Author Topic: Flip over cold air problem solved  (Read 1044 times)

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
Flip over cold air problem solved
« on: Feb 03, 2021, 07:19 PM »
Having owned a few flip over shelters, I have always had a problem with cold air blowing in between the skirt and the side of the tub. I have put snow on the skirt, laid spud bar on skirt etc.. Never happy with the results. I came up with a way that works for me. I put a 1/4 inch eye bolt through the skirt,down near the ice,and right in front of the tub. Eye bolt on either side with eyes inside. Then I put a light bungee from eye to eye when ready to fish. It pulls the skirt in tight to sides of tub.  Works great and no more cold air. I melted a small hole through the skirt with a heated nail for the hole for the eye bolt. I put fender washers on both sides of material and used a locking nut. Works great and takes 2 seconds to put on or take off bungee. This keeps the old man warm.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
Re: Flip over cold air problem solved
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Nice. Even though I have a definite love hate relationship with bungee chords!

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2021, 09:30 AM »
Nice. Even though I have a definite love hate relationship with bungee chords!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 05, 2021, 04:44 AM »
Thought about using tarp clips on ice with minimal snow ..that problem has since resolved itself several days ago wit 20 plus inches of snow

sure there are other versions .

https://www.harborfreight.com/multipurpose-tarp-clips-4-pc-63067.html
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 05, 2021, 11:24 AM »
I sewed a couple of earth magnets to the skirt and mounted a small iron plate on my tub.Just pull the sides in until the magnets catch.

Offline youngster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • EAT OR BE EATEN
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2021, 09:34 AM »
2 awesome ideas   thanks,, also had that problem on and off,,, simple ideas that i never thought about,  gotta love the ingenuity of ice fisherman...   goodluck stay safe to both of ya,s
youngster

Offline whitetail

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2021, 12:33 PM »
You are welcome Youngster. Us old guys are "Know it alls" . I know that because 60 years ago my Mother said to me " You are just a know it all " God bless you Mom.

Offline Snitch#8

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • As Always, Take Care and Stay Safe!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2021, 01:01 PM »
Shappell flipovers have a four inch long piece of velcro on the flap and and the piece the velcro hooks, glue onto the front of the shanty.  That works pretty good for me.  You just pull the flap in and attached the velcro.  It closes the hole between the end of the flap and the shanty pretty good.  Obviously, you still have a gap along the flap when the wind blows.  For this, I still use a little snow or ice shavings from augering the holes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.