Author Topic: Temperature Ratings for Boots  (Read 6965 times)

Offline seaocean

• IceShanty Rookie
Temperature Ratings for Boots
« on: Jul 20, 2021, 03:12 PM »
I was initially considering the Baffin Borealis which are rated to -20F as it would double up as my go to boots for snowshoeing/winter backpacking, but then when I try to cross check with this forum's common recommendations (Titans and Impact), I notice that the major difference in insulation (-148F vs Borealis -20F).

Will I be fine with the Borealis?  I never plan to venture out at -10, much less -20 wind chill included.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
Re: Temperature Ratings for Boots
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20, 2021, 09:35 PM »
 Seaocean while you are actively moving when snowshoeing/winter backpacking you do not need a boot with a high below zero temperature rating until maybe you stop and have camp set up as our body's generate heat when active. Once you have walked to your ice fishing location you can be relatively stationary for long periods of time so the need for a higher below zero temperature rated boot. Many factors play into this your fitness level, how well the boot lining and your sock system (liner and outer sock) wick move moisture to the out side or top of boots to be evaporated,etc. . I reside in South Eastern New York and rarely fish in temperatures of minus 10 or colder including the wind chill my footwear is either a pair of Muck Artic Pro boots (minus 60 rating ) or Cabelas pac boots rated to minus 100. Give the Baffin Borealis a try on a couple ice fishing trips and see how you feet feel they may work for you or you will find a warmer boot is needed to be comfortable while ice fishing. Sorry I can not give you a more definitive answer.
Steve

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 21, 2021, 05:33 AM »
Many factors play into this your fitness level, how well the boot lining and your sock system (liner and outer sock) wick move moisture to the out side or top of boots to be evaporated,etc.

Right on the nose there 100% Also completely correct in a lot of it depending on your weather and how much you're moving.

I have really bad feet (and hands) from severe frostbite back in 2002, so they are cold all the time, even in the summer. I could have my toes stuck in a toaster and they'd still be cold  ::)

No sense in me getting huge clunkers to still have cold feet, so I just use my regular Itasca winter boots to fish. It also just isn't that cold here... we rarely see temps below -10, and even that is maybe only once or twice a year.

If I was still living somewhere colder, I would probably invest in some heavier boots just to prevent another round of frostbite, though, even though they wouldn't help my feet feel any warmer. Having cold feet is unpleasant, but frostbite is 1000x worse.

Also, in ice fishing, a lot of it depends on the soles. You can have all the insulation in the world,  but your feet are going to get cold if the soles are too thin or poorly designed.

Same as mr.clean... not really specifics, but just things to keep in mind.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jul 21, 2021, 08:02 AM »
I don't think there is any sort of standard in how the boots are rated.

I have three pairs of rubber boots, all rated -40f and they are all very different feeling as far as warmth goes. One of the boots I wouldn't even wear out onto the ice unless it was one of those warmer days that a shelter isn't needed and I wasn't going to be out long. That pair is great for shoveling or snowblowing though.

The other two pairs I have are Striker and Sub Zeros. I put one on each foot, same socks, and in about 5 minutes can tell the Sub Zeros are much warmer feeling.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Jul 21, 2021, 08:11 AM »
Those ratings are a crock, IMO. Who rates them, and how?  The company takes a wild guess at it, as no standardized rating system that I'm aware of.
I have a couple different pairs I wear with the same wool socks; one is rated at -20, and my feet are always toasty in 'em. Have a pair of Kamiks that are rated -40, and they're junk. My feet are freezin' in an hour of wearing 'em.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2021, 08:46 AM »
I take the ratings and cut those in at least half.so a -60 boot would be -30 if your lucky.only boots i think are rated close to true are mickeys and bunny boots.muck arctic pros rated to -60 is a crock.mine cracked at 10f.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2021, 12:30 PM »
I have snowmobile boots that are rated for 100 below, 1,000 gram thinsulate insulated boots and 2,000 gram thinsulate insulated boots. My feet will get cold in any of them. What matters most for me is to have some kind of barrier between my boots and the ice. I use rubber anti-fatigue mats for this. Walking around occasionally helps them stay warm also.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline seaocean

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22, 2021, 09:34 AM »
Thanks for the advice/comments everyone.  Was initially leaning toward the Borealis and pair it up with a zlite foam pad when stationery, but then I chickened out when I saw a pair of brand new Impacts for $125.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jul 22, 2021, 10:01 AM »
Best advice/tips ...go up a size in your boot ...more wiggle room a compressed foot means no circulation...  anti perspirant spray ..sock liner an a wool sock. If the boots liner is removable ..take them out an wear them like slippers for a day or three ..it will help with conforming to your feet.

chart below will show you size in inches ..very little difference/measurement between sizes as they go up ...but it does make a difference to have room in your boot

https://www.zappos.com/c/measure-your-shoe-size
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 24, 2021, 01:30 PM »
Seaocean happy to see so many responses to your question on boot temperature ratings given the time of year and lower overall activity level currently on this website. just a word of caution for you and others who see/read this thread I remember someone posting here on Ice Shanty about a possible link between the Aluminum compound used in some anti-perspirants/deodorants and certain health problems such as Dementia. There maybe some truth to this as the last time I purchased my chosen brand noticed it now states on the packaging the product is Aluminum free so might be wise to do some research and talk with your doctors.

Also a belated welcome to Ice Shnty.com enjoy the website plenty of information and opinions to be found among the topics/pages . may you be happy with the Baffin Impacts.

Steve

Offline JIGMAN21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jul 27, 2021, 10:52 AM »
cold feet ?   jockeys 

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jul 27, 2021, 01:06 PM »
cold feet ?   jockeys
^^^^^
“?”
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Jul 27, 2021, 01:17 PM »

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Jul 27, 2021, 02:28 PM »
No they make merino wool socks ..news to me...75% wool

https://www.jockey.com/catalog/product/jockey-mens-made-in-america-medium-merino-wool-hiking-crew-sock

That's good. I thought he meant wrap yer feet in yer undies.  :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.