Author Topic: northern kankakee county retention ponds 2-13-18  (Read 1979 times)

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
northern kankakee county retention ponds 2-13-18
« on: Feb 13, 2018, 08:41 PM »
fished a different pond today 9am to 1 and again 4 to 5. 3 bass and over 60 gills.

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: northern kankakee county retention ponds 2-13-18
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Nice job!!  I cant beleve we are that close and yet you have that much better ice? Way to go man do it to it. Stay Safe.

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2018, 01:55 PM »
keep in mind that a pond just a 100 yards away never got back to being safe, went out a bit ago and could hear the water re-saturating the frozen slush layer on top. did not set up, i'll be heading to madison monday for some tipup fishing and then that might be it.

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:40 PM »
Ah, mad city I have spent about 18 yrs extensively fishing upper and lower wisc, river parents had property outside the dells.geneva to hayward and alot of lakes inbetween I got a soft spot for W, first time I ever drove on a lake 76. Way cool up there you wont have to give the ice a 2nd thought, it ought to be good pickled pike? Hit it hard fish on!

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:20 AM »
i ice fish Wisconsin more than i soft water fish it. was up in hayward in january snow shoeing into back country lakes.

Offline knol86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:17 AM »
buddies and I are headed to Heyward area on Tuesday for 5 days of fishing.  Any lakes you guys would recommend?  We usually target crappie when up there but are hoping to try and track down some walleye this year.  Thanks for any input

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:50 AM »
we fished with a guide on the chippewa flowage and did OK on crappies on tip downs with a small minnow. i'm not familiar with that body of water but i know we were over cribs in about 18 feet of water on the northern part of the flowage.

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2018, 11:31 AM »
If you want to maybe work a smaller body of water, I would go to Stone Lake! About 15 mins from Heyward east on 70 I believe Pastikas is the bait shop,nice place it has public launches west side of lake about 30 yrds out from shore the people there have built RR tie cribs and droped em about 25' there big you will graph them theres a few they hold crappie, there's nice eyes,some big northern nice smallies to people that live around the lake are pretty nice,good pub in town and grocery store I think you would do well working that lake.Ive been there my self many times.when you get older ya gotta give up some gems this is one!!!  ( I did some great donuts with my truck there once!!

Offline knol86

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2018, 12:05 PM »
Thanks guys! I will let you know how we do.  We typically fish Gull Lake, which I don't think is too far from Stone Lake.  We were going to try Lac Courtes Orielles this year as our research as lead us to believe this should be a good walleye lake.  We will see what happens and if we get to any other lakes.  Looks like next weeks weather is going to be prime for fishing!!  We are starting to get pretty amped up!

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:02 PM »
Oriells, thats a choice I wouldnt expect for eyes but it's been awhile (Suit Up) last time I fished there, My buds and I got schooled by pike,and I think a musky or three!!! Rough Experience, There is definitely some big dog's in that lake.We went for panfish, LMAO didnt ger much to the boat! Never iced it, maybe it's calmer in the winter they have a really nice bar and resturant on site there, I hope you do well. Fish On!!!

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:34 AM »

GREAT DAY UP NORT!

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2018, 10:38 AM »
Looks like you had nice weather to go along with nice wolfs,good deal!!!

Offline crayphish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2018, 08:43 PM »
soon after we iced those two a steady cold wind driven rain started.

Offline Finaddict59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 26, 2018, 10:21 AM »
Yeah my town is flooded out, lot's of road closures.We got hit pretty hard, looks like no more shanty for me, open water, and cubs time now. I hope we get as much ice this coming winter as just past it was nice to get out locally for a change.Good closeouts on gear right now, snatched up a couple rods and another reel its a sickness! Thinking about retireing my shanty for something else lighter. Tight lines Fish On!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.