Author Topic: Auger Problems!!  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Hawken

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger Problems!!
« on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:06 PM »
Tried to get the auger started but no luck. Mixed up new gas even put sea foam and stabil in it too. Pulled away no luck. I might have had the toggle switch on off though their is a small pointed arrow not sure if that needs to be pointed on the on side or the back of the switch.
I can't remember from last year. Tried starting on both sides though. I put some oil and sea foam behind the spark plug before I stored it too. I emptied the gas and ran until it died before I stored it too. The spark plug is only a season old I looked at it and it was ok I might just get a new anyways. I used Strikemaster oil too. I have a strikemaster mag2000.

Offline Sorny

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Auger Problems!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:12 PM »
get a new plug and clean the carb. 

Offline Big Fortin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:14 PM »
try a new plug

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Need to determine if it's a spark or fuel issue. Checking for spark is easy. Get a neighbor kid that you don't care for and have him....... :nono: :nono: :nono:

Offline bubba ARMY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:20 PM »
Need to determine if it's a spark or fuel issue. Checking for spark is easy. Get a neighbor kid that you don't care for and have him....... :nono: :nono: :nono:
how many of our fathers did this to us with the lawn mower

Offline sawblade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2009, 08:38 PM »
Sounds like the plug may be fuel fouled.  If it is when you take it out it will be wet with gasoline. If it is let it dry out or replace it. You could also have the needle in the carburetor stuck closed not letting fuel to the engine. Remove the carburetor and on a CLEAN piece of paper start to disassemble the carburetor. If you find a dark golden brown residue take some carburetor cleaner and clean it off. You will notice a small screw holding a pin in place with a small spring under a tab. That is your needle and seat, (make sure it moves freely. If you take it apart pay attention that the lever fits back on to the needle) spray it with some carburetor cleaner and make sure moves. Check the diaphragm and reed valves for tears and holes. Reassemble in reverse as you took it apart. If it is more than you want to tackle take it to a small engine place or where you have your car serviced.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2009, 08:42 PM »
Did it sound like it wanted to start (spitting and coughing)? You can get a spark plug tester at any auto parts store. I prefer the ones with a adjustable gap like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Thexton-458-Coil-Spark-Tester/dp/B000OCHE7Q

If you have spark, then rebuild the carb. When you clean it, take it all the way apart and soak it in a can (gallon) of carb cleaner over night. Use compressed air to blow out all the holes.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:41 PM »
This is the fisrt year I have ever left the gas mix in the auger.  Spank me :nono:  Every year I usually dump out the tank and run everything dry.  Pull the rope e few more times for good measure and store it away.  Usually though it takes some pulling and cleaning a new plug before she runs nice.  Nope not this year.  This year I pulled er outa the shed still half full of last years gas and 2 pulls and purring like a kitten.  Been out 3 times so far and added a little gas mix to top it off.  1-2 pulls every time.  Last year I bought a new used auger and had to clean and adjust the carb and put in a new spark plug.  When I mixed last years can I put in the stabilizer and about 2caps of sea foam.  Auger starts one to two pulls every time.  On last years mix

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2009, 12:26 AM »
I'm telling you....the easiest way is to put in in a closet or somwhere handy and start it about every 2 weeks.  I like the sound and smell (even in July) and it keeps varnishing away and gasketing fresh.  I try and use 92 octane winter blend.  People tell me that it doesn't matter..I really think I get better fireups and smoother idle.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.