Author Topic: Last day on the ice....Season wrapup  (Read 2284 times)

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
Last day on the ice....Season wrapup
« on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:25 PM »
Well, it was bittersweet today. Sad, but i got in one more trip on the big lake. It was a beautiful day(although breezy), not a soul in sight, and still had 18" of ice. Was able to stick one more bow around 3lbs to take me out for the season.
Really good season in some aspects and weird in others. The wind seemed to be relentless this year, more tough days with wind than any in recent years, which tends to limit options sometimes. Don't know if it's just me, but The fish seemed to be hard to pattern this year. They just weren't where they have historically been, or just not as active. And that's fine, just had to switch things up a bit. Was able to explore a few new spots. No real banner numbers this year but some hefty fish in both warm water and coldwater species, which was great to see.
I think the best part of the whole season was the incredible turn my son made in his ability, skill and motivation as an ice fisherman in this particular season. It's amazing to watch and makes me a proud dad. All the years of assisting and spending most all my time untangling knots finally paid off. He completely tends his own lines, with his own new traps(besides maybe taking the hook out of a monster slime dart that has it down to his ass...lol). He beat his old man almost every time out this year and I love it. Cool to watch him get his PB bucket mouth 6.6lbs., all on his own, among many others around the 6 lb mark.
So here's to another season walking on water. Although I'm much of a lone wolf, I've enjoyed some great company both on the ice and on this site. Thanks for all the banter, laughter, and sharing your pics and stories.
And when one season ends, the other has already started. Got all the gear put away this evening. I'll be scouting for turkey season starting tomorrow, our weekly tactical shooting competitions have already begun for the year, I'll be getting the rods ready soon, and I've already had the Harley out for a few rides. Enjoy your summer everyone.....till we meet again
I haven't really posted much in the past month so here's a few....

- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Last day on the ice....Season wrapup
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Nice summary, agree  on all you said I think the wind  because  it means changing weather, I feel it kept them constly moving,thus leading to the pattern difficulty, I made the same observations, great  to see  your son " come of age", I know I'm getting  old  when I see all these youngsters  getting  big and enjoying the  outdoors..it wasn't all that long ago, I recall them taking their first trips.
Good luck with the turkeys,hope to catch up with you this summer.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2021, 04:55 AM »
Looks like a great season to me! I got the 3 Turkey guns out yesterday and cleaned them, out fiber optics on, and the chokes back in. Made sure I had ammo, I do. Good luck to those who wait in that this year lol. After work today I’ll start getting ice gear away and getting the Salmon, Striper, Flounder gear ready.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2021, 06:08 AM »
Looks like a great season for sure, and congrats to your son... also agree on the winds...good luck turkey hunting there are tons of them out there .....I nailed a hen yesterday flying across the road....luckily no damage was done to my truck she flew off with about 10 others.  I stopped walked back but didn’t see the flock .....so hopefully she made it

I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:39 AM »
Great post. Way to get in one last trip. I knew you would get on. 18 inches is enough to make any man proud.  Surprised there is still that much. Glad you scored one more bow. Sounds like your son is really becoming a great fisherman.  I imagine you're proud to have seen him develop. That's great to hear. You are lucky to share that with him. Good luck with the Turkeys.
Salmonemia

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:17 AM »
You're right about that wind this year! The weekdays were decent, and then when fishing days came, boom!

Looks like a pretty good season to me. Hopefully next year will bring more favorable conditions and earlier ice. It sounds like your boy is going to be a great fishing partner for years to come. Good luck to both of you on the open water.

The last time I was out, I could hear bikes riding by. I always chuckle as the seasons collide. Here's to a great riding season for ya.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2021, 09:27 AM »
Windy for sure Jay..I wrapped it up yesterday as well ..great season but no real giants for us ..have a great spring ..see you somewhere
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Looks like a great season - especially sharing it with your son and seeing him succeed.

Glad to hear about the 18 - hoping maybe just maybe I can make one more trip before the 1st.

Enjoy the spring - and all the new life and opportunities in brings with it.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2021, 02:51 PM »
Looks like a great season to me! I got the 3 Turkey guns out yesterday and cleaned them, out fiber optics on, and the chokes back in. Made sure I had ammo, I do. Good luck to those who wait in that this year lol. After work today I’ll start getting ice gear away and getting the Salmon, Striper, Flounder gear ready.
Don't forget about the Walleye rod - need to make that happen this year too (as do I).

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2021, 03:19 PM »
Don't forget about the Walleye rod - need to make that happen this year too (as do I).

You couldn’t be more right!

Let’s set something up, we can find them. I just need a day off
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:20 PM »
I definitely plan to get on the Connecticut river for them this year - hopefully in the spring...  either bank, kayak, or jon boat... whatever works.   Would be happy to set something up - if the days line up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:25 AM »
Sounds like a good last trip, some nice pics as well... Good luck to your boy getting that 8 pounder you'll have to mount next season, he ain't gonna forget that promise lol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2021, 08:43 AM »
Great last trip those are some pigs keep up the good work congrats!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2021, 06:56 PM »
   Looks like you and your son had a great season. I couldn't help noticing that your son appears to have grown to your shoulder height, boy they grow quick.
John

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.