Author Topic: Gas/oil mix on your Auger  (Read 3568 times)

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gas/oil mix on your Auger
« on: Dec 24, 2009, 01:32 AM »
I researched this topic on here but i didn't see anyone who posted from AK.  I have a brand new Nils Master power auger that has never been run.  The guy who sold it to me (JP at Nils USA) said not to mix it any richer than 50:1.  After researching it on this forum i see so many people who mix it at 100:1.  Additionally it is suggested that Amsoil and Opti-2 at 100:1 are the best ones out there.  I am kinda stumped as to whats the best to do.  Should i break it in at 100:1 with synthetic, should i use the 50:1 mix as the seller claims. I just paid an arm and a leg for this darn thing and want to keep it forever.  I'm asking this in the AK section bc we deal with really extreme cold and pretty tough ice. (we also like doing what we want and not going with the Man. suggestions).  Check out this thread

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=38599.msg395331#msg395331

Thanks everyone!
James

Offline tobykoko

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Gas/oil mix on your Auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2009, 06:37 AM »
  I retired from an electrical contractor, the largest in upstate NY, in business for 60+ yrs, $1 mil a week payroll,  who keeps around 30 line trucks on the road 24/7 loaded with just about every 2 cycle power tool imaginable. All they use is  Amsoil  ;) ;)    Good luck

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 24, 2009, 08:47 AM »
Break in should be done with a tank full of regular dino oil to get the rings and bearings seated/broken in first.
Then go to Amsoil or Opti2. If you go straight to synthetic the break in period is much longer and there may be issues. I used this procedure on my Strikemaster and it runs fine.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 24, 2009, 09:07 AM »
I would mix at the 50:1 ratio. I am not sold on leaner mixes. I have read and talked to amsoil reps, SO I do know about the base stocks and additive packages. I am still not going to run them. I run my eskimo at 40:1 with klotz techniplate. I know it is an over kill but I also use this oil in my snowmachine.

I have used amsoil also and not happy with the lack of film strength.

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Boy I guess I have been way over doing it. When I bought my Strikemaster six years ago,  I got a case of Strikemaster oil and it is 24:1.  Maybe that is why it is always cloudy on my lake????   :icefish:

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2009, 05:37 PM »
 I would probably follow the dealers specs or at least the recommended mixture for break in on the tech publication or owners manual...  I can't imagine the company setting you up to fail.  Opti and Amsoil are both great products, which one is your choice!?  I started my Strikemaster out with Tanaka (Rod's saw shop suggested), and have remained religious to that one oil.  I did break it in even heavier than recommended, and changed out the plugs after a gallon of heavy mix.  It's run great over the years, perhaps due to the heavy break in - or it was built on a Thursday!  If you go with synthetic, stick with it and don't variate!!!!  Fresh fuel every winter and a dose of new oil too.  You know, same old speech your dad would give ya!  Congrats on the new Mils, it is a nice auger indeed!! ;D   
TEAM ALASKA

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2009, 01:37 AM »
hey Barely, does rods sell amsoil also?  Not sure what tanaka is.  I'm running the jiffy at 24/1 .  starting ot have problems starting up..once she starts she runs fine after some carb adjusting.  Ihavent taken the carb off yet to check the diaphram, kinda hoping that ISNT it.   

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2009, 12:14 PM »
  Congrats on the new Mils, it is a nice auger indeed!! ;D   

Thanks BD its Inaugural run will be on Quartz Lake on Monday.  State house D-11 if anyone wants to stop in and say hi

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:23 AM »
lmao, sorry about that ment barley not barely oops!

Hey Mnt...I may be down that way...dunno yet, still kinda tinkering with the idear.  Jist of it is, I need to get my rear end out! 

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2009, 01:32 PM »
Dan,
Yeah they sell Tanaka at Rods, It's a little pricey but goes a long way!

MNT,
I was there on Thursday and had a blast with hte kids.  Had one snap off that was easily mid 20"!  Lots of 18" fish and even more around 9" or so...  Camera + kids that was a good time!!!!
TEAM ALASKA

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:25 AM »
Barley

Is the tanaka the same as the amsoil saber? 

Also wanted to ask if you're up for teaching  a guy the burbot skills through the ice?   i'd like to try down in nenna or maybe down in paxson somewhere down the road.  still trying to get my rear end out this year, been busy with other projects unfortunatly.   

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:52 AM »
Dan,
I'm not sure if it's the same as Amsoil...  That's a good question!

I would be willing to head down to Nenana for a night of Burbot fishing.  That's one of those places I've been wanting to hit but haven't' had the opportunity...  We would have to do some research on some of the deeper runs close to town and I'd bet theres plenty!  I"ll see what can be drug up on that location.  I'd bet there's quite a few fish in that area with little pressure, or at least a few fish that would make a trip south worth while.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:53 AM »
Break in should be done with a tank full of regular dino oil to get the rings and bearings seated/broken in first.
Then go to Amsoil or Opti2. If you go straight to synthetic the break in period is much longer and there may be issues. I used this procedure on my Strikemaster and it runs fine.

What he said....I was told from a service rep thats the way u gotta do it.
;

Offline groundsluice_pete

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I live for hard water fishing.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:04 PM »
I bought an Eskimo 8"-er from a buddy who ran a small store in Dillingham 16 years ago. I have mixed every kind of 2 stroke oil in with the gas in probably many different ratios. It has drilled thousands of holes and keeps running and running. I think you guys are being a little too anal about this oil stuff.

But all this talk has made me nervous about my auger and my saws, so I have mixed up a few gallons with AMSOIL. That's in case you guys jinxed me. ::)
See you up the trail.

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:06 PM »
my 1968 Easy Boy still runs great!  Best of all, it's a 4 stroke!  I change the oil about every 5 years using Mobil 1 OW30.  No problems with the engine and the 0 weight oil barely thickens with the cold so it is always easy to pull!

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:34 PM »
OK
so i mixed the first tank at 50:1 as recommended. Now the big news..  Went fishing on Quartz Monday and had the first run with my new Nils 8" auger.  I was a little skeptical since all the hype i read seemed to good to be true.  i was able to drill over 24" OF ICE IN 15 SECONDS (at half throttle).  WOW... i was shocked.  I know they are expensive but i personally think i  will get my money's worth.  Completely happy with it.  Now the Vex is a different story... Anyone wanna go out and school me on the use of it?  I watched the videos on the vexilar website but think i might not be doing something right.  Only caught 4 bows and one ugly stick with 4 guys and 15 hours of fishing.  Anyhow I love my NILS  ;D and am looking to do quite a bit more fishing. I will be off the 4th-6th if anyone wants to go out. (i'll drill as many holes as i can) PM me if ya wanna go
James

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2009, 11:07 PM »
James, I might be up for a trip...  Gotta check my schedule at work tomorrow.  Actually I'm looking at going out this weekend (off sat through tues).  

I do have the marcum, not much different then a vex, slightly diff features.

Barley,
Let me know when's a good time for you... I have a goofy schedule, constantly rotating.  I go to nites jan 17th for 2 months.  I'm definatly in!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.