Author Topic: Running your flasher off Milwaukee M18's  (Read 37036 times)

Offline buuddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Running your flasher off Milwaukee M18's
« Reply #60 on: Jan 08, 2018, 09:34 PM »
There's got to be a cheap, safe, reliable way to do this. People "risk" their phones every day plugging in to their vehicle 12v with a $2 step down converter to 5v USB to phone. I'm not an electrical engineer but it can't be rocket science.

This is the step down power supply that I use with my drill battery.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5A-Adjustable-Power-DC-DC-Step-down-Charge-Module-LED-Driver-With-Voltmeter-D/112034664967?hash=item1a15c95207:g:zTcAAOSwUn9aTafX
It has a volt meter that is switchable to show either input or output voltages.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:36 AM »
mainlander,
I'm powering a Helix 5 with a Milwaukee M18 9.0 amp battery using the Milwaukee Power Supply.  Am using a home built cable from the 12V output of the MPS to my Helix.  Works fine, however, I've only run it for 3 hrs off the battery (not sure how long it could go).

Offline mainlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:07 AM »
I'd say yep! As long as it's withing the rated input voltage.

So I tried running my ICE55 directly from the M18 and the flasher doesn't power up. On the multimeter the M18 is outputting 20V which is in the range to operate the flasher. I can run a 80mm 12V PC fan directly connected to the battery. I guess next i'll have to try and step down the voltage using some the ideas in this thread.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:20 AM »
Whitefish, thanks.
I am a little out of my league with translating electric lingo, so excuse my ignorance.
So I can literally remove old lead, freaking heavy battery, install this converter to the base plate of the Marcum where the old batter was, attach some splicers to the wires and attach to the 4 amp lithium?
How long might it run? ???
Gonna depend on a lot of variables.
How good the battery is and what the amp draw of the unit.
I've tested a 5 amp hr Milwaukee battery with a .5 amp load and it went for almost 13 hours.
Most Vexilars use "about" .175-.20 amps so would go longer.
Bottom line is your "mileage" may vary.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:40 PM »
Mainlander, are you using the Milwaukee Power Source?  You shouldn't have to step down volts...

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/49-24-2371

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:55 PM »
This is the step down power supply that I use with my drill battery.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/5A-Adjustable-Power-DC-DC-Step-down-Charge-Module-LED-Driver-With-Voltmeter-D/112034664967?hash=item1a15c95207:g:zTcAAOSwUn9aTafX
It has a volt meter that is switchable to show either input or output voltages.

You need to buy two of those, along a switch, and two ports to get everything a Milwaukee PS will do..

One thing that has not been mentioned...

Unlike those other eBay stepdown options..

The Milwaukee power source will protect your battery by shutting itself off before completely draining the battery, which can destroy lithium batteries...

It also has two outputs, 12v and 5v you can run at the same time...  All ready to go in a tough compact package, plug and play $30..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 09, 2018, 01:03 PM »
I'm actually running the Milwaukee PS, off my Ridgid batteries via some jumper wires and a modded radio..

<°)))>{

Offline mainlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Mainlander, are you using the Milwaukee Power Source?  You shouldn't have to step down volts...

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/accessories/batteries-and-chargers/49-24-2371

No, I was hoping to connect directly to the +/- terminals of the M18 battery since my flasher says it can handle up to 20V. However, when I connected it directly to the battery the flasher would not power up.

What I will try next is something like a Milwaukee Power Source, but I was hoping to simplify the setup and save a few bucks.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:23 PM »
One thing that has not been mentioned...

Unlike those other eBay stepdown options..

The Milwaukee power source will protect your battery by shutting itself off before completely draining the battery, which can destroy lithium batteries...

<°)))>{
In all due respect.
Not sure of that info.
I have tested the Milwaukee power source using 14.4 volt Makita batteries, it works.
As the Makita battery voltage drops below 12 ish volts the power source starts acting up.
On all the tests I have done using Milwaukee batteries it's the Milwaukee battery that shuts off when the voltage drops not the power source.

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 09, 2018, 02:28 PM »
No, I was hoping to connect directly to the +/- terminals of the M18 battery since my flasher says it can handle up to 20V. However, when I connected it directly to the battery the flasher would not power up.

What I will try next is something like a Milwaukee Power Source, but I was hoping to simplify the setup and save a few bucks.
Your saying the operating range of your flasher is "up to 20v".
Be aware that a freshly charged Milwaukee (and some other brands) "may" be as high as 21-22 volts!!
Could be your flasher is trying to save it's self.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 09, 2018, 03:05 PM »
Milwaukee battery that shuts off when the voltage drops not the power source.

My power source will shut off at one bar (of four) on my Ridgid batteries.. I can take the same battery and run anything else using the remaining battery capacity.. But if I turn the power source back on, it will run for a minute then shut off..  Fresh battery it works fine again..

You can run yours off 14.4v? Will it run for more than a few minutes at 14.4v? I'll have to check mine at one bar to see what it reads on a meter... Are you still getting 5v and 12v on the other side with 14.4v?

Not sure if the batteries have built in over drain protection circuit or not. I've read about some accessories/tools being able to drain your batteries too much though.. Got me wondering now.. Lol

<°)))>{

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #71 on: Jan 09, 2018, 04:49 PM »
My power source will shut off at one bar (of four) on my Ridgid batteries.. I can take the same battery and run anything else using the remaining battery capacity.. But if I turn the power source back on, it will run for a minute then shut off..  Fresh battery it works fine again..

You can run yours off 14.4v? Will it run for more than a few minutes at 14.4v? I'll have to check mine at one bar to see what it reads on a meter... Are you still getting 5v and 12v on the other side with 14.4v?

Not sure if the batteries have built in over drain protection circuit or not. I've read about some accessories/tools being able to drain your batteries too much though.. Got me wondering now.. Lol

<°)))>{
As far as the 14.4 batteries the one that I was playing with was a 2.6 ah NH-MH and very old. Still could get 4 hours at a .5 amp load on the Drok. The Milwaukee power source was about the same.
Didn't want to open a new battery to test.
Most Ridgid batteries have the same low voltage protection built in, in fact most all lithium tool batteries have that protection.
What's more than likely happening is the battery voltage drops and battery shuts off. After it stands for a few the voltage will rise again but no capacity left.
When I test batteries on my load tester the test voltage will drop to a preset test value and the test will stop. If I start the test over it will go for a bit longer.
Most power tools will just shut off.
Wait a few and sometimes there's enough to get the job completed.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #72 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:05 PM »
What's more than likely happening is the battery voltage drops and battery shuts off. After it stands for a few the voltage will rise again but no capacity left.

The radio keeps playing throughout, and is running off the same exact battery.. Power source just shuts down.. Battery will still run any of my other Ridgid tools too..

<°)))>{

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 09, 2018, 05:37 PM »
The radio keeps playing throughout, and is running off the same exact battery.. Power source just shuts down.. Battery will still run any of my other Ridgid tools too..

<°)))>{

<°)))>{
Just a stab in the dark.
Guessing the radio (that's running direct off the battery) "may" run on a lower voltage say down to 11 volts?
The power source will quit working at around 12 volts.
I have a Ridgid battery in the charger as we speak, gonna test it.

Offline lovin life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #74 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:07 PM »
ok, so ordered the Milwaukee Power Source.  Where can I get the pin with the wire to plug into the 12v port ??  Really amped to use this.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:26 PM »
ok, so ordered the Milwaukee Power Source.  Where can I get the pin with the wire to plug into the 12v port ??  Really amped to use this.

Radio shack..

<°)))>{

Offline lovin life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:44 PM »
crap !  I have zero intel on soldering   :(

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:15 PM »
Time to learn..

<°)))>{

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #78 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:58 PM »
I recently purchased this off Amazon, worked perfectly for connecting my stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KQXWZF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:28 PM »
Just checked mine with a meter..

My Milwaukee PS shuts down at 17.84V (just reached one bar on my Ridgid 18V battery).. Full charged battery measured 20.84V

<°)))>{

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #80 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:06 AM »
Radio shack..

<°)))>{

Good luck findin' one of those. They closed 'em all up in these parts.  >:(
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline mainlander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Your saying the operating range of your flasher is "up to 20v".
Be aware that a freshly charged Milwaukee (and some other brands) "may" be as high as 21-22 volts!!
Could be your flasher is trying to save it's self.

I think you're right, my multimeter reads about 20.5V and there must be some protection circuitry in the flasher, I guess this is a good thing. I happen to have a similar, less fancy DC-DC step down circuit board that buudy mentioned in an earlier post and tried that. Dialed it down to 13.5V and the flasher powered up fine. Thanks for everyones input.

Offline vanhln

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:11 AM »
Loving Life,
Here is the cable I'm using on the 12V out of the MPS: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9ET8QW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut off the female end and wired to my battery.... plug male end into MPS...

Rstock521,
I bought those too and the wire is real thin..... constantly was breaking the wire...

D

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:48 AM »
Loving Life,
Here is the cable I'm using on the 12V out of the MPS: 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M9ET8QW/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cut off the female end and wired to my battery.... plug male end into MPS...

Rstock521,
I bought those too and the wire is real thin..... constantly was breaking the wire...

D
  Sorry you were having issues.  The wire on mine seemed fine.  I'm not positive of the gauge, but i haven't had any issues.  If you want, PM me and I can mail you one to check out to see if they were the same.

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #84 on: Jan 10, 2018, 11:17 AM »
Could somebody post some pics of how this all works with your flasher/sonar?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #85 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:46 PM »
Could somebody post some pics of how this all works with your flasher/sonar?

I will after work today-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:24 PM »
You MacGyvers ROCK! Thanks for all the cool ideas, wondering if Marcum and Vexlar are on to this? A little humbling is good for them. Lithium pack for Marcum is ridiculous money!

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #87 on: Jan 10, 2018, 05:23 PM »
Isn't the max voltage tolerance 20 volts  on the flx?

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #88 on: Jan 10, 2018, 06:29 PM »
I recently purchased this off Amazon, worked perfectly for connecting my stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072KQXWZF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not pickin' but 22 ga. wire is pretty skimpy. Heavier (to a point) is usually better and stranded better than solid at least as far as current carrying capability. I'd look for something in the 18 - 16 ga. range especially if you're going to be using that to connect a charger. Too much current on too small a wire (pipeline), wire gets hot. The hotter it gets the less efficient the wire is until it builds to a failure state (maybe fire).

Too much (read gauge here) wire is always better than not enough.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline lovin life

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 10, 2018, 07:43 PM »
the Milwaulkee converter is 18v to 12v so the 20v max is no issue.  Just got my converter today !  Hooked her up and running great !  Thanks for all the input guys !!!! ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.