Author Topic: shiners for sale?  (Read 1533 times)

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
shiners for sale?
« on: Oct 31, 2021, 07:18 AM »
who has the cheapest price for med shiners in the Exeter/Kingston area?

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: shiners for sale?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2021, 02:38 PM »
who has the cheapest price for med shiners in the Exeter/Kingston area?

No one.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2021, 07:20 PM »
Gun store in kingston use to sell shiners ..Merrimack bait and tackle is your best choice
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2021, 08:21 PM »
Gun store in kingston use to sell shiners ..Merrimack bait and tackle is your best choice
is that Merrimack bait in Amesbury? any idea what they're charging?

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2021, 08:40 AM »
Merrimack bait and tackle is your best choice

My understanding from a somewhat recent inquiry to NH F&G, is that baitfish from Massachusetts are not legally allowed to be brought into New Hampshire. 

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2021, 08:48 AM »
Don's Market in Hampstead had them last year but no idea what they're charging.  Other than that there's a place in Salem (B&G Oil) that you can check.  And of course, Wildlife in Auburn/Manch and Taylor's in Madbury, neither being particularly close to Kingston or Exeter.  If there's others, I'm not aware and no idea on pricing.  I'd expect to pay more than you're used to, frankly.

Obviously the closing of Suds in Greenland has impacted bait availability in Seacoast area.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2021, 02:15 PM »
My understanding from a somewhat recent inquiry to NH F&G, is that baitfish from Massachusetts are not legally allowed to be brought into New Hampshire.

You're correct... Can't bring bait from Mass to NH waters...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2021, 07:59 PM »
You're correct... Can't bring bait from Mass to NH waters...
but if I buy them in NH, keep them in a bait tank in MA...?

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 02, 2021, 08:52 PM »
RD, I don't know what his prices will be this season, but Pawtuckaway Trading Post in Raymond is an option for close to Exeter/Kingston. And BTW, Jason who owned Suds n soda is working with them over there now periodically, so hopefully he brings his bait dealer in, which was better quality IMO.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 02, 2021, 09:06 PM »
RD, I don't know what his prices will be this season, but Pawtuckaway Trading Post in Raymond is an option for close to Exeter/Kingston. And BTW, Jason who owned Suds n soda is working with them over there now periodically, so hopefully he brings his bait dealer in, which was better quality IMO.
any idea what they were charging this year? they're not far from my daughter's home

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 02, 2021, 10:45 PM »
but if I buy them in NH, keep them in a bait tank in MA...?

You can't purchase or trap bait in Mass and fish it in NH. Don't think it matters where your storage tank is as long as you fish NH waters with NH bait...  I think Steve brought it up because you mentioned Amesbury.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2021, 05:23 AM »
sounds like a law that cant be enforced. or do they do "bait road blocks" lol
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2021, 05:42 AM »
I don't think it matters where you buy it or keep it. It's about transporting live bait across state lines.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 03, 2021, 07:40 AM »

True but I wouldn't want to be the guy that introduces something into an eco system that doesn't belong there.
Every fish is a good fish!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 03, 2021, 07:57 AM »
True but I wouldn't want to be the guy that introduces something into an eco system that doesn't belong there.
neither would I, but all the bait shops that I know of sell Arkansas shiners and all the NE states have goldens in their waters. NH allows the use of spot tail shiners, but not MA. Don't know why that is.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 03, 2021, 08:56 AM »

While NH doesn't, some states require you keep the dated receipt for live bait fish to prove it's farm raised or local... That's gotta be a pain in the butt...

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Nov 03, 2021, 09:03 AM »
While NH doesn't, some states require you keep the dated receipt for live bait fish to prove it's farm raised or local... That's gotta be a pain in the butt...

Thats like in NY..   Keeping your receipt is no problem..
The problem is its only good for 10 days. After that your minnows are no good..  Your supposed to dump them on land...
 They must be like dairy products and have an expiration date.....    ::) ::) ::)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Nov 03, 2021, 09:20 AM »
Yep, won't be long and they will have an expiration date on the belly. Lol
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 03, 2021, 09:50 AM »
[/quote
I keep my latest receipt with my license, when I buy new bait, I toss the old receipt and replace it with the new one... I've never. Been asked for one yet..

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 03, 2021, 09:57 AM »
[/quote
I keep my latest receipt with my license, when I buy new bait, I toss the old receipt and replace it with the new one... I've never. Been asked for one yet..

Ain't nobody handing Roc a ticket lol... You got your tank up and running yet? I'm still tossing ideas around in my head for this year.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 03, 2021, 10:25 AM »
You'll be fine bringing them in from Mass just hide them under guns and Marijuana they'll never look there!!  :woot: :woot:
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2021, 11:51 AM »
Ain't nobody handing Roc a ticket lol... You got your tank up and running yet? I'm still tossing ideas around in my head for this year.

Tanks running and the water has been conditioned and medicated, but It has no prisoners', the chiller is not on yet... it will cool it down to 40 over night when I flip the switch.. maybe after thanksgiving I'll take a ride over the boarder and get some bait...I'm in no rush, most of the early trips are for bow's or brookies… salmon eggs ,meal worms and  European crawlers will get me bye..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline BHardy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 03, 2021, 10:25 PM »
7 dollars worth of ground wire, some zip ties and a bag of dog food.  Cheapest shiners you’ll find….guaranteed!!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2021, 08:10 PM »
7 dollars worth of ground wire, some zip ties and a bag of dog food.  Cheapest shiners you’ll find….guaranteed!!

one spot that i have had great luck at for a few years is totally void of any activity. i usually release anything over 3 1/2". I can usually catch brown bullhead and stunted sunfish. I'm wondering if maybe the bullheads devastated the population. it's a tiny pond on private property. Another spot that i have done well over the years, the activity there has drastically decreased as well. I could usually catch a couple of dz each trip. this year, 4 trips has yielded 32 shiners.
I only catch them from Oct to Nov couple times per week. I guess this year, I'll be buying them from the bait shop

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.