New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

Who is ready for the Derby?

(1/10) > >>

Venzulo:
Who is ready? Truck all packed? This is my 7th Meredith Rotary Derby in a row and every time it gets close it's like Christmas as a kid. Every year I say I might take the next one off, and every year by late December I start making plans again. This is the only competitive (if you can call it that) fishing I do all year, incuding open water (so far) and it gets me revved up every time. I have so many fond memories of Derbies past, and every year is unique. So here goes;

Venzulo's List of How to Make the Derby Fun and Memorable.

1. First and foremost, invite someone new to the group every year. Mix it up a little, keeps things interesting.
2. Find a destination where you can park the truck on Friday and not get in it again till Sunday afternoon; leaves more time for fishing etc.
3. Pick a fishing spot and stay there for the Derby. You had 51 weekends since last derby to figure it out, now fish it and fish it hard. The Derby is 16 hours long, would you rather be scouting or fishing?
4. Be prepared, but don't pack like your wife. You need an Auger, 3 or 7 traps (an extra pre-rigged trap), bait. You don't need those knitted hole-cozies your grandmother-in-law knitted for you. And remember, beer is easier to carry when it is in your stomach.
5. Bring food that you either made or killed. Nothing like moose meat or a good chili recipe on the ice, and it's more memorable than a baconator from Wendys.
6. Be considerate. $59k in prizes doesn't give anyone the right to be a jackazz for the weekend. Just because your MX-Z goes 120mph, doesn't mean you have to prove it within 6 feet of my traps.
7. Do your homework! Trying to find medium shiners at 4am, with 2 hours sleep and a killer headache really sucks. Enough said ;)
8. Lastly, have fun! Icefishermen on the whole are a great lot. Guys who brave amazing conditions to sit around drinking beer and catching fish are a special breed.

If this is your first one you owe it to yourself to stop by Meredith Bay at some point. I remember my virgin trip like it was yesterday. That was in 2001 when the derby started at noon on Friday (wish it still did). I was floored at the amount of people that were as crazy as I was to be dedicated to such a sport. Chat with the wardens, talk to strangers, eat their food, drink their beer. You won't find a better group of 4000 people.

Be safe out there. And if you see an ugly dude, crooked nose, blue north face jacket and a rabbit fur elmer fudd hat, say hi.

Venzulo

_FLAG_:
I'll Drink to that!!!

Maybe I will swing by and say hi... If i can make it by sled! I have a good idea where you are so hopefully I can find you.

Pail Rider:

--- Quote from: Venzulo on Feb 01, 2008, 02:10 PM ---You won't find a better group of 4000 people.

And if you see an ugly dude, crooked nose, and a rabbit fur elmer fudd hat, say hi.

--- End quote ---

So 3000 of the 4000 there look just like you...thanks for narrowing it down.  ;D

BTW, my MX-Z only does 110, but it won't be with me for the derby.  

gdnoggin:
I was that "new guy" once and now i'm hooked.  Nice post Zulo

shaun:
I LIKE ALL THE RULES YOU HAVE POSTED.  EVERYTHING YOU SAID IS THE TRUTH AND HOPE TO SEE YA OR HEAR FROM YA ON CHANNEL 7..  GOOD LUCK TO THE ICE SHANTY CREW.    SHAUN

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version