Author Topic: New Ice Shack spring project  (Read 57638 times)

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
New Ice Shack spring project
« on: Jan 12, 2011, 03:07 PM »
I picked this beast up about a month ago, I paid $100.00 for it and can't wait to rip it apart.  The plan is to gut it out, insulate the floor and frame her up.  I am planning on using the existing roof cap.  It should give me approximately 10' X 6' 6" of usable space on the inside.

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New Ice Shack spring project
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2011, 04:25 PM »
Drill some holes in the floor and it's ready to go haha  ;D

Back in the day my family had a pop up almost identical to that one.  Boy do I miss camping in that thing.  Good luck on the project.
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2011, 05:08 PM »
I am hoping to be able to fit at least four holes in the floor with covers depending on how the frame is set up.  I am going to try to salvage the dinette in the front along with the heater and sink on the middle wall.  The tentative plan is to put a bunk bed type set up on the rear wall and completely wire it up with lighting and outlets when we get it framed up with windows

Offline Big Fortin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Will be nice when it is done post lots of pictures  ;)

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:33 PM »
It's actually not a bad idea to use one of those as a base.  They don't weigh that much and have a lot of things like a heater, fridge, dinnette/bed already built in. 
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline willie1280

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2011, 08:46 PM »
Looks like a steal for $100 bucks!!  Even if you ripped the thing down to the frame, still worth the $100 bucks.

NICE SCORE!!

Offline terry fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2011, 04:16 AM »
That looks like a fun project. Cant wait to see the photos when your done.
Fish on !

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:48 AM »
I was thinking about doing the pine tongue and groove on the inside, but now I am thinking about going with the cedar. I think I better start picking up a few items here and there each week.  I think this might get a tad bit expensive.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2011, 10:55 AM »
I built this for my nephew this summer, I am thinking that I should have just put some runners under this and used it for my ice shack.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:01 AM »
That would be awesome to see on the ice. Or like one of those crooked houses playhouses.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2011, 11:03 AM »
too bad my big arse doesn't fit through the door very well. LOL

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 04:16 PM »
I finally got a start on ripping her apart.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 05:21 PM »
Good time to get those ice fishing projects rolling! ;D Looks like it will make a nice unit!
Fish on!

Offline sawmillr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jun 04, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Looks like you got a good start,keep us posted.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 02:04 PM »
Finally able to get back to my project.  I am no longer going to keep the original base.  What a rotted mess.  It's now going to get ripped apart all the way to the frame.

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Hey rjluke70,
 There is a pop up camper build from the metal frame here in the thread called amazingly enough, the Popup camper build ! Joedirt started in the very same place you are now and it can be frustrating ! Check out the post and it will give you a wealth of tips and tricks that will save you a lot of time and money !

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2012, 03:32 PM »
I did see that build, I can't believe how many screws are in these pop up campers.  It really amazes me on how cheaply built these campers are for what they cost new.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 08:34 AM »
More of the mess

Offline Bigfish713

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 02:18 PM »
Take the metal u are tearing of it to the scrap yard u will get some cash back to use for new materials.

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jun 01, 2012, 07:41 PM »
Lookin like a good project. Keep the pics a comin!

Im still looking for a donor pop up to build mine out of....
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jun 05, 2012, 01:20 PM »
So after the last couple nights at work, I've been playing with a 3d floor planner web site and thought that I had come up with the "Ultimate Ice Shack"  plan.  A little large on the inside at 12' x 6'.  So today I am back at ripping the old camper apart and have an idea.  What if I shorten the plan and only bring the back wall to the end of the wheel wells and leave the area behind the wheel wells an open floor for hauling the snowmobile and portable?  The benefits less to build, lighter, and I could do the base camp thing and still run and gun with the portable and sled.  On the down side less people can fish out of it/camp.  Any thoughts? 

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jun 05, 2012, 02:31 PM »
Thats a good idea actually.

Lets you haul stuff without messing up the inside of the shack. (and gives you a porch to sit on during the warmer days)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #22 on: Jun 05, 2012, 03:43 PM »
So after the last couple nights at work, I've been playing with a 3d floor planner web site and thought that I had come up with the "Ultimate Ice Shack"  plan.  A little large on the inside at 12' x 6'.  So today I am back at ripping the old camper apart and have an idea.  What if I shorten the plan and only bring the back wall to the end of the wheel wells and leave the area behind the wheel wells an open floor for hauling the snowmobile and portable?  The benefits less to build, lighter, and I could do the base camp thing and still run and gun with the portable and sled.  On the down side less people can fish out of it/camp.  Any thoughts?

Don't forget about having enough tongue weight if you are planning to have the snowmobile on the very back.  Otherwise, your backside might chew a hole through yer britches if she gets loose on ya!
  BE THERE!

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jun 05, 2012, 04:48 PM »
I'm worried about having too much tongue weight, I am planning on packing the front with deep cycle batteries and the sleeping bunks.  It will be a trial and error type thing, I think I will go with the full frame for the shack.  The fishing group has voted for the room.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jun 05, 2012, 04:54 PM »
And the mess continues,  I need to hire some high school kids for this project, what a pain for a fat guy with a bad back.  Hopefully if it doesn't rain tomorrow, I will have it down to the frame.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jun 05, 2012, 05:00 PM »
Here is the general idea that I am going for.

http://pl.an/n69stm

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jun 05, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Looks good Luke, kinda what I was planning but Im having a small bathroom.

Offline rjluke70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jun 05, 2012, 07:50 PM »
I was playing with idea of a small bathroom also, but what I think I may do is build a bucket toilet in one of the wheel well boxes with a removable top that will double as a sitting area with the toilet seat hidden under neath.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jun 05, 2012, 08:39 PM »
Nice plan! Plenty of room....and a stove to boot!

Sorry, but I couldn't help but notice the crashed out drunk guy in the picture!  :roflmao:

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

surflizard

« Reply #29 on: Jun 06, 2012, 05:46 AM »
Give the frame a real good once over when you get her stripped all the way, a lot of them have rot from being parked on grass and it can open up a whole new can of worms.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.