New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109384 times)

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #360 on: Apr 03, 2013, 07:11 PM »
Second that.
Dream Catcher

Offline mikvia46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #361 on: Jan 26, 2014, 08:07 PM »

Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« on: Jan 25, 2013, 05:31 PM »

I fished Otsego lake 1st time 2 years ago. Caught some huge Lakers. Last yr we had no ice. I'm praying we have a shot at it soon. Don't see
any posts about Otsego. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I'll post pics if I can figure out how. I'd love to hear some stories.

1/26/2014
Another year has gone by.Well I did get out once last season. Only caught 2 lakers and they  were  pretty much on the thin side. I hope to get out fishing soon. there should be good ice by now,it sure has been cold.

Offline Snowrd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #362 on: Jan 30, 2014, 06:39 AM »
Personally I like to fish lakers deep 120' to 150'. I jig about 10-20ft off the bottom. (seems to be about the best starting point for me) To be consitant in catching fish jigging you really need a flasher. once you see the fish on the flasher just reel right up to him and FISH ON!! It is not always that easy, but you get the idea.
Good luck

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #363 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:42 AM »
Last weekend I got them fast at sun up in 15fow.wish it was so windy as I would have followed them out.i would say start at 15 in am when they are hunting perch and move out if you are a nomad like me.if your a camper go out to 30 to 80 for and you'll get them coming through all day

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #364 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:35 PM »
What were you jigging with? 

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #365 on: Jan 30, 2014, 05:41 PM »
And where is the closest place to get bait?  And when do they open?

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #366 on: Jan 30, 2014, 08:55 PM »
Jigging rap will get the job done.spoons with a piece if meat works good too.

Offline regaffed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #367 on: Jan 30, 2014, 09:54 PM »
u can get bait at kellys deli at the corner of 20 and 80.heading out to the sunken island in the am.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #368 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:15 AM »
As am I regaffed.green wheeler pulling frabill ambush with 2 guys in red suits

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #369 on: Jan 31, 2014, 02:27 PM »
When do they open???  And is there anywhere else?  Someone aid something about Tom's on  the conditions board.  I cant find anywhere to get bait early and im not going up if we cant find bait

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #370 on: Jan 31, 2014, 07:10 PM »
Tom & Kelly's Convenient Corner, corner of Rt20 and Rt 80, Springfield Center , NY. 2 miles north of Otsego. Opens at 7am, but was there 6:15 this morning. Shiners, fatheads, suckers, spikes, sometimes wax worms, tackle, beer, and everything else a corner store sells.

BIGJim223

Offline fishpalal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #371 on: Jan 31, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Just want to post so I can see other areas on this site. Went to canadarago today and what a wash. Not much fun when its all work and no fish. Anyways just want to post on a thread Big Jim may read. Thanks for your courteous and friendly response to my own and others who have posted here trying to find a decent spot to enjoy fishing. As you and a few others I have never hesitated to guide others to enjoyable places to catch fish or find game. I guess the selfish self centered of this nation who don't know the one who grants us the breath and blessings of our day don't know the rewards of seeing others have a great memory to carry with them through their days of toil and hardships waiting for us all when we return home to serve the masters of greed and lies. God bless those of you who share and dry lines to the rest of you.

Offline BeenFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #372 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Are the lakers still hanging in shallower water in the AM. I want to take my son out this Saturday and get him into his first laker. Is the ice good in the glimmerglass area of lake. Thanks in advance to anyone who can let me know.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:51 AM »
There are always fish that hang shallower so you always have a decent chance.just a matter of whether u want to be surrounded by people ten feet away from u on the weekend. We personally can't stand it and found more pressure=less action.

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #374 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:29 AM »
Last Saturday I found them in 40 ft in the morning and 60 in the afternoon. I'd go out deeper right in the morning

Offline regaffed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #375 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:44 PM »
we got them in 10foot of water in the am and 40ft in late morning-afternoon.

Offline jigasol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #376 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:46 PM »
anybody catch any landlocks through the ice on otsego , have got em mixed in with the smallies in spring and fall

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's twice as nice when there stacked on the ice !
« Reply #377 on: Feb 06, 2014, 07:50 PM »
They don't stock browns or landlock salmon anymore.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #378 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:13 PM »
They don't stock browns or landlock salmon anymore.

According to DEC stocking reports 5500 landlocks were stocked in Otsego in 2012 and 9880 brown trout. It is true that no trout were listed for 2013 on the DEC website, but then again there are no listings for any lake or any species of fish in 2013.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7739.html

BIGJim223

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #379 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:22 PM »
According to DEC stocking reports 5500 landlocks were stocked in Otsego in 2012 and 9880 brown trout. It is true that no trout were listed for 2013 on the DEC website, but then again there are no listings for any lake or any species of fish in 2013.

BIGJim223
Call region 4 if you don't believe me.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #380 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:32 PM »
I didn't call you a liar...... just pointing out the info from the stocking reports available on line. Or not available on line.....

BIGJim223

Offline jigasol

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #381 on: Feb 07, 2014, 06:36 AM »
thanx bigjim for sharing your knowledge on otsego.is this just a bunch of trials gone wrong on this lake?70s otsego bass now gone   80s 90s smelt now gone  alewives now dissapearing.too many trout species at one time??are the walleyes suffering same problem as lakers??probably my favorite all around local bass lake,have done well in pleasure and tourney fishing   LM 6lbs  SM4 pluslbs but they too are changing.smallies are now being caught regularly all summer shallow when in the past we figured they would suspend with the trout in deep water.weights are down also  used to take 14 to 16 lb average now closer to 12 to 14 for 5 fish.is this a natural evolution or havent they figured out the forage base yet??

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #382 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:14 AM »

BIGJim223
What do you mean no trout were listed for 2013? Arnold lake, Gilbert lake Basswood pond  don't count. I never said they didn't stock in 2012 They are not stocking anymore. And the DEC didn't put smelt in that lake bait bucket biologists did and they out competed the whitefish then someone thought alewives would be great to throw in and then they out competed the smelt. Whitefish and lake trout thrived for thousands of years till people put invasive species in.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #383 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:20 AM »
he is talking about Otsego Lake stockings not lakes in Otsego Co.

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #384 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:27 AM »
Because they suspended Brown and landlock stocking indefinely like I said just call region 4 and ask.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #385 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:44 AM »
Nope, no more Whitfish in Otsego!  ;D

MK

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #386 on: Feb 07, 2014, 07:51 AM »
I knew we would be seeing someone with a pic of a whitefish. lol great job Mike. that from today? or old photo?

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #387 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:05 AM »
Nice "Otsego Bass" Mike... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline WALLEYES INC.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #388 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:08 AM »
DEC got like 12 white fish in there nets this fall nobody said they were gone. We have always got a few every year but now they have a chance populate more unlike the native burbot that has not been seen in like 15 yrs.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #389 on: Feb 07, 2014, 08:19 AM »
I knew we would be seeing someone with a pic of a whitefish. lol great job Mike. that from today? or old photo?

LOL!  No it was from last year out in 140 FOW in Hyde Bay! Surprised the heck out of me.  Didn't even know what it was until Jim explained it to me!  I released it not knowing how good they taste.  Thought it was a big creepy shiner! Haha!

All kidding aside, I'm not too optimistic over the chances of seeing Browns in Otsego either and I've tried every trick in the book to get one through the ice.  I think the last one I saw from Otsego was the excellent fish Jim caught shore casting a few years ago off 3 Mile. 

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.