New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 110199 times)

Offline riderlow23

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #180 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:33 PM »
Catch and release?? Ummmm, you need to go the opposite and let people keep more, maybe even go back to a slot limit. The problem there now is the alewives have crashed and there's not enough food for the fish that are there. The trouble with just letting them keep more is it takes a while to change the regs and by that time the bait population may be phenomenal.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #181 on: Feb 13, 2013, 03:03 PM »
champlain!!  with its burgeoning population of alewives, huge population of lake trout, and 278k acres to play with...well...anyone can see why that should be a destination!

I just can't understand why more haven't already!

Planned on that last year and never made it got a place to stay and everthing, fished open water up there what I saw made me wanna hit the hard water.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #182 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:59 PM »
Im game! Have Vex, will travel. Doesn't matter where. I can think of more than a few ADK lakes that would be worth the trip.  ;)

Offline jperson22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #183 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:22 PM »
I have fished 3 mile point in the past and had great luck .. people have have seemed to real good off of glimmerglass this year how far is the walk off to get into a mix of eyes and lakers or should i just brave it and hit 3 mile up

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #184 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Wow.........A lot of negativity on here.
Well here's my thoughts on things. I remember when this lake was CLOSED to Trout fishing from Sept 30Th to April 1st and there was only a remnant population of Walleye in the lake. So the lake was devoid of fisherman during the Winter except for the few diehard Whitefish snatchers and Perch fishermen in the know.
Now, as an average Joe, you can take advantage of fishing for the fish that your tax dollars paid to stock. This is what you got in lew of a boat launch at Glimmerglass State Park. For anyone on this forum to complain because its crowed is beyond my comprehension.  I can understand getting pissed off if someone sets up on top of you. But the fact that there are lots of people on the lake tells me that the plan for access is working....kind of.
Parking will always be an issue that's tied to fishing here and access is limited so it just compounds the matter. ***** ******* was never considered in the equation for access. It's for town of *********** residents only......and Big Red is right, it never should have been mentioned here.
Glimmerglass will continue to be the primary access for this lake with 3 mile point as a smaller 1st come, 1st serve destination.  If your like me and don't have a machine you should plan on walking if you want to get away from the crowds.
Sorry if I sound all preachy, Just trying to keep it real!

Offline mohawkmonsters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Rider

Exactly right a lot of fish no forage when's the last time u saw a small lake trout because of lack of forage lakers and walleyes have canibalized whole age classes forage needs to be replaced to improve our lake

Offline mohawkmonsters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #186 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:25 PM »
I feel crowds are up on the lake compared to past years because of chatter about little yellow fish and fifty percent of the groups are there for that and are catching the trout as a result of lack of a forage base

Offline DrGreene

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #187 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:02 AM »
Where is the sign up sheet to have a 9 mile long lake to your self ? You guys are joking right. My fishing license says I can fish here.it does not say this lake is private you don't own it get over it or go fish some where else

Offline bassomatic

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #188 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:12 AM »
Where is the sign up sheet to have a 9 mile long lake to your self ? You guys are joking right. My fishing license says I can fish here.it does not say this lake is private you don't own it get over it or go fish some where else

:clap:

Offline paul23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA Bauls25 on mff
« Reply #189 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:30 AM »
Keep mentioning that launch, Im sure it will help.  ???

Or you could go back and use the delete button on the handful of posts regarding it.

Offline yarn em in

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #190 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:37 AM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #191 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:45 AM »
If you don't like the crowd go somewhere else. We all buy the same license. I never fished there but plan on it and don't really care how many people are there. There's millions of fish swimming in billions of gallons of water in NYS. I don't live anywhere around big lakes with such good fishing. I do fish a small local reservoir. There's quite a few people on it for the size. I let people drill right next to me. The fish aren't yours.....Get over it!

Offline fishslapped

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #192 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Wow.........A lot of negativity on here.
Well here's my thoughts on things. I remember when this lake was CLOSED to Trout fishing from Sept 30Th to April 1st and there was only a remnant population of Walleye in the lake. So the lake was devoid of fisherman during the Winter except for the few diehard Whitefish snatchers and Perch fishermen in the know.
Now, as an average Joe, you can take advantage of fishing for the fish that your tax dollars paid to stock. This is what you got in lew of a boat launch at Glimmerglass State Park. For anyone on this forum to complain because its crowed is beyond my comprehension.  I can understand getting pissed off if someone sets up on top of you. But the fact that there are lots of people on the lake tells me that the plan for access is working....kind of.
Parking will always be an issue that's tied to fishing here and access is limited so it just compounds the matter. Public Landing was never considered in the equation for access. It's for town of Springfield residents only......and Big Red is right, it never should have been mentioned here.
Glimmerglass will continue to be the primary access for this lake with 3 mile point as a smaller 1st come, 1st serve destination.  If your like me and don't have a machine you should plan on walking if you want to get away from the crowds.
Sorry if I sound all preachy, Just trying to keep it real!

sounds like some people are getting jealous because there seeing others get fish. "AMERICAN GREED AT ITS FINEST"  Glimmerglass is a state park its our tax dollars that paid for it,we paid for the fish. Public access not private property. If your a true sportsman you should be happy to see people out there enjoying themselves thats what its there for. or you can keep on with your libral mind set and drive people away and give the state another reason to divert our conservation funds towards something else. I will be out on otsego this weekend so if you dont want to be bothered please hang a do not disturb sign or go around and lift your leg on your tip ups so I know its your area. I always thought of fishing as a social sport.
"CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG" ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

Offline rugermag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #193 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:15 AM »
I have no problem with friends or family sharing the ice near me. But, I sure as the devil don't want strangers camping
on top of my tips or where I am jigging! Wouldn't do it to them. The key is courtesy. Something those type don't have!!

Offline regaffed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #194 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Well said fishslapped!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #195 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:46 AM »
sounds like some people are getting jealous because there seeing others get fish. "AMERICAN GREED AT ITS FINEST" 

simply speaking the truth.  :afro:  The greed/jealousy part though, that is so far off base, its AWOL. 

Offline perchfilet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #196 on: Feb 14, 2013, 02:54 PM »
This is ice fishing, it's not panning for gold or digging for diamonds. You don't get to stake-out an area on the lake and drive away intruders. I love
 it when people say it's alright for friends or family to fish near them, but not strangers. Grow up! What harm is done by people fishing close to
you, unless you have something to hide. I fished Otsego today out of Glimmerglass and the only thing that disturbed me was the garbage left on
the ice. P.S. I did see some tipup fishermen who had their tipups strung out for a couple of hundred yards. Is this now their private fishing grounds?

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #197 on: Feb 14, 2013, 03:54 PM »
I have no problem with other peeps fishing near me, as long as they are friendly  :) ... but if they are grumpy or disrespectful A-holes than it's a diff story.  >:(    ... and the jealousy thing is a non-issue with me.

and the only thing that disturbed me was the garbage left on

THIS is one of the problems with having more people fishing any body of water.  :-\
You have regulars who have fished there for years and try to keep the place clean (more people = more garbage) sad but true, a few slobs can ruin it for everybody  !!

Limited access is another issue with more guys

Last time i went to 3 mile (3-4 years ago) ... i got there well before 1st light (like an hour prior) and there was 1 spot left, i got lucky having just drove 2 hours !! The cars that followed me into the lot were S.O.L. ... When i left there were guys parked on rt80 and the cops were there too  ;)

Glimmerglass can be a very long walk in good caonditions, but add deep snow/slushy conditions :P forget it. Unless you have a machine but that's a diff story, not every body does.  :P

As for the other private parking areas, if this year shenanigans keep up in those places, they will be shut right down !!

And now the issues with many starving/skinny lakers ... doesn't make we want to venture out that way this year. I'll head north.  ;D

Nice to see a few fatty lakers (and the eyes seem to be thriving  :o ).

That's my 2-cents
Peace out

Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Feb 14, 2013, 04:04 PM »
I fished out of Glimmerglass today, 24 vehicles in the lot at 8:15, yesterday at 8:30 there was a counted 34 vehicles. Guess what? I still got a place to park! And fishing today, I did not have anybody near me by at least 500 yards! Here's something else- I caught fish! And I wasn't in the "city" off of Clarke's Point! I did walk a bit, but it paid off and I did not infringe on anyone's private claim! In fact, I only talked to one other fisherman and that was on my way in, and we had a very pleasant conversation!
    You guys need to chill out just a bit! The lake is 9.2 miles long and 170 feet deep, I am sure there is a spot out there to drill a hole and catch a fish! It was a beautiful day out there, maybe a little walking would do us all good!
  Just my two cents, but this thread is just too over the top on some of the opinions...

BIGJim223

Offline matthews88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Feb 14, 2013, 05:33 PM »
I agree big jim if u dont want to fish around a crowd move down the lake. We are all there for same reasn to catch fish if we all keep  on here next thing there will b no access for any of us, i thing there is enough fish for all of us to enjoy we are not in a competition to see who can get and who cant.

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:02 PM »
Great words Big Jim :thumbsup:
AW

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #201 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:28 PM »
Nice to see you speak up Jim and give your two cents on a testy subject. . Glad u had a great day. In all honesty, a bunch of fish need to be taken out of the lake with the dramatic shift in forage base we've seen.   Maybe you guys can all help out and keep your one lake trout.  It can only help the walleyes.  Gonna be a fun weekend out there, good luck y'all.

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #202 on: Feb 14, 2013, 06:52 PM »
You guys need to chill out just a bit! The lake is 9.2 miles long and 170 feet deep, I am sure there is a spot out there to drill a hole and catch a fish! It was a beautiful day out there, maybe a little walking would do us all good!

BIGJim223

Amen to that!

I'll probably be out there this weekend myself and I'm always willing to hang out and shoot the breeze with some of my fellow sportsmen. You just better be prepared to walk to the GOOD SPOTS.  ;)

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #203 on: Feb 14, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Amen to that!

I'll probably be out there this weekend myself and I'm always willing to hang out and shot the breeze with some of my fellow sportsmen. You just better be prepared to walk to the GOOD SPOTS.  ;)
He isn't kidding...I thought Marty was crazy when I saw where he hiked last weekend. Have to be willing to do it though.

Offline reddot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #204 on: Feb 14, 2013, 08:30 PM »
The point is, if you have done your research and put in your time to find a productive spot on the lake and set up early you should'nt have to deal with the lurkers to just show up cause they heard it was decent the day b4 and set up right next to you and thru your setup.  Put your own damn time in and figure it out.  Everyone wants to catch fish with as little effort as possible.
Its to the point on this lake the limit of lakers should be more than 1

Offline Baitfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Feb 14, 2013, 09:25 PM »
He isn't kidding...I thought Marty was crazy when I saw where he hiked last weekend. Have to be willing to do it though.

Who me? Crazy? lol  I paid for that hike for 2 days afterwards. It was a lot easier 20 years ago.

There are lots of spots on this lake that are good. Every weed line, bar, shelf and rock pile will hold fish at one time or another. I will gladly walk a mile or 2 to hit a piece of structure that has been kind to me in the past.

Offline RTF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Feb 15, 2013, 03:40 AM »
I fished out of Glimmerglass today, 24 vehicles in the lot at 8:15, yesterday at 8:30 there was a counted 34 vehicles. Guess what? I still got a place to park! And fishing today, I did not have anybody near me by at least 500 yards! Here's something else- I caught fish! And I wasn't in the "city" off of Clarke's Point! I did walk a bit, but it paid off and I did not infringe on anyone's private claim! In fact, I only talked to one other fisherman and that was on my way in, and we had a very pleasant conversation!
  Just my two cents, but this thread is just too over the top on some of the opinions...

BIGJim223

Amen to that Jim. This past Saturday I was the first car in the lot followed by a convoy. On Sunday morning I was there well before light and was about the 10th car. When I left Sunday the lot was completely full and other cars were trying to find a spot to park. A few of the drivers trying to find a spot to park were furious about the situation, BUT guess what? They weren't fishermen but in fact cross country skiers.

I must give BIG thank you to the guys with snow machines as they made walking so much better on Sunday by packing down some great trails across the lake.

Saturday was bad for us without one bite. Sunday was totally opposite as we nailed them one after the other. It was unbelievable. And no it was not trout, we were into perch big time. YES we want to catch trout but the perch were way too fun. As long as my boy is catching fish he don't care.

This thing about parking along RT 80 at 3 Mile Point, is there signs up along the highway that say "No Parking" ? I have to ask because I am constantly seeing cars parked along RT 80 there and I see no evidence of enforcement. And how can Cooperstown Village PD enforce anything out that far as they are out of their jurisdiction???

Offline eduard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:47 AM »
What are the ice conditions ,thickness and is there snow or slush on the ice

Offline papacoondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • love the lakers
« Reply #208 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:47 PM »
went out on Wednesday there was a lot of slush out there.

Offline Iamtrip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #209 on: Feb 15, 2013, 07:22 PM »
Did anyone fish today? If so how was the ice?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.