Author Topic: Milwaukee M18 Power Source  (Read 3662 times)

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
Milwaukee M18 Power Source
« on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:29 PM »
I purchased a couple M18 power source units so I could power my Helix5, and a string of LED lights in my hub shelter.  I was working on getting stuff hooked up today and have an issue.  i am not getting any power out of the 12v barrel connector on either of the Milwaukee power source units.  I have a Dewalt 20v power source and a Dewalt battery, and I am getting 12v of power out of that unit.  The Dewalt unit works perfect for powering the LEDs and the Helix5. 

Is there something else I need to do to use the m18 unit for 12v out of the barrel connector,  or do I just maybe have 2 faulty units? 
Give me a few ideas, and let me know how some of you used this power source for your sonar units.

Thanks!

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Milwaukee M18 Power Source
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2020, 01:43 PM »
Not to be a smart a$$, but the Milwaukee ones have an on/off switch.  Are you sure it's turned on?

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2020, 02:30 PM »
Yep, sure it is turned on.  I am no electrical wizard, but I have tried several different things.  The USB port works on both units, but the 12v port does not, with the switch on or off. 

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2020, 02:38 PM »
I'm guessing they got shorted; they blow faster than a fuse.  The 5v usb is robust, but not the 12volt

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2020, 03:54 PM »
There are 2 separate power supplies in the Milwaukee.
The 12 volt one is the one that I have had experience with and it is very weak when it comes to overloads or shorts.
If I was to use one for a power source (which I don't recommend) I would use nothing less than a 1 amp fuse.

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2020, 05:28 PM »
I'm guessing they got shorted; they blow faster than a fuse.  The 5v usb is robust, but not the 12volt

Hmm, that is weird.  Is there a way to verify for sure if it is blown or not?  Seems weird to me that on both units the 12v power outlet would be blown. I treated them no different than the Dewalt power source I also have. 

I want to work with the Milwaukee units because that is the platform I have quite a few big batteries.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:36 PM »
 are you using the same harness on each power source?  perhaps check for continuity in your wires.

only ever used the 12v jack on mine for the heated hoodie and it works fine but will be wiring up to run my flasher in the next couple days.  thinking i'll use an inline fuse holder i've got stashed somewhere to protect the power source, just in case.

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2020, 06:42 PM »
are you using the same harness on each power source?  perhaps check for continuity in your wires.

only ever used the 12v jack on mine for the heated hoodie and it works fine but will be wiring up to run my flasher in the next couple days.  thinking i'll use an inline fuse holder i've got stashed somewhere to protect the power source, just in case.

I have 3 harness I made up.  All 3 work on the Dewalt unit, none work with the M18 units.

Offline JohnJ1981

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DEUS VULT
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2020, 07:03 PM »
I have 3 harness I made up.  All 3 work on the Dewalt unit, none work with the M18 units.
Have you checked the 5mm barrel to the source with a meter? Next, I would call Milwaukee customer service and see if they have an engineer or someone with technical knowledge. But before you do that I would take it into a store that carries the heated clothing that it’s designed for or to someone who has the clothing and attach it to see if that functions properly. You may have  overloaded the circuits or an internal fuse was blown or took it out some internal electronic components. I doubt you would have two faulty sources both with the same circuit malfunction. The gentleman who said there are two power sources is correct, and it would have to have two separate circuits, one reduces 18v to 12v while the other is reduced to 5v nominal. Anyways, try that first and hopefully you can figure it out. Also maybe check current on everything you had hooked up to it initially to confirm the total current doesn’t exceed 1.75 - 2.0 A.
“Some of us are wise, and some of us are otherwise” M.R. Levin...

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2020, 08:36 PM »
I'm guessing I blew the 12v side of the power source.  The circuit on the Dewalt must be a little more robust because I had that one hooked up to all the same wires.  Maybe I will look into a buck converter and hook up a different way. 

I know that some guys have used this system for a long time, there is a possibility I had two faulty units, but I am not sure I want to shell out $30 for another unit.  Unless someone had another idea, I am going to set up a different way, but I still want to use the M18 batteries.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2020, 10:01 PM »
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=373623.0

return them as defective.

amazon sells a 3d plate for your battery and buck converters. i would go with the adjustable buck so you can dial in 13.8vdc. read reviews on the smaller amp versions. one does about half of it's advertised rating.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2020, 10:59 PM »
Pudsky,
Bigassbassman was having an issue similar to yours.  See this thread; reply #100 (page 4)

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=349286.90

D

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2020, 07:06 PM »
Ok, I got the Milwaukee M18 conversion done today.  I ordered a battery adapter, and a voltage reducer.  Mounted the assembly in the Humminbird shuttle and now I am good to go.  I can use my M18 batteries for drilling holes with my Eskimo Pistol bit, power my Helix5, and power my Milwaukee M18 lantern.  That provides plenty of light for my 949i shelter.  I should be able to get by with just bringing 2 5.0ah M18 batteries.  Maybe save a little weight, maybe not, but fun to tinker and learn with this kind of stuff.  I still want to do a run test with the Helix 5 with a fully charged 5.0ah M18 battery.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VSHHCYX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WY4P7W8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Peccavi18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:37 PM »
Why did you build your own powersource for more than it costs to buy a true Milwaukee one with a warrenty? I'm doing the same thing powering a Milwaukee Drill, Marcum Lx7, and lights on my sled, only difference is using 2 factory Milwaukee power sources

Offline winterbuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Why did you build your own powersource for more than it costs to buy a true Milwaukee one with a warrenty? I'm doing the same thing powering a Milwaukee Drill, Marcum Lx7, and lights on my sled, only difference is using 2 factory Milwaukee power sources

The Milwaukee powersources aren't very robust and will fail, you can build one yourself that'll source more current with greater reliability. 

Offline Bubbadoyle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:24 PM »
The Milwaukee powersources aren't very robust and will fail, you can build one yourself that'll source more current with greater reliability.
I agree. I’ve ruined two of them trying to power an electronic game call.

Offline Pudsky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:34 PM »

Yep, just as Bubbadoyle, and winterbuddy said the Milwaukee powersource is for very light duty.  Only supports 1amp of draw out of the 12v plug. I know there are guys that are using the Milwaukee power source and its working for them, but I ruined two of the power sources before I learned that, that was a $60 lesson.  The voltage regulator I chose supports 3 amps of draw. 

Offline xiaolu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2020, 06:03 AM »
I also have a DIY to convert M18 battery's 18V to (adjustable output) 12V, 3.0ah

Mostly ice fishing Lake Simcoe in southern Ontario, Canada, for lake trout (lakers), lake whitefish (whities), and jumbo yellow perch:-)

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:03 AM »
Same here.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14, 2020, 08:53 AM »
I also have a DIY to convert M18 battery's 18V to (adjustable output) 12V, 3.0ah

i like the clear tubing  you used. nice touch! to bad no one is 3d printing universal quick connects into their prints.

i found a 13.8vdc at 20 amps for 25$ i might play with on amazon, if i end up making one for my ridgid batteries.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2022, 02:09 PM »
I just fried my 3rd m18 power source, they all worked once. I'm not sending this one back to milwaukee as they will send another one and it won't work. I'm pissed because I use the m18 to drill holes, and other things around the house.

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2022, 04:09 PM »
Same here.

Stupid Question but what do you power with this unit ?
Budweiser pro staff

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2022, 06:05 PM »
I just fried my 3rd m18 power source, they all worked once. I'm not sending this one back to milwaukee as they will send another one and it won't work. I'm pissed because I use the m18 to drill holes, and other things around the house.

Been powering my Marcum for 6 years now using M-18 Power Source. No problems.  You must be exceeding the Maximum power output- ???
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2022, 08:00 AM »

Anything that requires 12V. Using this adapter I can power flasher, lights in tent, camera,  etc.  i just made up a variety of leads to match various units. Most of the time I use it to power lights in the flipover and as a back up source for other stuff.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2022, 08:52 AM »
Same here.

I just ordered these, I've gone through 3 milwaukee power source's, now I'll try this, If this doesn't work guess I'll try my vex battery.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2022, 09:49 AM »

thats a step down converter, some call them shunts, it converts power output to what you need.

I have a step down I use on my SM 40v batteries, the converter steps down voltage to 12.5 for me to use on my finders and other electronics. My 5ah 40v SM battery is almost equivalent to a 12v 16ah battery.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2022, 12:59 PM »
To lower DC voltages a cheap and dirty method is a buck converter.  These are electronic devices and are often rated @ 1 to 2 amps, full load.

Bigger and more robust buck converters are expensive.  And they are not often used because of their cost and limitations.

Get the instruction book for the battery.  Find the continuous current rating of the 12 V supply.  Put an in-line fuse rated at 80% of full load amps.between the source and the load.

Should work OK when your connected load  stays with in design limits...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline Barfnick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2022, 02:07 PM »

This one is good to 10A. I use it during the summer to power a water pump on our land to transfer water to the camper or to have a hose when burning brush. Works great!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.