The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cooking rainbow  (Read 2856 times)

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
Cooking rainbow
« on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:05 PM »
Hey y’all, so I’ve been able to get on the ice and catch some rainbows. I’ve ate trout before and I don’t much care for it. But I don’t know when I’ll get my hands on walleye, crappie, or perch.
My question is how do you prepare youre trout...specifically rainbows. Thanks! Tight lines

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cooking rainbow
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:18 PM »
Favorite way is to gut/gill them. Much faster to do than filleting, especially if you have many fish.

Put horseradish and some Dijon mustard into the cavity and grill until the eyes turn white and nearly pop.

To eat, pull back top skin, remove top meat grab head and pull up to remove bones and be left with the bottom layer of meat.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:28 PM »
Fillet and place the fillets skin side down in a buttered baking dish. Add more butter pats on top of the fish, add fresh onion sliced really thin and lemon juice, then drizzle with a white wine to moisten the fillets. Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the onions  turn brown. Remove from the oven and enjoy!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I fillet them boneless. Drizzle some Teriyaki on them. Add spices like pepper, garlic, whatever. Grill on med-high skin side down for like 5 minutes, turn over and peel the skin off. Maybe splash a little more teriyaki, flip quickly and sear  the now skinless side for a few minutes. Don't overcook. Divine! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline reelrusty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2018, 12:41 PM »
 :) I like fillets under the broiler. 2 1/2 to 4 lb "Bows. Fillet & leave skin on. Pull pin bones and then brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with rub of choice, usually a home made one but lately been using Alpine Touch from Choteau Mt. Picked up a 2 lb jar a couple years ago and found it too salty for most cooking I do but for broiling these larger 'Bows it's been great! Broil 'til they flake easily, a little lemon juice and enjoy!  ;D

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2018, 01:13 PM »
Had a guy show me how to remove the bones after gutted and leave the head and tail on then without the bones you can stuff with crab shrimp and anything else you would like and then bake for 15 minutes or unitl done on a 375 oven if I remember right will have to look at the recipe again if I can find it.

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Well I like to cook mine for lunch. Tuna melt sandwich/Trout melt sandwich. Easy just bake hole and peal off meat and get all bones out. Add a little mayo and toast some bread. It falls apart just like a can of tuna to me almost same texture. Can't beat a good lunch with pickle and chips. Really easy to prep at night and easy to take out to the lake as well.
No one left behind.     

Offline gemcityslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2018, 09:37 AM »
Get a smoker ... I like my traeger.  Smoked trout is a treat... baking it or grilling it isn’t as good in my opinion.  Occasionally I’ll make trout jerky too. 

If you are frying up perch or walleye try deep frying the trout in the same batter... it’s not bad. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2018, 11:44 AM »
Stocked I don’t bother keeping. Wild if there is such a thing in your neck of the woods, Stuff them with some garlic and lemon pepper wrap them in foil and cook them on the grill.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline GonefishingWy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2018, 04:59 PM »
Fillet and chunk up just like you would walleye or catfish.  bread and fry I use Panko bread crumbs and seasoning salt or seasoning and flour fry it till it flakes easily. Keep the skin off and I have soaked it in milk if it seems more fishy smelling then normal. You don’t want to thick of pieces.

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2018, 05:04 PM »
Anything deep fryed is good, best way to cook any fish.

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2018, 06:30 PM »
for those that dont like a fishy taste, bleeding your fish when you catch them helps. also, especially with trout, that red connective tissue between the meat and the skin is what produces a fishy taste. with bigger rainbows i still keep the skin on when i pan fry them, then peel the skin off, keep it, and scrape off what was the red part, after cooked it is gray . then i put the skin back on. if you dont have any of that tissue its awesome with 0 fishyness

Offline wyoeyes!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:15 AM »
We enjoy canned trout.

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:39 PM »
Fillet them and leave the skin on.  Pour on butter, sprinkle with lemon pepper and garlic salt. Get your grill very hot and put the fish on skin down and cook until it is bubbling through the meat, the skin will be burnt, don't turn it. Awesome flavor (don't eat the skin)
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2018, 08:43 PM »
Brine it then smoke with the skin still on. If there is any left overs, shred it then mix it up with some mayo, relish and mustard and put it on some bread for a tasty sammich.
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Wyohandscold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:29 PM »
Trout are the antelope of the sea as far as I’m concerned. Put the filets on a pine board, bake at 350 for 20 minutes and then throw the filets out and eat the pine board

Offline Icephishwyo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 18, 2018, 09:55 PM »
Trout are the antelope of the sea as far as I’m concerned. Put the filets on a pine board, bake at 350 for 20 minutes and then throw the filets out and eat the pine board
:clap: ::clap:

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 18, 2018, 10:29 PM »
Here in Maine, some say that about lake trout, but that’s about it. We love our wild trout and landlocked Salmon (Atlantic).  Sure the freshly stocked fish aren’t great eating, but we have holdovers, along with the most amount of wild brook trout waters in the US.  Different regions, different tastes. When people buy fish here, it’s basically always saltwater fish as we are on the coast. Mainers can’t imagine paying for yellow perch...let alone the prices I saw a few years ago.
But to the OP, depending on the size of the trout. I always cook my trout whole. If they are pan sized, I coat with seasoned breadcrumbs and pan fry with just a little oil. If bigger, I’ll usually cost with itialian dressing, cover in foil, and bake. The bone lifts right off the fillet when it’s done. you lift the tail and peel down the flesh with a fork, and flip the top side over and repeat with other fillet.

Offline dekatronic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2018, 01:02 AM »
It’s a little more prep work but filleting and removing the skin before cooking (and also the bands of fatty tissue along the belly and dorsal edge of the fillet) will eliminate much of the so-called muddy or fishy flavour.

Once I started preparing trout this way, I found I didn’t have to mask the taste with sauces and spices. Just pan-fried in butter with salt and pepper.

Offline Mohawk Garage

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2018, 08:08 AM »
Ha ha ha that's absolutely hilarious!!!!

Offline SnowPlane22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:33 PM »
On the grill with some Johnny's for me!

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2018, 09:43 PM »

When it looks like this, a little salt and brown sugar on the grill. Maybe butter in the pan. If the trout has white-ish meat it's brined and smoked.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2018, 12:59 AM »

What can you say... some people don’t like fish.
Come on fish!

Offline Wyohandscold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2018, 04:28 PM »
No I love fish with one exception. Just like I love wild game with one exception

Offline nredding2006

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2018, 10:21 PM »
Brine and smoke, can't beat trout that way.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #25 on: Dec 22, 2018, 07:36 AM »
I like those guys that don't care for trout and antelope. It leaves more for us that do enjoy them.  ;)
Some folks eat carp. I haven't, but If that floats their boat.....so be it.   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Dec 22, 2018, 07:55 AM »
Cut the head off gut ,clean fill cavity with chopped onions salt and pepper and butter and wrap well in foil and throw it on the grill..     ;)

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 22, 2018, 07:57 AM »
Cut the head off gut ,clean fill cavity with chopped onions salt and pepper and butter and wrap well in foil and throw it on the grill..     ;)

You don't really even need the foil if you put them on the high rack on the grill. Another good filling is horseradish and a spot of mustard.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Dec 23, 2018, 09:50 AM »
There's really no bad way to eat orange-melted trout! ;)
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #29 on: Dec 23, 2018, 10:13 AM »
Butter, galic, lemon pepper, and Lawreys seasoning salt.
Wrap in foil and cook on grill or heater on the ice.    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:   :tipup:

Wyo Ice
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.