Author Topic: Question about camper on ice  (Read 1618 times)

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
Question about camper on ice
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:25 AM »
Hi, Ive been reading on this site for quite some time now and finally signed up.

I bought a 19 foot carri-lite camper about a month ago and have been converting it into a ice house. What i plan to do is put down a 2x8 on the ice... crank the camper up and take the wheels off (its a tandem axle)... and then set it back down and let the leaf springs sit on the 2x8. My question is if over time the 2x8 would end up sinking into the ice (maybe from the ice melting on top and then refreezing)? Because the last thing I want is the hub getting down in the ice and not being able to get it cranked back up when its time to get it off the ice.

I didn't know how everyone did with wheels that you have to take off... Ill take any suggestions  :-\

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
Re: Question about camper on ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 11:31 AM »
You have to worry about the 2X8's also. They can't be left frozen in the ice either! Against the law in most states! That said, Welcome to the site!! Now maybe someone can answaer the question for him!!  :icefish:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Yeah, I'm not planning to leave the 2x8's... I'm just worried about the hubs getting stuck and then the 2 jacks that I have mounted on the rear bumper not being able to jack it up. Once I get it up I can chip the 2x8's free from the ice.

Offline North

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2011, 12:03 PM »
You shouldn't have a problem unless it rains and re-freezes or the snow melts and re-freezes...  You'll have to keep an eye on it, and possibly jack it up and add another 2x8 if the bottom one starts to get covered with ice...  A friend does his this way and has never had any trouble.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2011, 04:17 PM »
why not set it up as a tuber style shack instead of dealign with taking off wheels and worrying about freezing in? Cut holes in the floor and drop some pvc sleeves down to fish through.....or you can deck it out and use a catch cover system

catch cover has a website if you want to see their products....
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:15 PM »
That's something I'll have to think about if I find out it doesn't work the way I want it to or i find that I'm losing a lot of fish. The camper sits around 22 inches (to the top of the hole) off the ground which seems like a lot. When the wheels are off its about 16-17 inches to the top of the hole. I actually have catch covers in there already. I also got the 18 inch hole sleeves that I cut down to 16 inches. I think it will work alright, it might just be a little bit of work the first time out. It's a permy so I'm not planning on moving it around to often.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I have a shack that is 20" and one that is 22" off the ice and I use the catch covers 18" sleeves. When drilling i just slow the auger down when I get close to the bottom of the ice. Than the slush piles up right by the hole instead of flying out away from the hole. This slush right by the hole than allows you to have an air tight seal with the tube.....FYI in case you havent used them yet. ;D

Offline 641cfrank

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2011, 10:51 AM »
I take it you put your sleeve in after you drill the hole? Do you have any problems with slush in the hole?

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2011, 11:30 AM »
yes I drop the sleeve down after I drill.... I use a fish elevator to clean slush out of the hole and to bring my fish up into the shack....here are some links..

this is a link to the fish elevator website
http://www.thefishelevator.com/

here is a link to the vid of the elevator in action....Its made here in WI..

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.