New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 110058 times)

Offline trimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #300 on: Mar 10, 2013, 01:21 PM »
Fished this lake for the first time.We landed 6 lakers 18 to 25 inches and lost a bigger one at the hole.Great day for a new lake.

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #301 on: Mar 10, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Finally persistence prevailed. Caught 3 Lakers 20-22 inches jigging in 100 ft of water, 20 ft down. First Lakers I ever caught. The first one was landed on a ML Shanty Stik. Took me 5 minutes of sticking my pole down the hole..lol..That aint happening again. I immediately put that one away and used my Jason Mitchell Med. for the other 2. Awesome fight, and to see them using my MarCum......Definately have another outdoor addiction going on....

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #302 on: Mar 13, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Anybody been out to Glimmerglass lately? How the ice? Want to get out Friday and Sunday hopefully...Thanks

Offline captin bill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #303 on: Mar 17, 2013, 05:13 AM »
Sounds like the extra pressure has taken its toll, give it 15yrs.  ::) ::)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #304 on: Mar 17, 2013, 07:33 AM »
I went to cooperstown yesterday. As I drove by the lake I saw people out there still fishing. Lucky dogs.  ;D
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #305 on: Mar 17, 2013, 11:20 AM »
yes thats for shore
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #306 on: Mar 17, 2013, 12:19 PM »
It was beautiful but all I could find were lookers and chasers, no takers!

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #307 on: Mar 17, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Was at Glimmer for an hr, caught this one and left. I hate being out in the middle of the lake by myself, even tho there's 11 inches and growing. Mark a few more. Had another bite. Seems like I keep landing on bait fish. 75ft of water but 15 ft down. Last time I went they were in 95 ft of water but only 20 ft down. I am totally addicted to my Marcum and jigging Lakers. Can't believe I never did it before!! 26 inches....

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #308 on: Mar 17, 2013, 08:12 PM »
Great Job :thumbsup:
They are certainly addicting...
AW

Offline Patr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #309 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:58 AM »
3-17-13
Ice was 9 inches off of 3 mile edge still good. Pressure crack from south end of 3 mile all the way across.
Crack has refroze. Fished in 134 FOW blowing 18 mph. We caught one jigging and one on tipup. Both fish on the bottom. It was very slow.
 Fish on the finder but not many they wouldn't hit.
Hope to make it up one more time.
Please post condition thru out the week. Again please post conditions.
Thanks !!!

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #310 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:30 PM »
Went out of Glimmerglass this morning for probably my last trip on 2013 ice. Walked straight out to a spot I had GPS marked at 124FOW, 2.1 miles from the shore. Drilled my hole (14" of ice), put on a chartrues pimple, sent it to the bottom.
30 feet above the bottom, the bottom came alive on my graph! A nice fat 25" fish charged up and inhaled the pimple! Life is good! Even better, more fish followed it up the water column. Unhooked, measured, picture, released, lure back down!
  35 feet below the ice-SLAM! The game is on again, on the second drop. Smaller 23" fish. The graph screen now is loaded with a bait cloud and numerous lake trout 30-45 feet down. 3rd drop- BAM! Another 23". I lose the next (#4) fish at the hole.  Ended up hooking 7 and landing 5. Not bad for the first hole of the day!
  I wish I could report that the next hole was as good, or the next, or the next. Nothing but an occasional sniffer/chaser the rest of the day. Not another strike for the next 4 1/2 hours. I tried every jig color, size, shape, material in the box.
Notta......  Called it quits at 1:30 and made the 5 mile walk back to GG.
  It was a nice day, though started cold at 8*, saw 2 eagles first thing feeding on something off of Clarke Point, and easy walking/dragging ice. I was the only fisherman out of Glimmerglass all day. I believe March 18th may be the latest I have ice fished on Otsego, and there is still a lot of very good solid ice out there, but I think I am calling it for the season!

BIGJim223

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #311 on: Mar 19, 2013, 09:04 AM »
do you think those are clouds of baby perch or alewife?

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #312 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:24 AM »
do you think those are clouds of baby perch or alewife?

To be honest they looked like the bait clouds of alewives from a few years back, but I am just guessing. I doubt that they were perch suspended 30-45' over 124fow in the middle of Otsego, but you never know.
   I should have kept the 25" laker, a friend of mine wanted one for the smoker. He was a fat one and I would have gutted him to see what he was chowing on. But seeing how it was my first fish of the day I figured there would be more opportunities to get him one.

BIGJim223

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #313 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:35 AM »
Excellent.  One can only hope its alewife.   Have you or anyone you know seen any baitfish getting spit up by the lakers this year?

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #314 on: Mar 19, 2013, 10:58 AM »
I'm guessing they're alewives too. The last 2 times I went out the baitfish were 10-20 ft below the ice in 75-100 ft of water. Don't think they would be perch. The 26 incher I kept had an empty stomach. I found it strange that most times I wouldn't see baitfish til I dropped my spoon. Does the spoon attract the bait? Kinda works pretty good....lol

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #315 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:10 PM »
Kind of off topic but was just wondering if someone wouldnt mind sending me a p.s as to where i could maby lauch a rowboat ice out. i know glimmerglass campsites dont open until may and i head the launch at the south end is tough..any help would be appreciated. it wont be long

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #316 on: Mar 19, 2013, 02:21 PM »
Kind of off topic but was just wondering if someone wouldnt mind sending me a p.s as to where i could maby lauch a rowboat ice out. i know glimmerglass campsites dont open until may and i head the launch at the south end is tough..any help would be appreciated. it wont be long
with a foot of ice still, it will be longer than you may want.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #317 on: Mar 19, 2013, 03:26 PM »
Excellent.  One can only hope its alewife.   Have you or anyone you know seen any baitfish getting spit up by the lakers this year?

No lake trout I've caught this year, hard or soft water, has puked up bait. It used to be virtually every lake trout, summer or winter puked up alewives. Good jigging bait! ;D ;D

BIGJim223

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #318 on: Mar 19, 2013, 03:31 PM »

You can launch a "rowboat" in Glimmerglass anytime after ice out, the campground does not have to be open. You will have to pay admission to the park after they open for the season in May, though. Very primitive launch, no trailers. Very muddy at the launch site. Better suited for canoes and kayaks. You have to be able to carry or drag your boat in or out of Shadow Brook. It is also very shallow in there.

BIGJim223 

Offline TheSystem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish Fear Me
« Reply #319 on: Mar 19, 2013, 05:12 PM »
Launch at 3 mile, real easy spot for a car top launch

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #320 on: Mar 19, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Launch at 3 mile, real easy spot for a car top launch

During the off season! Not a good place to go during the summer months, as a rule!

BIGJim223

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #321 on: Mar 20, 2013, 04:27 AM »
Yeah couple summers ago at 3 mile they wanted me to buy a pass (because I am not a C-Town res.) for like $75 to throw the canoe in for about the last two hours of daylight, after a few minutes of back and forth they let us go.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #322 on: Mar 20, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Good jigging bait! ;D ;D

SSSSHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!   ;) ;D ;D

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #323 on: Mar 21, 2013, 05:32 PM »
Is anybody going out tomorrow afternoon? I won't be there until about 12:30 and I hate going out in the deep by myself.....but I always do cause my love of jigging Lakers is greater than my fear   ;D Also Sunday morning I will be going. Won't get there til about 8:30. If anybody wants any company either of those times inbox me your phone number. This will be my last hurrah on Otsego. Would like to hit it a few times this spring/summer tho....

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #324 on: Mar 22, 2013, 08:47 AM »
I'm heading out Sunday morning for probably the last trip of the year. Put my stuff away but now I'm taking it back out. Looking forward to it.

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #325 on: Mar 22, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Heading out on Sunday too. One last run, one last shot at a decent Brown through the ice.

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #326 on: Mar 22, 2013, 08:30 PM »
me too :thumbsup:

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #327 on: Mar 23, 2013, 06:58 AM »
Heading out on Sunday too. One last run, one last shot at a decent Brown through the ice.

Ever have much luck with the browns there? Ive caught more than my fair share of lakers this year,even an occasional walleye..but havnt seen a brown pulled out yet. even when i set my lines right under the ice i only get lakers.  i know there are some big browns in there though

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #328 on: Mar 23, 2013, 10:40 AM »
Ever have much luck with the browns there? Ive caught more than my fair share of lakers this year,even an occasional walleye..but havnt seen a brown pulled out yet. even when i set my lines right under the ice i only get lakers.  i know there are some big browns in there though

6.25Lb

I have personally seen a 12.5 and a 10 pound brown. They were caught on open water though. There was a rumor of a 32" brown being caught this winter in very shallow water off Clarke Point, though I did not see it. They are in there!

BIGJim223

Offline mikerudy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Laker Taker
« Reply #329 on: Mar 23, 2013, 11:27 AM »
Pretty Fish!
Dream Catcher

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.