Author Topic: Muskies  (Read 848 times)

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
Muskies
« on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:24 PM »
 Does anyone catch muskies on tip ups? If so what kind of bait and rig did you use?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Muskies
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:53 PM »
Seems most of the muskies caught are on a crappie minnow or small jig. I fish on a lake that has good numbers of musky and have yet to catch one on a tip up. I have sat in a dark house and watched them swim by, but they don't seem very interested in eating. Musky season closes here Dec. 1.

WS

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Muskie are more of a warm water species, they become lethargic in cold water and don't eat much. People up here occasionally catch them on tip ups usually using big bait like a sucker fish or large shiners. As soon as ice goes out they become more active.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:42 AM »
Tiger muskies!!!! lot more action
Gator Nation

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:57 PM »
If you can get some trout for bait you may get lucky,I make my own rigs but I use a needle and send the line through the meat of the fish,I have my main line that has a barrel swivel off of that I use the needle to put a line to the top of the head and one to the tail with a treble hook attached,I also cut the tail with scissors horizontally it keeps the bait from pulling hard on the main line   try it out   good luck

Offline bait trap

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Original Iceshanty Join date Feb 2004. FRESHBAIT
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2013, 04:19 PM »
I always thought muskets were a cold water fish b/c they are predominantly in the northern latitudes. 
Checkin traps and making sure there's FRESHBAIT!!!
[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.