Author Topic: Why do all the all the new light have to be disposable battery powered  (Read 2896 times)

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
I just dont get it. Clam is selling a power staiton and no lights that can be powered off of it. I have seen there old rope light ones in the stores.  The frabill lights are all battery powered, that will cost a a lot in the long run.  I guess rechargeale batteries are the way to go. I just wanted some good 12v  l.e.d string lights this year.

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
I think they are all in it together  >:( keep taking our money. I cant find rope lights for some reason.......

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
They'll keep coming out with more products.

I use rechargeable batteries.  They cost more, but it's nice not to have to keep buying batteries.

Wiener

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
I use rechargeables to but they don't last as long. I want so good led lights that run off a sealed battery. I bought some off ebay and they almost started my shack on fire they lasted a whole 30 seconds. The wire were so thin I don't think it could handle a 9ah battery. 

Offline vigilante

• IceShanty Rookie
I was just looking for a decent light system for my small clam 2000.  Dicks sporting goods had the rope lights you are talking about.  What models do you guys suggest for a small hut like mine but yet bright all around?

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I use rechargeables to but they don't last as long. I want so good led lights that run off a sealed battery. I bought some off ebay and they almost started my shack on fire they lasted a whole 30 seconds. The wire were so thin I don't think it could handle a 9ah battery.  

Sounds like there was a short in the wiring.. Or they were designed for 6 volt and was connected to 12 volt.  Assuming they were designed for 12 volt.. ANY 12 volt battery will work.  Amperage draw is determined by the resistance of the bulbs (Amperage= Volts/ Resistance).  It is possible that the wiring was undersized for the amperage draw, But LED's draw very little current.  Could be that a fully charged lead acid battery is actually closer to 13.2 volts, But the amp hour rating has nothing to do with it other then longer run time.

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
Thanks for the info.  I think they were just junk to start with the wires were probally like 30 gauge wire. Only half the light turned on. There could of been a short somewhere in the cord. It melted all the coating off the wires and smoked like crazy. They were to cheap to be good. I guess i learned my lesson.

Offline ripalip

• IceShanty Rookie
check the automotive section for your 12 volt ropelights? those cheesy licence plate lights or underglow.. i was thinking of just using some interior lamp sockets but they would drain the juice a fair bit quicker than led's.

Offline racrow

• IceShanty Rookie
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-12v-WHITE-clear-LED-rope-light-6-6ft-Custom-Cut-/290378766353?pt=Lamps_US&hash=item439bec5811

I got these and they work great in my Clam thermal X, they come with fastners but i also used velcro and zip ties.  I bought a 12v 9a battery and mounted it in the sled to hook them up and very bright, i could easily tie jigs one.  Hope this helps  $10 with $10 shipping but worth it to me :tipup:

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I've been using 12v led for 3 years now. Power them from 12v 7 ah or 1.3 ah sealed vex type batteries. Go to superbrightled.com and look under the 12 volt section. The one I get is for an 1156/1157 socket. It is a 9 led 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square circuit board. About 20$.  I mount it in a 12 volt accesory light with buit in on/off button. You can get these for like 6$ and they take the 1156/1157 lamps. Plug in the led, mount it to a pole and run wire down to battery. They last forever on 12v 7ah battery. Works great and a lot of light.
I've also bought amber colored led and rigged up same way for stealthier night fishing. I've got these rigged in my otter small den and frabbil ultra lite.
Paul

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
Sears had rechargeable LED lights for around $20 just before Christmas.  No fan on it but it throws off a lot of light.

BUT I HAVE A QUESTION:  Why do you need additional light in your flipover shelter?  On a normal day, I have plenty to see by and if I need to focus a little more, I have a clip light on my hat that works great.   If you are out at night, yea, you need lots of light, but during the day?? 

Offline chilitokid

• IceShanty Rookie
Is there a reason you guys don't have one of these?

CR123A Lithium Pack-Away Lantern

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a lantern, mag flashlight, LED  HT "UFO" light and I just recently ordered a besthongkong rope light. To me LED
gives a better light. I think they all have their place and usefulness. I would however like to know from you fellas who
ordered from besthongkong how long it took to get your order. When I read the info on their site it sounded like the stuff
was going to be shipped from the states but now that I have place my order I see that it coming from Hong Kong. I PM
several members about it and no one has responded. Thanks
Greg
Fish on!

Offline stocks1

• IceShanty Rookie
You can find some real good quality ice fishing lights on Ebay.......just type in "led ice fishing lights" and you'll see the listings.  There are AA battery powered strings and a 12v string with super bright white LEDs.
You can also find them at   http://outdoorprostore.com/equipment/led-ice-fishing-lights/
Stocks.1

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have a lantern, mag flashlight, LED  HT "UFO" light and I just recently ordered a besthongkong rope light. To me LED
gives a better light. I think they all have their place and usefulness. I would however like to know from you fellas who
ordered from besthongkong how long it took to get your order. When I read the info on their site it sounded like the stuff
was going to be shipped from the states but now that I have place my order I see that it coming from Hong Kong. I PM
several members about it and no one has responded. Thanks
Greg

Not long. I think I got mine in 7 or 8 days. 10 at the most.

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gordo
Thanks for your reply! ;D I think they shipped on 28th or 29th.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline vigilante

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyway you can post a picture of how brite the lights are?

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular

That would be extremely nice if it was rechargeable rather than having to change the batteries.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyway you can post a picture of how brite the lights are?

Offline vigilante

• IceShanty Rookie
^^^^^^^^
Thank you!

Offline SoftSpot_716

• Team IceShanty Regular
clam has these out   http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=19291&pc=2619 rope lights with mounting hardware and they run on a flasher battery  only 25 bucks for the lights and the mounting hardware

Offline truckhuntfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You'll have that
wal-mart and auto zone is where i got the 12v lights inside of mine.   LEDs draw 1/4 the "juice" of incadescent bulbs
-Truckin , Huntin , and Fishin , That's how I roll

Ha Haa Haaa  Did that hurt right away ???

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
How about solar powered Xmas LED lights and charge them at home and use bread ties to string them up And put the solar panel outside during the day cheap and should be on end of season sale Might work ???  :tipup: :tipup:

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Clams large fan is 12 volt,heck it even comes with the cord to plug into the power station. If I remember right, the frabil light even has a power port on it for plugging it in.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What about these? You could get these and find some clips to snap them into. They are sealed.

http://www.pcboard.ca/kits/ledlite/
jbird68

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular

I have some of the Coleman 4AA pack away lanterns and they work well.  Only question is how they'd do with NiMh rechargeables.  Guess I'll have to try.  They work well at the cabin for the period of no light prior to and after generator hookup. I'd bet that 1 or 2 in a fish ohouse would be plenty especially if there is any reflectivity. 

Also great around the house for emergency light.  Like the OP said though they would be awesome if plug in rechargeable.

Offline bigmk49

• IceShanty Rookie
jus thought id chime in..i sell batteries and if you guys wanted to go with rechargeables id say go with powerex..longest run time on the market and their chargers are also a condiotner..alot more cycles out of them..just my 2 cents
love them fish with teeth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.