Author Topic: Would like input on fishfinders/flashers  (Read 2265 times)

Offline Bgchief

• IceShanty Rookie
  • New Years Rainbow
Would like input on fishfinders/flashers
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 03:12 AM »
I've never used one on ice  are they worth the $ do you get what ya pay for.
Please advise thanks

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Would like input on fishfinders/flashers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2009, 03:57 AM »
As with everything else, yes, you get what you pay for. Yes, they do what they claim...help in locating fish/depth/structure. Will they catch fish...No.

Pretty sure you'll find much more then you expected...http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0
You'll even find the answer as to which one you should get  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline mntransplant

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:25 AM »
Please advise thanks

I have used my brothers Vexilar when i went home to Mn and loved it.  I have heard that you should be able to catch 4x as many fish.  I just bought one from a guy on this forum. So as soon as i get my new auger (hopefully by the end of the week) i will take the new Vex out and give er a try.  I will let ya know what i find out.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I have a Marcum LX-5, yes it's worth the $$$.    ;)2

Offline iceseaker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:43 AM »
for years i fished without a finder now last year i fished 2 times with a x67c and huge difference in locating the fish. this year i went to buy one and got one for 250 its worth the price and i will never go back.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2009, 11:48 AM »
X2....... on the X67C
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline Fishin Fireman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Life's Tougher and Funner in Alaska;
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:28 PM »
X 3 on the Lowrance X67C and the ice pak! I got mine off of ebay and it has never had a problem even in the cold. I like that it's a sonar view map and you can also view the flasher and then go into ice mode. Switch out the transducer and you can use it on a boat in the summer.

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2009, 12:33 PM »
Flashers!!  Yes they are absolutely worth it.   For many reasons.   Have you ever been fishing and wondered if there was anything below you.   With a flasher you wiil always have that answer.  No more fishing water that has no fish.  With a flasher you have the ability to quickly check a hole for fish,  if you do not mark some you can move off to check another.  Simply Yes They Are Worth It.   Just buy the best that you can afford.

Offline catchumall

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • God bless the USA and Canada!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Please advise thanks

Yes and Yes on your questions, I wouldn't go fishing without mine.   :tipup:
Bob

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:01 AM »
yes again for the Lowrance...  I have the 68C and love it, (although I have little use for the GPS here in Alaska.)  I love it in situations where you can't use the camera.  Those low light, deep, or river circumstances that won't allow a good view of the fish.  It's so easy to use that my 10 year old has mastered it in one outing on fast moving trout.  Now it's tough for me to pry it away from the boy when we go out!  It's a tool that you won't regret buying if you use it enough.  Otherwise save the money! ;D   
TEAM ALASKA

Offline ALASKANASSASIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2009, 08:59 AM »
FL8 purchased just this year.  If you get anything, get a flasher.  The most used piece of gear I own now. :)
"If your not the LEAD DOG, the view never changes....."

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:07 AM »
Any one have any experience with the Showdown ???????  Good or bad???  :icefish:

Offline akdube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 25, 2009, 01:23 PM »
i HAVE A SHOWDOWN IMO they are easier to read. I have a camera also and I find the camera is funner to use.my 2 cents

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:39 AM »
I have the marcum and really love it (lx5 model).

we grew up chasing walleyes with a old humingbird that has lasted longer then any lcd fish finder we've owned..actually the thing STILL works though the transducer could be replaced.

Flashers are easy to read if you go with on.   Anyway whatever you get you wont be dissappointed.   They do their job....obviously if there are no fish around it's time to move!   They also can give you ideas on how fish are reacting from day to day and hour to hour.  I hate sitting in one place all day unless I know it'll pay off.  I'd rather move around atleast a few times.  Find the hot fish and move on again.  Guess that's my chink in my armor.  The fish finder lets me know if moving is a bad or good thing to do. 

The cameras I've had the chance to play with are neat, but dont really impress me all that much.   They are definatly fun but not as good as they are advertised.  I've only had limited experience with them so take it for what it is.   

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:55 AM »
I bought a factory refurbished fl-8 last year and I  love it.  You will find all kind of talk on this site as to which brand is better, or has the best features.   I can tell you that the fl-8  is  plain and simple , and very easy to use.

I  can put the  smallest teardrop jig  on  my line, drop it through the ice, and follow it all the way down the water column.  I  can  see a fish at 18',  stop my jig at 16', and watch  the fish come up and hit.  Unbelievable ! 

I  dont move arround a lot because I  usually fish the same lakes and I know  that  it there arent any fish below me right now - - well -- I know I am in a good spot and they will come back soon.      - -- but if I am in a lake  that is not as familiar to me,  I do use the vex to  "explore"     Vex?  Marcum?  Hummjngbird ?    I'll stick with my vex   because I am used to it and I know what its telling me, but  I bet you would be happy with any of them !

Offline 3beagles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:09 AM »
Three years ago I had reservations on buying one also.  It seemed like a lot of money (and it is)!  But
I will not go fishing without one now.  I bought 3 Marcum LX-5's for my kids for Christmas last year and
they feel the same way.  You feel lost without one!
Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.