Author Topic: Diving into new territory, my first Hard Side build. A work in progress.  (Read 46309 times)

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quite welcome Shake, and thanks for your kind words. I have all day to continue building, so more posts and pic's are on the way. Lining up the skids to the frame is taking critical consideration to ensure I make the proper holes. Whew, that first part of drilling will be a little nerve wracking for me, lol.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Ain't going to be a lightweight model is it?  ;-)
Chris Raymond

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ain't going to be a lightweight model is it?  ;-)
Trying everything I can to keep it light, but also durable. My lady would not step foot into a shanty that has the possibility of collapsing, which I don't as well. Hoping to keep it under 800 lbs, would really like to see sub 600 lbs if possible.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Further updates and pics.
Measuring skids to allow drilling of mounting bolt holes.

The nerve wracking drilling of mounting holes, using 5 carriage bolts per skid, 3/8 x 4". Steady as she goes.

A few pictures of the framing before its screwed, glued and fastened together, lets hope it comes out square.  :P

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
nice, i am jealous

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
Trying everything I can to keep it light, but also durable. My lady would not step foot into a shanty that has the possibility of collapsing, which I don't as well. Hoping to keep it under 800 lbs, would really like to see sub 600 lbs if possible.
Looking at the materials I think more like 1500 to 2000lbs.

Would make a great contest to guess your shanty weight!
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lol michianafisherman, that sounds like an awesome idea. Even I have no clue how much it will weigh til done, and I 'know' what materials I am going to use. My father kept scratching his head when I would discuss this with him, and his major concern as well was the weight factor. The base will be the major weight but a solid foundation for sure. The walls and roof will be made out of lightweight materials, hence 2" x 1.5" studs, 1" furring strips, and 1/4 inch luan for the outside walls. Flooring will be 1/2 4-ply plywood.
Now to think of a winners prize, for the one that guesses closest to the actual total weight, hmmmm.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hopefully all these pictures and information helps others and inspires them to build their own Ice Castle. Comments and criticism are always welcome and well received.  :tipup:

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Alright, the framing has commenced.
Tools of the trade, oh wait, how did that beverage get involved, oh well, its a goner.

3" deck screws to help keep it together in heavy wind and towing situations.

Something that I learned is that if your diagonals measure equally corner to corner, your rather straight. We will see :)

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looks good to me. Ive always wanted to build one. Will be checking in often. Keep the pics coming. Who doesn't love them a little Milwaukee's best.

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
LOOKS GOOD! cant wait for more pics.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hopefully this gives a better idea of the general floor/skid layout.

A few pic's of the bolt on emergency removeable ski/skids in their infancy. They will be removed and modified with uhmv and plywood for a better surface area to allow better towing.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Time to start cutting some plywood for the flooring, its starting to take shape. Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.  :icefish:

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, time for a little sleep. So we will leave this as a fun little picture of things to come. Lol.

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Who doesn't love them a little Milwaukee's best.

exactly...not only that, it's beast ice!  ;D

looking great quantumn...quite the progress you're making.  love watching these threads and thinking, "some day"....  :thumbsup:

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks Shake for your support, always a driving force is feedback. I plan on getting the walls built this weekend and before then possibly beefing up the skids to allow better planing on top of the snow.
Anyone have any ideas to help me achieve this?  :icefish:

Offline frawlsmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks Shake for your support, always a driving force is feedback. I plan on getting the walls built this weekend and before then possibly beefing up the skids to allow better planing on top of the snow.
Anyone have any ideas to help me achieve this?  :icefish:

If you can get some hands on some PVC puckboard, from a hockey rink, that stuff works great! Check out my thred call 'New Hut Build" for ideas.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Thanks frawlsmaster, I will definitely look into the local hockey rinks for some scrap puckboard.

So I have about an hour before heading to work and decided to experiment a little on my skids. I cut some 4" x 48", 1/2" thick plywood strips that was leftover from making the floor. I then proceeded to cut kerfs (grooves) about 1/4" deep and 1/4" apart. A little time consuming but I was curious if I could get the wood to bend over the rounded edge of the skid without snapping in half.

I then layed the strip down next to the skid and took an assessment to ensure I had the proper length of bendable area.

And now the moment of truth, to apply pressure and hope for the best. Fingers crossed.

OH YEAH!!!!!! Success is a wonderful thing. Most likely as I attach this to form the bend, I will fill the kerfs with a combo of waterproof glue and sawdust to fill the kerfs and provide added strength(unless someone has better experience and can suggest something else to fill in the kerfs). Once these are completed, then its just a matter of attaining some puckboard or uhmv to further strengthen my skids up and allow a slick surface for towing. I love when a plan works, lol.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
The plywood will break off in the unsupported areas. The way to fix would be to cut a 2x2 curved piece to give it the strength it needs. Fill kerfs  with waterproof glue. The front takes all the abuse. The weight of the whole shanty has to ride over ice chunks and stuff. So make the front of the ski the strongest.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
Taht bent plywood was a sweet idea. It should help it ride over the snow instead of digging in.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
The plywood will break off in the unsupported areas. The way to fix would be to cut a 2x2 curved piece to give it the strength it needs. Fill kerfs  with waterproof glue. The front takes all the abuse. The weight of the whole shanty has to ride over ice chunks and stuff. So make the front of the ski the strongest.

Good call Michianafisherman. I will definitely put some thought into that 2 x 2 idea. Even though I will be lining the bottom of the skids with puckboard or uhmv, I need to look into supporting the top side of the plywood. Tossing the idea around of forming a "pontoon" type setup with fleece/fiberglass resin/expand-a-foam to give it support and also to keep it lightweight. Crazy thoughts in the U.P. here, lol.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Taht bent plywood was a sweet idea. It should help it ride over the snow instead of digging in.

Definitely in my neck of the woods, snow covering is a major concern, not to mention slush build up at times. Thanks Da Man, hopefully once it is done, I will be on top instead of plowing :). The bent plywood was my fathers idea so he deserves the credit.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok, got most of the day off to work on the castle. I'll keep you all posted with pics and descriptions as I progress. WooT, time to build>>>>> :icefish:

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sort of off topic here, but as I was searching for my chalk-line tool, I found this. My father gave this to me last year and I always knew I would find a use for it.

Either a wall decoration or would really like to use it to catch a trophy northern, then have them both mounted as a dedication to my father, oh the possibilities.
Has anyone else ever seen one of these poles?

Offline shake

• Team IceShanty Regular
Either a wall decoration or would really like to use it to catch a trophy northern, then have them both mounted as a dedication to my father, oh the possibilities.
Has anyone else ever seen one of these poles?

I had one similar to that...not nearly as cool and was all plastic.  The little button behind the reel jigs the rod, correct? Would be awesome to get that trophy pike!

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Well I ran into issues today, mostly cutting the plastic to use for the bottom of my skids. But I was able to make progress and glue is drying. Since my skids are 10 feet long, a sheet of plywood only comes in 8 feet lengths, I had to miter 2 strips together to get the proper length. Sorry for the close up shots, lol.

And now my lame attempt at cutting the plastic runners, oh what a chore that turned out to be.

Finally here you can see the plastic cut to width and in the background the plywood is glued and clamped til tomorrow, whew, what a day.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice job on the shack man!!  :thumbsup:

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline ice.ice.baby

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking good, it's fun to watch it come together. Go Pack Go! Sorry I'm a Packer fan and it is Sunday after all.

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Looking good, it's fun to watch it come together. Go Pack Go! Sorry I'm a Packer fan and it is Sunday after all.

Lol, I won't hold that against ya Ice. :) Football sunday will make it difficult to make allot of progress today on the castle, but glue does take time to dry, right?

Offline Quantumn

• Team IceShanty Regular
OK, so learned a valuable lesson last night. "Do not attempt to bend plywood in 40 degree temperature." The end result was a snapped piece of plywood, doh.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.