Author Topic: Looking for a Hub pop up shelter  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Flop

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for a Hub pop up shelter
« on: Jan 28, 2021, 02:09 PM »
If anyone has any tips or info where I can buy a Eskimo Quickfish 5i or 3i, or the equivalent in another brand, it would be greatly appreciate. I have checked the big stores and they are sold out and I am sure others are as well but places like local shops that don’t have much online presence I would have no clue about. Thanks for the time!!!

-Flop

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
Re: Looking for a Hub pop up shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2021, 05:01 PM »
The Runnings in Putnam CT had a bunch beginning of the season. Headed over for Bait tomorrow. I'll scope it out and let you know.
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline Flop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2021, 05:55 PM »
Awesome, thank you!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2021, 06:01 PM »
Last month I ordered an Eskimo hub shanty from these guys and it was at my house in less than a week.

https://www.reedssports.com/

New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2021, 08:19 PM »
Whatever brand you get spend the extra money for an insulated shelter. Worth every penny
Marking anything?

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2021, 07:00 AM »
ok now for my two cents  first decide what kind of ice fishing you do do you set your traps and wait or do you jig and go you are the run and gun type you might just want a flip top sled if you are the set and forget  a hub shelter is better I have both I use the hub mostly for night fishing and the flip sled for ay time when I am running and gunning but mostly I  use my glide lite sled and stay as mobile as I can with all that said I agree with brendog with this to be said if you are setting up a base camp 8x8 or bigger I would get a regular popup because of weight and you will probably carry a heater of some and I find a double mantle propane lantern keeps my 8x8 comfortable  if you or planning on a small hub go insulated and the sun will be more than enough the only exception is if you plan on camping over night any how thats just what i have found out in my experience   good luck with choice and I have not been to Runnings yet this year but last they a large selection of hub and sleds set up it was like Disney land for ice fishing   worth the trip either way

Offline Brendog9

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ga head
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2021, 07:50 AM »
ok now for my two cents  first decide what kind of ice fishing you do do you set your traps and wait or do you jig and go you are the run and gun type you might just want a flip top sled if you are the set and forget  a hub shelter is better I have both I use the hub mostly for night fishing and the flip sled for ay time when I am running and gunning but mostly I  use my glide lite sled and stay as mobile as I can with all that said I agree with brendog with this to be said if you are setting up a base camp 8x8 or bigger I would get a regular popup because of weight and you will probably carry a heater of some and I find a double mantle propane lantern keeps my 8x8 comfortable  if you or planning on a small hub go insulated and the sun will be more than enough the only exception is if you plan on camping over night any how thats just what i have found out in my experience   good luck with choice and I have not been to Runnings yet this year but last they a large selection of hub and sleds set up it was like Disney land for ice fishing   worth the trip either way

Very good point by Ed about whether you like to set tip ups or jig. The flip top might be the move so you're not "committed" to a spot.
Marking anything?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Whatever brand you get spend the extra money for an insulated shelter. Worth every penny

Very good point ...insulation doesnt add that much weight and can pay off in the long and short run...and size does matter ..and features like the wide bottom/kick out are very nice . Good luck with your search ..not alot of availability ..and looks like what is out there is pricey .

You may want to contact the major retailer via the phone ..Reeds...Marine General etc ..as some sites dont have complete inventory ..you may be able to get them to ship ..customer service is at an all time high during these times .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Flop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2021, 11:14 AM »
Thanks for the input, I am looking at either the Quickfish 3i possible the 5i, I have two small children daughter which is 5 and my son is 2 so some space for them to get out of the cold is crucial if I am gonna be able to go again consistently. I primary go set up my traps and then come back to the shack and play cards, however I have a feeling that will be replaced by chasing the kids around. So I am pretty confident in the hub style. I would go insulated the weight doesn’t matter to me that much for some bigger distances I do have a snowmobile, because I plan to take this up to Schoodic Lake (hometown lake) in Maine a few times a year. Thank you all for the responses.

-Flop

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Thanks for the input, I am looking at either the Quickfish 3i possible the 5i, I have two small children daughter which is 5 and my son is 2 so some space for them to get out of the cold is crucial if I am gonna be able to go again consistently. I primary go set up my traps and then come back to the shack and play cards, however I have a feeling that will be replaced by chasing the kids around. So I am pretty confident in the hub style. I would go insulated the weight doesn’t matter to me that much for some bigger distances I do have a snowmobile, because I plan to take this up to Schoodic Lake (hometown lake) in Maine a few times a year. Thank you all for the responses.

-Flop
[/quot

PM sent
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2021, 05:19 PM »
Looks like alot of input since my post... but here it is. Runnings has Bait and a few Pop ups. The only Eskimo is a big assed Double pop -up Don't remember the model but looks like they only had 1 could fit about 6 guys in it. (maybe the model is "The Condo"  ;D ) then the had 2 singles - One Clam $349.00 and one Otter no $$ price on it. .

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 31, 2021, 01:45 PM »
Installing a Faucet this a.m. Instead of fishing.....(You're welcome Dear). Had to get 2 supply lines so ran to Runnings Putnam. They got a bunch more Pop up shelters. The Condo sold and they have a really nice 2 man Eskimo there. $649.00.

Offline Flop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2021, 04:14 PM »
I ended up buying one, should be here by Friday. Eskimo Quickfish 3i.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2021, 05:41 PM »
Hey Flop just noticed this update. My Dad had a Camp on Schoodic up till 1970. Man I miss that place it was literally just a shack but Man it was awesome.

Offline Flop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18, 2021, 01:11 PM »
Hey Flop just noticed this update. My Dad had a Camp on Schoodic up till 1970. Man I miss that place it was literally just a shack but Man it was awesome.

It is a really nice lake, sadly don’t catch much but frost bite!! But I grew up in Brownville

Offline WhiteSoldier

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2021, 09:11 AM »
yes, definitely go insulated unless you like your shelter to be a rain forest 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.