Author Topic: First shack! 12'x8'... weight an issue? with pics!  (Read 4151 times)

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
First shack! 12'x8'... weight an issue? with pics!
« on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:50 AM »
I'm building a 12x 8 shack... Wondering if weight is going to be an issue as far as towing it on ice...?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: First shack! 12'x8'... weight an issue? with pics!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Welcome to the site...  That is one heck of a shanty...Good thing you dont have far to go with it... ;D ;D     How come I dont see any skis or wheels????...   What do you plan on pulling it with????
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:00 AM »
that's quite the palace!!!
   Can't comment on the weight ...what do you plan on towing it with and sure hope you have good thick ice
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:06 AM »
yup you cant see the skis because they're a little too short for my liking. They 4''x12''x12' made out of red cedar wood... old stairway converted for ice fishing...hehe! You can see a little bit of it on the first pic...

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:09 AM »
You better hope you don't get much snow...or that thing is going NO WHERE!!!  :(  I have an 8x8 with 2x2 beams and luan and that is hard enough to move around!! Welcome to the site!! 8)

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:13 AM »
You better hope you don't get much snow...or that thing is going NO WHERE!!!  :(  I have an 8x8 with 2x2 beams and luan and that is hard enough to move around!! Welcome to the site!! 8)
Haha! the good thing is its right on top of the boat ramp already, worst case scenario: Backyard shed for sell. I DO NOT DELIVER...hehe! seriously though, that would breakmy heart... :(

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:16 AM »
that's quite the palace!!!
   Can't comment on the weight ...what do you plan on towing it with and sure hope you have good thick ice
Lake champlain, canada. If I'm not mistaken last year they had 22 inches at one point...

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2010, 11:30 AM »
welcome to the shanty! looks great, but it will be heavy! make sure that you can remove everything inside before you move it.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Can't say for sure. If you have a 4wd with chains you might be alright. :-\
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2010, 02:29 PM »
We'll use my friend's pick-up to move it, its 4 wheel drive... I really hope it works guys...

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Add some UHMW plastic to the bottom of the runners and it should pull fairly easy. Most industrial plastic suppliers will carry it in sheet format, or check your local hockey rinks (they call it "puck board"), they line the boards with it and change it every so often, sometimes they let you grab a few of the old sheets. Rip it the same width as your runners, or even a bit wider and attach it with counter sunk screws, it makes a huge difference in how slippery the runners are in the snow.

Great looking shack by the way, I'm jealous!
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 02, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Add some UHMW plastic to the bottom of the runners and it should pull fairly easy. Most industrial plastic suppliers will carry it in sheet format, or check your local hockey rinks (they call it "puck board"), they line the boards with it and change it every so often, sometimes they let you grab a few of the old sheets. Rip it the same width as your runners, or even a bit wider and attach it with counter sunk screws, it makes a huge difference in how slippery the runners are in the snow.

Great looking shack by the way, I'm jealous!
Thanks! I actually thought of crazy carpets but it wouldnt be very durable... I'll go look for puck board, got lots of ice rinks around here... Thanks for the tip!

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 02, 2010, 04:28 PM »
As I have said before, a 4x4 (or two 2x4s) covered with metal roof flashing. Easy and cheap skis. I could push my 8x8 shack by hand. Your shack definitely looks heavier than mine was, but a vehicle should be able to pull it fine. Don't pull it over anything but snow and ice though.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 02, 2010, 05:25 PM »
I actually thought of crazy carpets but it wouldnt be very durable...

Crazy carpets tend to wear through in a real hurry, especially on something that heavy, but they work great up until they do  ;D
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 02, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty!  Nice shack!  You've got a big one there.  Mine is only 6x7.  Once on the ice I think a ATV with chains will pull it if the ice is bare or very little snow.  Any amount of snow is gonna make it very difficult to move.  Fin

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:00 PM »
Welcome to the Shanty!  Nice shack!  You've got a big one there.  Mine is only 6x7.  Once on the ice I think a ATV with chains will pull it if the ice is bare or very little snow.  Any amount of snow is gonna make it very difficult to move.  Fin
Thanks! Its a big and windy lake, so I really hope that factors in leaving the ice pretty much bare. Last year there wasnt any snow att all when I went fishing there so lets hope its a regular thing... BTW! Thanks Packers for shutting out the freaking Jets!!!

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:05 PM »
...BTW! Thanks Packers for shutting out the freaking Jets!!!

;D Any time!!  ;D
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 02, 2010, 06:25 PM »
Thanks! Its a big and windy lake, so I really hope that factors in leaving the ice pretty much bare. Last year there wasnt any snow att all when I went fishing there so lets hope its a regular thing... BTW! Thanks Packers for shutting out the freaking Jets!!!
It was a win, but not a power impressive one that we are lacking of this year.  Fin

Offline Tipup Marathon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yay fishing
« Reply #18 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Now that is one impressive shack! Can't wait to see when its done.  If you have 2 snowmobiles and something smooth on the bottom you should be fine.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #19 on: Nov 02, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Hi emkay...

Welcome to the site!!

Shack looks really good...but you made the same mistake I made when I built my first one...there is no need to have the extra 1.5 ft above your head + the added height of the pitch of your roof...this equates to a lot of extra weight.  Other than that she looks like a beauty!!

shawno  8)

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2010, 04:20 AM »
I fish Champ also. The conditions change week to week. However you get it on remember you need to get it off. The lake may hit you with a midseason thaw. Were are you putting that mansion on?

Offline CanIceCpl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings from Ottawa, ON. Go Sens Go !
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2010, 07:55 PM »
My ice house was 8x10, ours are very similar.

Pulling it in the winter was no problem at all but come spring time when gravel road was mud (not ice) 4x4 was screaming in pain.

If you are bringing it up and down the ramp - a lot of muscle or a wheel system?

Have a great time!

D&T

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2010, 10:32 PM »
My ice house was 8x10, ours are very similar.

Pulling it in the winter was no problem at all but come spring time when gravel road was mud (not ice) 4x4 was screaming in pain.

If you are bringing it up and down the ramp - a lot of muscle or a wheel system?

Have a great time!

D&T
Well I figured how to bring it down on the ice... My friend owns a 4x4 pickup, we'll pull it down. I just hope the truck is strong enough to bring it back up when the season is done... worst case scenario, Ihave all winter to build a boat out of it...haha!

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 03, 2010, 10:35 PM »
I fish Champ also. The conditions change week to week. However you get it on remember you need to get it off. The lake may hit you with a midseason thaw. Were are you putting that mansion on?
I just bought a land (not sure its the correct term, yard maybe?)... And its right across the street from where the pictures were taken... this is where it'll sleep during summer...

rickl1968

« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2010, 06:37 AM »
Welcome to the site!

Nice shack guys, alot of the shacks up here in North Western Ontario are this size or bigger. The key to towing is the skis. The ice launch owner tries to tell everone that is thinking of building a new shack, is to make sure your skis stick out at least a foot or two on both sides. The longer the ski the easier to pull and is less likely to get stuck in deep snow or large drifts. Make sure to put eye hooks on both ends incase you do get stuck so you can pull it both ways. The rink/puck boards are the way to go especially on large shacks you only want to do it once. Use wafer head screws and counter sink em. Rember to pull it slow on thick ice and you should be good to go. I usually wait till I see a few big ones out there before I bring mine out.
Keep the pictures coming.

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2010, 09:23 PM »
I just bought a land (not sure its the correct term, yard maybe?)... And its right across the street from where the pictures were taken... this is where it'll sleep during summer...

I ment what part of the lake. Your picture looks like alburg passage.

Offline emkay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 06, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Oh! my bad! its in Missiquoi bay... the only part of the lake that's in Canada.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.