Author Topic: Eye Protection  (Read 5676 times)

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
Eye Protection
« on: Dec 18, 2005, 10:54 AM »
I do not look forward to hitting a snow covered lake on a bright sunny day. Sometimes I have a headache even before I get to my spot. Get me set up in the shanty and I am fine. I have tried several polarized lenses but nothing seems dark enough. Also did wrap arounds and even black sideshields. Other than a welding helmet does anyone have a suggestion? Blindfold and seeing eye dog? Perhaps ski goggles???? I hate spending more on Tylenol each trip than bait!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: Eye Protection
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2005, 11:11 AM »
perhaps a visit to an eyedoctor. you could have an eye condition you are unaware of. i share your pain though as my eyes very sensitive to sunlight to and am in trouble if i forget or lose my shades. a cap with an extra long visor  is key!! 8)

Offline BOOBSS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2005, 06:54 PM »
My eyes are sensitve also. tried dark then darker. Then started wearing amber and yellow seemed to help me alot with glare. Can also see flags easier good luck

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:52 AM »
I would also recommend a visit to the eye doctor as well.

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2005, 10:32 AM »
I agree that a visit to the doc is in order.  You might try mountaineering style glasses from Julbo or a similar manufacturer.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?memberId=12500226&productId=33389
High Chancellor of WIRC and Provost of Potent Potable Procurement .

Seattle Seven Member #000003

Offline fhsww48

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2005, 11:46 AM »
Thanks fellas.....I am a diabetic and I have yearly eye exams. Everything is fine. I been light sensitive all my life. Could be 25 years of working midnight shift. Doctor smiles and says it's barn-owl-ism. I will check out those glasses from campmor....Thanks again

Offline tarbot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2005, 08:41 AM »
I just picked up a set of these.... they are like goggles so no light can get through.  You can also remove the inner goggle part to use like regular sunglasses.  Used them this past weekend and they worked great!
http://www.panoptx.com/html/view_all_home.htm

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:05 AM »
Do your sun glasses have the proper UV rating?  Also, make sure that the bottom of the frames come down low below your eye sockets. This will prevent harmful rays that are reflecting up from the ice from entering your eyes. Having side shields are goo too.  A nice pair of inexpensive sunglasses are the Bill Dance ones that Wal Mart sells. Get the amber ones for bright days and smoked for overcast days.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2005, 04:41 PM »
If all else fails you can also try a welding supply store (even TSC may be able to help). They offer various shades that are numbered (higher number for a darker shade) for anything from propane burners to acetylene to arc welding in everything from sunglasses to welding helmuts. If you are terribly light sensitive you should be able to go with an 8 - 9 shade that should be able to keep you headache free.

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005, 08:03 PM »
I wear the grey Zeiss sunglasses with prescription lenses.  Their optical quality is second to none, and UV blocking is supreme.  They do set you back a few extra shekels, but worth every penny.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2006, 11:22 AM »
I checked out a few welding supply sites and looks like the main choice will be #3 - #5 shades but should tame any bright sunny glare situations you'll encounter on the ice.

Offline TogueHunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2006, 07:33 PM »
If all else fails you can also try a welding supply store (even TSC may be able to help). They offer various shades that are numbered (higher number for a darker shade) for anything from propane burners to acetylene to arc welding in everything from sunglasses to welding helmuts. If you are terribly light sensitive you should be able to go with an 8 - 9 shade that should be able to keep you headache free.

I have a pair of welding glasses with the sides on them and they were just the ticket to shield the eyes from ice blindness.
Kind of like the glacier glasses that arctic explorers use.  I don't wear them every time I go out, but on the brighter days they work great!  Home Depot has quite a good selection of them.
Are you SURE it's safe to walk on? Looks questionable to me!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:08 AM »
i also have problems with headaches in bright light, i just use my usual polarized sunglasses i wear on open water.

quick question, i have noticed that most people i fish with that have the same problem with bright light are blue eyed, all you that have headaches from the sun are you blue or light eyed?

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2006, 09:39 AM »
i also have problems with headaches in bright light, i just use my usual polarized sunglasses i wear on open water.

quick question, i have noticed that most people i fish with that have the same problem with bright light are blue eyed, all you that have headaches from the sun are you blue or light eyed?
Yes, I'm a big, blue eyed Scandinavian mutt with light sensitivities.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2006, 08:55 PM »
Yep, blue eyed, former blond(now grey), pale skinned.  That's why I wear Zeiss!!!!  Headaches no longer exist, only from the quantities of "wobblies" that go into my gut. ;D ;)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:56 AM »
we could have found a scientific study of blue eyed headaches ;D

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Bless you archbishop!!!  I too am a dogan.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2006, 05:27 PM »

Red eyed German.
Need I say more?

;D

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2006, 10:53 PM »
i wear rapala sunglasses cant remember the model. my dad has perscription glasses that tint to the light brightness the brighter it is the darker they turn. they work great for him no more headaces and they are normal glasses with special lenses. hope this helps you can go to any eyeglass store and get ones for your description.  :tipup:keep on fishin!!! :tipup:

billybono

« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2006, 08:53 PM »
hehehe  when i saw the title of this thread i was thinking someone wanted saftey goggles because they got whacked with a flag  ;) ;)  belive it or not, there almost a must during the salmon run around here with all the lead chuckers

billybono

Offline Auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2006, 09:08 AM »
hehehe  when i saw the title of this thread i was thinking someone wanted saftey goggles because they got whacked with a flag  ;) ;)  belive it or not, there almost a must during the salmon run around here with all the lead chuckers

billybono

I know how you feel.  I don't have to worry about lead chuckers here, but when the flyfishers start on the spring steelheads it can turn into melee.  When it's crowded I start to wish for a Kevlar body suit.  I'm not ripping on flyfishers because I am one.  It's just that I've been hooked in the same ear twice by spastic back casts.  You should have to pass a proficiency test to fly cast within 50 yards of another fisherman!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.