Author Topic: Holmes Lake  (Read 4017 times)

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Holmes Lake
« on: Nov 21, 2010, 11:08 PM »
I know it's early but I will be in Lincoln for Christmas to visit the inlaws so I'm just checking on ice conditions on Holmes lake once it freezes. I had a blast ice fishing there 2 years ago when I was back, caught trout, bluegills and a bass. Hopefully this year I can luck into a walleye or catfish. Any info on the lake this fall would be great, thanks in advance for any info. Good luck on the ice!

Offline drcarplove

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Holmes Lake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2010, 10:33 AM »
I have been catching gills and crappie there all year, some gills 7 1/2 to 8 inches, some crappie 9 to 11 inches. I have bank fished as recently as nov 18 2010 and on the sunny banks have still caught, fish. I prefer not to catch the trout intentionally, but they are already stocked. I have had great luck using #10 & #8 ratsos and shrimpos in glopink, glochartreuse and globlue colors. There are huge brushpiles in the south lake, look for the community of ice fisherman. I also like to fish the dropoffs,

Luck
Frank

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2010, 11:34 AM »
I do not think they are any Walleyes in Homles Lake. I could be wrong But I have Never heard of anyone catching Eyes out of that lake anytime of the year.
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2010, 01:41 PM »
Holmes has eyes. I have seen a few caught but VERY few. If you look at the seining reports it shows a few.
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline pjwatson05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:12 AM »
We should have some fishable ice by then, keeping my fingers crossed.  Holmes actually had a little skim ice this mourning.

Until recently, our water temps were still in the 50's.

As soon as it has fishable ice I will post up on this thread for you.  I can throw a rock & hit Holmes from where I live.  For an "in town" lake it's a pretty decent quality fishery.

Holmes has Walleye's, big ones to boot.  On second thought, THERE ARE NO WALLEYES IN HOLMES, disreguard my last comment!!!

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 25, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Is there any good size crappie and gills in there yet.

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:04 AM »
So, so. I picked up a few last year that were ok. No 13 inch slabs that I have seen. Gills the size of your hand and 10 inch slabs are about as big as I have caught. Nice lake because its close.

Maybe someone can clear this up for me cuz I have not lived in NE too long. I was told when they redid Holmes lake they emptied the lake and transferred the fish from in to the small lake by the heart hospital in S Lincoln. Well I know for a FACT those fish are nice sized but the "public cant fish it". How is it public fish can be stocked in private waters and then the public can be refused access?
Teach a kid to fish and hunt and they will be resourceful, smart and confident. Today's world is much different than the one I knew as a child. They need these skills even more than I did.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:33 PM »
SDGuy, see the other thread. The ice fishing at Holmes should crush this year. I expect 12 inch crappies to be coming out of there pretty regularly, along with gills that push 10. I've caught 'eyes in the 20+ inch range there as well, but they're hard to come by. Doc Carplove's buddy LincolnLunger would be the guy to ask about regarding the eyes. He's posted pics of some really nice fish on the NEFGA forum site...
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Thanks for that info fishgut and SDguy i think ill give it a try this year. That would be awsome to get some off them eyes out off there there kinda hard to come by in the eastern part of the state. I go to Sherman for most of my walleye fishing fishing have been kinda small lately.

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Great! Having a resource like that close by would be priceless! I get out as much as I can. You guys look me up, I drive a write 4 dr jeep wrangler.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2010, 09:49 PM »
Thanks for the info guys, in July when I was there last I caught some keeper gills and a couple small crappie. I'm getting excited.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:51 PM »
I'm heading to lincoln in 2 days, getting excited to catch something besides trout through the ice. Still deciding on what days to fish, probably right after christmas.

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Holmes isn't the only good spot near Lincoln.  I guess depending on where in Lincoln you will be, some spots out of town may be closer for you than Holmes.  And more fruitfull.

Offline formerSDguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Addict!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2010, 07:39 AM »
Crushin gills and trout....

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:25 PM »
I agree with you JAM3S, it just takes about 5 minutes to get to holmes from my in laws house. Besides that I've put all of my time into finding the fish in that lake once or twice a year when I am in Lincoln. It wouldn't make sense for me to figure out another lake since I'm here so little. I made it to Lincoln today but I probably won't hit the ice til Sunday, we'll see. I brought my power auger and a Quickfish 3 hut so I'm set.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Has anyone ice fished Oak Lake or Bowling Lake here in Lincoln, I may give those a try too. I am curious about those two, any info would be appreciated.

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2010, 04:57 PM »
I would not suggest oak.  I've seen sunfish in there. Thats about it.  Bowling gets stocked with trout and the G&P did put some full sized pannies in there when they renovated.  I wouldn't expect anything tremendous though.
Where's the ice

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2010, 05:28 PM »
Are the sunfish big in Oak? I've never caught a green sunfish before and would like to cross it off the list, in one area of the G & P website it also said there are bullheads, carp and white perch? Thanks

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Oak lake is a shallow POS lake built over a landfill, filled with carp and bullheads, with some green sunfish mixed in. If you haven't caught a green sunfish before, you don't have to leave Holmes. My youngest daughter and I are heading to Holmes tomorrow around noon, and I can put you on a hole where you'll catch 50 in a half hour. Bowling lake has some big gills in it if you know where to look, but it's been renovated recently enough that they're hard to come by.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 23, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Thanks for the info, I'll stick to Holmes then.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 26, 2010, 03:19 PM »
I'll be heading down to Holmes about 8 in the morning, I'll have my red Eskimo auger and a Red Quickfish 3 hut, feel free to stop by and say hi. I'm going to start in the South Basin and go from there.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2010, 07:22 PM »
Fished today from 8am to 5:30pm. There were lots of people there but it was slow. I ended up catching 4 gills, 1 green sunfish, 1 largemouth, and 6 trout. Ice was around 6 inches, it was cold and windy but I'll be back out there most of the day tomorrow. Seemed like most people didn't catch anything so I felt fortunate.

Sorry that's the only picture, my camera gave out.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2010, 08:51 AM »
Nice bass 327. I got one about the same size yesterday as well. Good luck out there today!

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2010, 09:30 AM »
Good lookin fish 327, personally I don't think we(the fellas from eastern Wyoming) use the resources in NE. near as much as we could. There are some great fisherman over that way and some great lakes with allot of diversity to fish...

It would be nice to see a little more crossover on the two forums,Keith Walters has been leading the way on this...
Sorry, didn't mean to highjack the thread. :)

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 28, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Thanks guys, today I was out all day and only got 12 panfish, mostly green sunfish but I got a few gills and one crappie. Fun just the same, I'll be out again tomorrow for the last time.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Fished from 8-2 today only caught 2 fish, a 10 inch crappie and one rainbow trout. Very slow today. By the way there is about a inch of water on top of the ice today. I took some pictures the last two days but I can't upload them until I get home tomorrow night.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2010, 06:13 PM »
Look forward to the pics trout! Sorry I couldn't make it out with ya while you were here, looks like you had some success and a good time, the weather was decent also. Maybe next go around I can break free and catch a few with ya. Have a Happy New Year, I gotta work New Years Eve as I own a bar. Fun Fun ::)
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:55 PM »
Here's a couple pictures from my trips to Holmes. I had fun and everybody here and on the ice was super friendly. Madpuppy, sorry it didn't work out, I'll let you guys know when I'm back in Lincoln, don't work too hard. Thanks again everyone!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.