71 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:50 PM »
spent 5 hours, got a lot done ;D didnt bring the camera so will do next post in 2 parts, before we start next time, and after we finish. Next Saturday is planned to be the official "launch" date :), unless something goes horribly wrong on the stove   

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: the "Shark Tank" build thread
« Reply #72 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:05 PM »
finally figured how to mass resize! befor it was taking almost an hour to upload 3000x2000ish pixel photos to computer, upload 3000x2000ish pixel photos to photobucket, and then resize each photo individually. Now just upload to picasa, click export at 480 pixels, and takes less then 2 mins :). Anyways, its all ready to go other then we have to clamp the two chimney sections with a band clamp and then seal the roof around the chimney. Got everything sanded smooth like a babys bottom replaced all bed screws that where too long with small machine screws, washers, and nuts. We decided that we just wanted to get fishing so interior painting will wait untill next year, but we did paint the door because we had already taken off the seal. Now for the pics!!!

long bench stove wall both lids closed

long bench stove wall storage lid open

part of bed in "shelf" mode

bunk folded up, folded up inside is part of back wall bed

long bench stove wall bed lid up,legs out

bunk folded down

back wall in "bed mode"

shelf in previous pic turned into bed

hope this is enough insulation(3 inches with three individual layers of metal) what do you think???

converting stove from 3" pipe to 5"

thought this looked cool @)

CHROME stovepipe? I think yes! ;D @)

polishing the chrome(got about 12 feet of pipe off a semi truck)

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: the "Shark Tank" build thread (almost done! lots of pics**)
« Reply #73 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:19 PM »
nice looking shack, looks like it will make a good sleeping quarters when needed.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:26 PM »
nice looking shack, looks like it will make a good sleeping quarters when needed.
thanks, hoping to sleep there at least a few nights a year

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Bob123, you and your clan are doing an outstanding job, keep up the good work sir and look forward to tight lines and great company. Well done so far :)

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:19 PM »
Bob123, you and your clan are doing an outstanding job, keep up the good work sir and look forward to tight lines and great company. Well done so far :)
Thank you! Your looks great too,love the colors :). How long untill yours is ready do you think? :tipup:

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 02, 2013, 11:46 AM »
looks real nice would like to see pictures when done

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2013, 02:42 PM »
Thank you! Your looks great too,love the colors :). How long untill yours is ready do you think? :tipup:
Hoping to have it on the ice in a couple weeks, we are going to wait on the inside til the summer. This will give us time to think of how we want to place the bunks and such.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Jan 02, 2013, 05:52 PM »
Hoping to have it on the ice in a couple weeks, we are going to wait on the inside til the summer. This will give us time to think of how we want to place the bunks and such.
sounds good, we decided not to paint this winter either

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:29 PM »
ITS ON THE ICE ;D ;D ;D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! after cleaning the elevator, hopped in the truck to go load the shack. i forgot the camera for loading, but my mom brought it for unloading(thanks :)). So ill just try my best to describe it, first pulled it out with the small tractor, then got out the telehandler(a machine with a long telescoping arm for those of you that dont know what im refering to, pics later) and picked one end 6-8 feet off the ground, then backed the trailer under it and set it down, and finished by strapping it down. Then we headed down the road to pick up the auger and other things, while my uncle and cousin drove the shack and telehandler to town. Then met them at the elevator to weigh it.

shack with truck in kgs (11662 lbs) :-\ (the shack weighs about 2700-3000 lbs, ouch:[ )

at the elevator

shack on the truck

theres the telehandler and truck

telehander unloading truck on the smaller morris river

once it was unloaded we pulled it with a half ton to our spot

got a fire going, heated the whole shack VERY quick, had jackets off in less then 5 minutes. all that dusty work of insulating paid off :) (only part of the shack i didn't like doing)

floor spark protection is a no salesman sign.

on the river! (and new tires on the quad! ;D, the other ones were like bannana peels, completly smooth, like 5% tread ::). but i guess thats what happens when i put on 4000+ kms of WOT highway driveing ;D)(just realized im using lots of these things()(()) lol

lunch on the ice :)

put 2 full lenght 2x4's under each corner

the telehandler lifting the other end for the 2x4s

ill start by saying that we had 21 inches of ice. next ill say that according to the new holland website this thing weights a meager 16 thousand, yes 16 THOUSAND pounds!!!! oops ::). Whats the recommended weight for 21 inches anyway? it hit a bump, bounced, and the started popping and crackling a few hundred feet away! :-\. needless to say i was pretty nervous when that happened. later when shoveling the burn we found some pretty big new cracks. i don't think we want to do that again.

new tires, this set is what $500 bucks will get you :-\

i tried for over half an hour to get stuck with no luck ::). finally found a spot where the plow had pushed a big drift of snow. tires pulled threw pushing snow about 3/4 way up the radiator. when i finally stopped moving, they had plenty of traction to back out. i love these things ;D(old tires would lose traction going on a trail on an incline ::)

Well, now that's done there may not be much for updates around here :-\, but maybe a few from time to time with a fish pic, mod/paint, or a story. Im glad i could post it here, for the comments, as a log that a reminder of our build, and hopefully as a little motivation for somebody to build there own shack, like other posters of past helped us. Thanks to all who stopped by this thread, and offered tips or encouragement!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: 

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: the "Shark Tank" build thread (On Ice!!, pic finale)
« Reply #81 on: Jan 06, 2013, 12:04 AM »
Thanks for the photo finish. Must have raised your heartrate a bit when the ice started talking! Enjoy your shack. Well deserved.

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:17 AM »
Thanks for the photo finish. Must have raised your heartrate a bit when the ice started talking! Enjoy your shack. Well deserved.
thank you

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
« Reply #83 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:47 AM »
Amazing how quick the weight adds up,  glad you got the toys to move it around
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 06, 2013, 04:32 PM »
 you will enjoy your self in that very nice

Offline bob123

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 06, 2013, 05:41 PM »
you will enjoy your self in that very nice
yup, not even regretting not insulating the floor, the little stove cooked us and we were in socks jeans and shirt in a few minutes, and thanks
Amazing how quick the weight adds up
ya, we were shocked when it showed that, didnt think it would be near that much, oops

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.