New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

Catching your own bait!

(1/4) > >>

Joppa-flat:
Does anyone ever try catching thier own bait before or during the winni derby? We are headed up to winni for the derby on Friday to move our bobhouse to our rainbow location and was thinking of trying to catch some of our own bait. Has anyone ever tried this and did they have much luck? What type of fish would we be likely to catch and what would be the best bait in the trap?

Venzulo:
Do you mean from the water body you are fishing? As in, down the hole?

Or just in general? I've tried in general and have had 2, yes 2 minnow traps stolen. 1 from a high-visability spot, and the other from a spot in the woods, in a bog. It's almost as if you need to trap on your own property to ensure you keep your trap. That is, unless I put an RFID tag on it, mmmmmooohahahahahahaha .

Bottom line is, fresh bait is awesome. I used a few crays I had and they caught large bass nonstop compared to my buddy who got skunked on the crays he bought at the bait store.

Joppa-flat:
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Common sense tells me using bait fish that is commonly found in the lake or pond your fishing would produce more hits! Right! Any thoughts on bait to put in the trap? I have used saltine crackers and dried bread crumbs with pretty good results. Maybe you know of something that would work better.

BrianF:
dogfood works well.

I'm kind of with V though. It is a challenge to keep people or mother nature away from your traps. The first year my trap was stolen. The 2nd year I tried it seemed like mother nature was having her way with me. I had a section of the river freeze over my trap and line going into it. It was moving water too. Next spot was along a bank that collapsed during some heavy rains. Got my trap out both times but thee 2-3 shiners to show for it was not worth it.

That being said though I have always wanted to throw it down the hole on the lake I'm fishing to see if anything would find its way in while I'm there. I think you would do better in the fall though prior to the water freezing in a small  pond and for a week or so of sitting time.

troutmaster:
I used to catch my own bait yearround but now here in new york we need to have certified bait.
you need to carry a slip from the bait shop and if youre cought without it you get a ticket.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version