Author Topic: my insulated CLAM HUB ( Tamarack ). Lots of Pics  (Read 8607 times)

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
my insulated CLAM HUB ( Tamarack ). Lots of Pics
« on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:24 PM »
After insulating my single man flip over with reflectix.  I wanted to insulate to CLAM HUB.  Reflectix material is way to bulky and heavy to insulate a HUB with. *** Unless you want to take it down every time you fold your HUB up and store etc...

Ebay:  Emergency blankt.  Got a 4 pack for $6.  They also come in gold.  Not sure if there is any retained heat differance, or just color?

I lined the roof by linging the ERB @ a diagnol inside. 

I had to cut slits in the middle of the ERB, so when tucked under the rods, it could go all the way up to the center of the HUB.

I then placed duct tape over the edges that got cut.  The ERB is extremely durable.  But once its cut its tears real easily.  By placing the duct tape along the edges that got cut, and re-enforced the center that got cut, there was no concern of it tearing anymore.

The HUB roof lining is held onto the rods by velcro straps.  Undo the velcro straps so the ERB can easily slid under the rods.

Office clips:  Not sure what these are called.  They are pretty cheap.  Im sure you can get them @ any office max or office depot store?  I had them in my desk...

Flooring.  Got from Fleet Farm. 5x5.  Insulated non-slip rubber backing.  Says can get years of use out of it with lots of wear & tear.  And can be just hosed off.

I lined the roof by placing the ERB (emergency blankt ) up under the rods.

There will be excess hanging over @ each end.

Slide the ERB all the way down the rods.  Unfortunetely there is an outter sleve in each corner where all the rods connect.  I could not figure out a way to get under it.  So the ERB only goes down so far.  :(

Then take a 2nd ERB and do the exact same process as above and line the other side of the HUB.
Now you can take that 2nd layer of ERB that is excess and tuck the 1st excess lay under the 2nd.
*** what I plan to do is take some duct tape and tape the 2nd excess layer onto the 1st layer.  This way there will be no excess ERB hanging down. No photos of this...yet

Once the roof is completely lined with both ERB's you will see a lot of material hanging down the sides.
I guess you could cut it , and then use duct tape on the cuts so it doesnt tear.
But what I did was folded it under each other right along the seem to make a straight flush line.

I then took the office clips, and clipped that folded ERB to the seem of the HUB that sticks out.

This way you have a nice clean line without having to mess with cutting the ERB etc...

The only downfall I can think of, is each time you set-up and take down you will need to remove the clips and re-attach.  Oh well.  Takes 1 min or less.

And. ta daaaa.  Done.

I dont know how well this will work or how much heat it will retain.  But for less then $10 and 60 mins you cant go wrong.

FYI:  WARNING... if you have a cat... they will constantly be playing with the ERB

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: my insulated CLAM HUB ( Tamarack ). Lots of Pics
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:29 PM »
I thought about doing the side too... but I want to wait and try this 1st.
If I lined the sides with ERB I would feel like I was the middle of a Herschey Kiss.

I had to use the clips because I could not find anything that will adhere to the material.  Duct tape wouldnt even adhere. 

Offline pikemaster1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:31 PM »
looks great i will have to try it out ;D

Offline frldyz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2012, 02:32 PM »
My only regret...
And maybe someone could do this for me(us) if they decide to try this...

I wanted to set the HUB up in the garage with a thermometer inside.  Record the temp.
Then turn the heat on my Mr. Heater.  record the temp.

Then record the temp. with the mr heat on and insulation up.

Curious to see how much warmer it will get.  How much faster.  And how longer it will retain the heat.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2012, 06:28 PM »
Great job. We have many creative people on this site! ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Even if the reflective stuff doesn't do a thing (it should), the air trapped between the blanket and the tent should really help with the dripping condensation. I really wouldn't try to get it to fit to flat or too snug

Really nice mod, make sure to tell us how it works! I know there are a few threads floating around about doing this, and reflectix just doesn't work for Hub shacks. Good job and thanks for sharing!

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Nice mod... really thinking about how I could insulate the ceiling of my fatfish 6x12... I'm thinking about having reflectix or some other insulation rolled up in a bag in my sled for really cold days or overnight stays.  I usually don't set up the house unless it's really cold or we are on top of fish.  I was thinking I could either have velcro strips or snap buttons attached to fiberglass rods on ceiling.  Then when I want to add insulation, I could just velcro/snap the insulation up.  I just don't want to have to struggle with it while setting up/down and trying to fit hut in bag for storage.  I also don't want anything hanging too low from the ceiling as I am 6'5" and barely have enough clearance to stand up in my shack the way it is.... anyone have any input?

Offline AtlBraves12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 29, 2012, 12:20 PM »
I won't be home until Dec 8th, or so, to work on mine but if there isn't much ice (like last year) I will work on insulating my hub and post if it turns out... I really can't think about how I'm going to do it until I can see what I have to work with

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Have any of ya'll seen the "exhibit" where they sell the reflextex stuff? The one where they have constructed a small "bag" out of the stuff. They tell you to put your hand in there..........and you'd swear you stuck it in an oven, even no additional heat is applied. I mention this because even though the ERB doesn't have the bubbles layer in it, by having the air layer between the shanty top and the ERB, that's dead air, just like the bubbles provide. If you wonder if this will work, I suggest you make a small "bag" out of the ERB and stick your hand in it! Heat is essentially infrared radiation. Those are considered "long wave length" radiation, as opposed to say....ultra violet (blacklight), which are short. That shiny surface reflects 90%+ of the IR and bounces it back......into the shanty. When asking about how to test it, keep in mind that without either insulating the sides, or adding ERB to the sides, your shanty will lose heat quickly......especiall y on a windy day. ANYTHING you do to keep the heat in (reflective material, or insulation) will help keep things warmer inside. OH, regarding feeling like being inside a hershey's kiss, I can relate to that. There are a couple solutions to this. One is to "color" the ERB with something.......I doubt that paint will adhear......but that's the idea. See the IR will penetrate other materials until they hit the shiny surface and then they'll be bounced back!!!! Perhaps a better solution, albeit a tad more expensive, are another type of emergency blanket that is layered, with one side being silver and the other some color....red, green, etc. I believe they are about 5' x 4.5' or so. The thickness is very very minimal......nothing like the bubble reflective material. I looked quickly in google and found this link. http://www.overstock.com/Emergency-Preparedness/Space-Brand-All-weather-Olive-Blanket-Pack-of-2/4043974/product.html?recSet=6f07a4e6-4a77-4b61-995f-bd404fd211e2   The price is pretty close to what I paid, and I got green ones. I made a poncho out of one, and sort of an envelope (with the use of velcro tabs) out of the other. One year I was deer hunting and the wind was horrible. I was freezing to death so I wrapped myself with one of these blankets. I didn't have much wrapped around me, but I warmed instantly. Needless to say, the proof was in the puddin'. I hope this long winded response gives someone some help. I know your idea did me, but I'm going to go with the thicker blankets, rather than the bubble material!! Good luck all.....stay warm!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.