Author Topic: Skid shack trailering question  (Read 2384 times)

Offline Phil Kahnke

• IceShanty Rookie
Skid shack trailering question
« on: Aug 28, 2021, 03:02 PM »
Hey guys - looking for a little feedback from people who have had similar setups to this image posted here.  I want a skid shack for mobility on the ice and ease of pulling behind an ATV.  I’m planning on building or buying an aluminum 6.5x8 shack and would like to be able to use a trailer setup such as shown. 
I have some ideas as to how loading would go but looking for any feedback as to whether or not it’s worth going this route.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Skid shack trailering question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2021, 03:57 PM »
Put an electric winch on the front of trailer and pull the shack on with that and use the atv to pull it off..,      ;)
 Welcome to the site..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2021, 07:54 AM »
That looks like a slick setup for a small shack.  I would think you would need to modify the standard ramp when pulling the shack up so it does not tear up the plastic/uhmw on your skids.  Like Raquettedacker said, you would for sure want a winch to pull it up, to save money you could even rig up a pulley system on the trailer and utilize the winch on your 4-wheeler if you have one.  I would also recommend a rope, rather than cable winch if you have to buy one, the extra cost is money well spent.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2021, 08:46 AM »
Put an electric winch on the front of trailer and pull the shack on with that and use the atv to pull it off..,      ;)
 Welcome to the site..

Make the winch set up removable/transferable to your ATV .

Adding a hitch set up on front and back of the shelter/shack . Also adding some recessed D-Ring Anchors ..some ratchet straps.

If the trailer tilts that would be the cats meow .  Also need a place to store the ramps in/on your shack after unloading ...I can see someone walking away with them if left with the trailer unattended. Maybe incorporate the ramps in some sort of way as to make them dual purpose.. steps..or at least a platform to knock the snow/ice off your boots when on ice .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline T-Hawker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2021, 03:52 PM »
My first preference would be to have a trailer long enough to pull the atv and shack right on and leave them connected.  Second best is the option mentioned about front winch on trailer.  Using a winch on ATV even w a pulley could be tough since (especially in an icy parking lot) atv could slide forward when winching instead of shack going up the ramp.
Seasoned deer hunter, greenhorn fisherdude.

Offline krispcritter

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2021, 07:13 AM »
Using a winch on ATV even w a pulley could be tough since (especially in an icy parking lot) atv could slide forward when winching instead of shack going up the ramp.
Be funny to watch.
To make a small fortune in business start with a Large one.,

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2021, 08:42 PM »
I've been waiting for the metal shop in town to restock the tubular steel I need to weld up a removable frame for a winch I can mount to the front of my truck box. it wouldn't take much to run the power from the light assembly or the trailer light socket. That way I could use it for loading things too heavy to push up the ramp & into the bed & remove it when needed.

Offline Walted

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2021, 10:14 PM »
I have a similar setup but my shack is a slide in camper on skids. Pulls behind the 4wheeler easy enough and I load/unload with camper jacks.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2021, 06:18 AM »
I've been waiting for the metal shop in town to restock the tubular steel I need to weld up a removable frame for a winch I can mount to the front of my truck box. it wouldn't take much to run the power from the light assembly or the trailer light socket. That way I could use it for loading things too heavy to push up the ramp & into the bed & remove it when needed.

Jon, you may want to consider running a heavy gauge wire directly to the battery as a power source, I think you would be disappointed with the results of trying to run your winch off of standard light wiring.  You can install a separate plug and socket to make it convenient to connect/disconnect.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 26, 2021, 07:37 AM »
Jon, you may want to consider running a heavy gauge wire directly to the battery as a power source, I think you would be disappointed with the results of trying to run your winch off of standard light wiring.  You can install a separate plug and socket to make it convenient to connect/disconnect.

Agreed, you'll fry the tail light wiring before you even get tension on the winch cable...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2021, 07:52 PM »
Agreed, you'll fry the tail light wiring before you even get tension on the winch cable...

Thanks for the heads up guys ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.