New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY  (Read 109663 times)

Offline lakerdave

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Otsego Lake, Cooperstown, NY
« Reply #150 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:56 PM »
I had some hot action today from 8-9 . I landed 4 for 7 . With the biggest being 30. I also got a 27 ,a 23 ,and a 18 .. wicked wind out there . 

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #151 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:59 PM »
must be from "all the action" out there? ::) that's ok, rumor has it public landing is going to be closed down.

Loosing public access is never good.. Always remember "we" are the public..

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #152 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:01 PM »
the "public" landing is actually for Springfield residents only.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #153 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:04 PM »
That's all cool but without the public , buying fishing licences , there would be no fishery..
I dislike private waters, esp when the public supports them..

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:09 PM »
totally agree Tuna.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #155 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:09 PM »
Loosing public access is never good.. Always remember "we" are the public..

It was historically called "Public Landing" because it was a ferry boat stop on the lake in the late 1800's and early 1900's. It is actually privately owned and on a "Perpetual Lease" for the use of the Town of Springfield residents. If non-residents are using it, the land can be taken back by the "owning" family. And trust me, that piece of land is worth a WHOLE LOT OF MONEY to the owning family. I am sure that they would not mind having it back in their portfolio.....

BIGJim223

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Little off the subject but 3 mile during the summer, we went over there wanted to throw the canoe in for the last couple hours of light and fish for smallies, they wanted me to pay to put the canoe in, what ever the day pass was or I could buy a season pass for some stupid fee only wanted to fish for at best 2 hrs. I think we are lucky they open it for the winter and dont charge.

Offline matthews88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:21 PM »
We r actually lucky they plow out glimmerglass or otherwise would b a very hard lake to access in the winter for those of us who enjoy the hardwater, just my two cents but just seem harder every year to keep access.

Offline BIGJim223

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:23 PM »
Little off the subject but 3 mile during the summer, we went over there wanted to throw the canoe in for the last couple hours of light and fish for smallies, they wanted me to pay to put the canoe in, what ever the day pass was or I could buy a season pass for some stupid fee only wanted to fish for at best 2 hrs. I think we are lucky they open it for the winter and dont charge.

Kind of the same deal at 3 Mile. The land was "Given" to the Village of Cooperstown for their residents use. They can enforce the resident use rule (and have!) during the winter months, but usually don't as long as the parking does not get out of hand too bad. And don't ever park your rig on Rt 80, you will be ticketed/towed by village police. They also lock it down if the Village decides that the ice is not safe, in their opinion, as they did 2 weeks ago.

BIGJim223

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:35 PM »
Oh yeah they did with me that day (enforce the rule) thats when the big fee come out. 

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #160 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:38 PM »
 Milford/Maryland line  was a local milk run over the mountain. I can look at goodyear lake from my tree stand..
What once was public will never be again in my life time.. Maybe someday it will be a relapse but still its a heck of private property now.. Why , why else $ Shame but true ..

Jim you are 100% correct and I know little about Ostego lake. Big Lake big dollars and with that becomes BIG responsibilities when all of us are involved..
The Best thing for everyone is to be the stewarts of what we have.. Keep it clean, keep it as low impact as possible, be courteous and friendly to neighbors and show respect for our privilege..

This comin weekend I hope to have the privilege of fishing otsego lake again and meeting nice people..   

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #161 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:46 PM »
if I didn't have contests with my son sat/sun I would look you up Tuna. good luck out there!

Offline Fin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #162 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:08 AM »
Nice--I used to go on at five mile point.  Can someone tell me another place to get on? Thanks in advance.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #163 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Nice--I used to go on at five mile point.  Can someone tell me another place to get on? Thanks in advance.

There is public access at 3 mile point and glimmerglass state park.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #164 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:39 AM »
We r actually lucky they plow out glimmerglass or otherwise would b a very hard lake to access in the winter for those of us who enjoy the hardwater, just my two cents but just seem harder every year to keep access.

Its amazing, folks blow the lake up on here and now everyone is worried about access?    HA!  Great job guys!  You can't have it both ways.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #165 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:01 AM »
its a lake that has always gotten a lot of attention from ice-fisherman. and when it doesn't freeze for a year or 2 of course its going to be the "lake to go to". with out any baitfish in there for the fish to eat, its better to take some out so there isn't and abundance of long skinny fish like we are currently catching. just my opinion though.

Steve

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #166 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:13 AM »
its a lake that has always gotten a lot of attention from ice-fisherman. and when it doesn't freeze for a year or 2 of course its going to be the "lake to go to". with out any baitfish in there for the fish to eat, its better to take some out so there isn't and abundance of long skinny fish like we are currently catching. just my opinion though.

Steve

so your telling me it has always been as crowded at Glimmerglass as it is this year with guys setting on top of other guys?   Sure  ;D 

And Springfield landing, wow, common sense would dictate that access like that should NEVER be mentioned publicly on here - along with the walleyes...and look what happened when it did.  ::)

And yeah, Otsego's gonna need to lose the majority of its laker population if it wants to have anything sustainable now that the fish have nothing to eat but baby perch.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #167 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:23 AM »
yes I remember 4-5 years ago it didn't freeze and the following year is was a circus. yes I agree the public landing is private and should be treated that way. it wasn't revealed on here where the walleye were hitting until someone got upset. truth be told I have also heard of some coming from various other locations on the lake, possibly many more, but my lips are sealed now ;) and for the lakers I have never seen anything like it, calling them skinny doesn't even do them justice they look like there dyeing to get out of the water than live there and starve to death.

Steve

Offline ziggy6

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:36 AM »
Big Red, coming from Uitica which spot, 3 mile or glimmerglass would be closer? ( gonna make a break from the inlaws house) :)  thank you for any help in my escape plan.   

Offline mpexcell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:53 AM »
Ziggy6, Coming from utica takes about 50 minutes to three mile point and the walk is short to your spot, take 28 to 20 then then take 80 to three mile. Very convenient parking there and less walk out.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #170 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:05 AM »
Ziggy6, Coming from utica takes about 50 minutes to three mile point and the walk is short to your spot, take 28 to 20 then then take 80 to three mile. Very convenient parking there and less walk out.

Closer walk to deep water, but usually parked up by 6-630 am, and the deep water isn't what it used to be.   and parking along the road is not an option.  Glimmerglass state park has been busy too, but alot more parking over there, and more variety of water to fish.  If you are going to join in the crowds, make sure you leave plenty of space between your area and others.

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #171 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:25 AM »
I remember in years past there was nobody in Hyde Bay, but lots of guys in the 90-120 range in front of the bay...now you have almost the opposite. Guys really crowding...I may take my laker fishing elsewhere... Its ridiculous. I can't stand crowds like this. Typically I will hike way away from the crowds but it seems that if one guy is in a spot for awhile, others soon crowd him. Its a big lake...give some space.

-Zach

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #172 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:53 AM »
I remember in years past there was nobody in Hyde Bay, but lots of guys in the 90-120 range in front of the bay...now you have almost the opposite. Guys really crowding...I may take my laker fishing elsewhere... Its ridiculous. I can't stand crowds like this. Typically I will hike way away from the crowds but it seems that if one guy is in a spot for awhile, others soon crowd him. Its a big lake...give some space.

-Zach
:clap:i agree. think my next trip is going to be up in the adirondak's

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #173 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:02 PM »
Want some company?  I promise I won't crowd you!  ;)

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #174 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:09 PM »
Where you guys wanna go? Count me in!  :)

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:13 PM »
never mind company as long as im warned, lol. anytime you guys wanna go shoot me a pm. this weekend my son has me booked for contests. and Tuesdays are out. like I said shoot me a pm and we'll set up something. indian, fourth wherever!

Steve

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #176 on: Feb 13, 2013, 12:55 PM »
champlain!!  with its burgeoning population of alewives, huge population of lake trout, and 278k acres to play with...well...anyone can see why that should be a destination!

I just can't understand why more haven't already!

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #177 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Boy by the sounds of things, i am kind of glad i haven't ventured out to the "O" this year  :-\ :P   
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline mpexcell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Feb 13, 2013, 01:49 PM »
Personally did better at glimmer glass for lakers and ice was much better. The walk was worth it for me. Fished 3 mile point yesterday and had 2 inches of hard crust slouch over 4-5 inches black ice. Caught several short lakers and few keepers. Glimmer was better for me last week and caught few eyes there at least.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #179 on: Feb 13, 2013, 02:15 PM »
champlain!!  with its burgeoning population of alewives, huge population of lake trout, and 278k acres to play with...well...anyone can see why that should be a destination!

I just can't understand why more haven't already!
and heck while we're monkeying with the flashers I can set out 15 tip-ups to boot. lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.