New Hampshire > Ice Fishing New Hampshire

....another deer

<< < (2/3) > >>

jayswimmer09:
im glad to see that that great meet isnt being wasted!! good job

SPARKYICE:
i hate to be critical, and i hope you don't take this the wrong way,
but the way you have your meat wrapped, it's going to get ruined by freezer burn.

styrofoam trays and celophane are ok for short term storage in your fridge,
but for long term freezing you need to have the meat tightly wrapped in freezer paper or vacuum packed, such that no air is in contact with the meat.

i learned this the hard way. in 6-8 weeks the meat in those packages will be just about inedible.
in the bags on the left, you can already see it starting-it's that frosty stuff betwen the meat and the bag.
that frost forms from the moisture being drawn out of the meat.
when you thaw out those bags, you'll see dried out brownish patches on the edges of the meat-freezer burn.

sorry, dude, but it's true.

duck doctor:
No offense taken.  I have been pakaging my meat the same way for over 15 years now. The only time I have run into freezer burn is when I find a package of meat that slipped down behind something and has been there for a long time. Believe it or not, 6-8 weeks and the majority of the meat will be gone!

pikemaster789:
Fine looking deer and an even better looking freezer :laugh:

longbeardking:

--- Quote from: SPARKYICE on Nov 08, 2007, 08:24 PM ---i hate to be critical, and i hope you don't take this the wrong way,
but the way you have your meat wrapped, it's going to get ruined by freezer burn.

styrofoam trays and celophane are ok for short term storage in your fridge,
but for long term freezing you need to have the meat tightly wrapped in freezer paper or vacuum packed, such that no air is in contact with the meat.

i learned this the hard way. in 6-8 weeks the meat in those packages will be just about inedible.
in the bags on the left, you can already see it starting-it's that frosty stuff betwen the meat and the bag.
that frost forms from the moisture being drawn out of the meat.
when you thaw out those bags, you'll see dried out brownish patches on the edges of the meat-freezer burn.

sorry, dude, but it's true.

--- End quote ---

I too take no offense. I have been packaging meat this way for allot longer that 15 years and have kept meat AND fish for well over a year with no problem. As long as the package material is not punctured the contents does very well for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version