Author Topic: Cabela's Deluxe do-it-yourself shelter  (Read 19854 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Cabela's Deluxe do-it-yourself shelter
« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2003, 06:51 AM »
Scott,

Have you tried to pull the sled with the 2x2 runners?  I used 2x4 and attached steel conduit to the bottom so it will slide easier.  I have not tried it on the ice yet, but am debating on putting on a set of 2x2's instead.  This thing is really heavy since I have 2x4 on both sides.  We also have about 8 inches of snow on the ground here and with the extra weight I may not be pulling this thing anywhere.  
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Scott_Wright

« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2003, 12:01 PM »
Not yet, Perch hunter. We will take it out Sat am. What we did do with it was to make two handles on the pull rope. we will pull it together. I'll hold one handle in my left hand, he'll hold the other handle in his right hand... seemed to work in the yard, last night..Keep in touch.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2003, 07:41 PM »
Has anyone seen where to stilll get a Cabela's cheap shack? I saw them for 89 bucks, but I don't see them listed on the website anymore. Did I just miss the boat? Or is there another place I can look. E-mail me with any ideas. I didn't mean to be so slow.

Thanks, cityfishin >:( >:( >:(

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2003, 04:29 AM »
Usually when they take them off the web-site they are out of stock.  Try calling the 800 number and tell them that you saw the shelter for 79.00 bucks and sometimes they will honor the price even if they have to back order.

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #34 on: Feb 28, 2003, 07:26 AM »
Thanks, Perchhunter. I called and they are sold out for the season and they cannot back order. I would just have to wait until next season to order. I probably won't be 79.99 then. Do you like yours? Is the fabric like a tent fabric (rip-stop nylon)? Or is it a canvas kind of material? I think I'm going to get a fish trap on clearance. It's more than I want to spend, but it's probably worth it in the long run.

-cityfishin

Offline FFFarmer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish On!
« Reply #35 on: Mar 05, 2003, 03:38 AM »
My wife bought me one of these shacks a couple of years back. Reading through I see that most everyone that has one is happy with it. When I built mine I varied from the instructions a bit. Instead of 2X2 around the edges I used 2X4 (1 1/2 X 3 1/2 actual size), this allowed me enough space when folded to store my Coleman stove, LP tanks, folding chairs and table, and poles inside. This also changed the floor dimensions to 7" X 5' center and 2- 32 1/2" X 5'. I haul it on a JetSled XL that I have laid 2- 2X4's across with eye hooks to hold it down.
Brace your feet! Them flags gonna start poppin any minute!!

crappie_hunter

« Reply #36 on: Mar 18, 2003, 06:54 AM »
i have one and the windows cracked when i folded it up in the cold i am going to buy something else

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
Re:Cabela's Deluxe do-it-yourself shelter
« Reply #37 on: Oct 17, 2003, 02:53 PM »
just bought one last night,they're on sale for $79.99, cant wait to get it and put it together.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Oct 17, 2003, 03:59 PM »
Red Eyes,
You will love it.  I used mine all last winter.  It is roomy, easy to assemble and drags nicely on the top of my jet sled.  One tip..........be sure to buy some ice screws as once it is up, it can easily blow across the lake!   :)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Oct 18, 2003, 12:32 PM »
i think ill take that in mind, i sure dont want to be trolling

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #40 on: Oct 19, 2003, 07:31 PM »
  Baginwal, I also have the cabela's shanty but, I never had any problems with it blowing across the ice. I think it may have something to do with all the stuff I put in it???
 The only thing I don't like about this shanty is the fact that it is heavy!!! The fact that I bring enough gear for 3 people and I am the only one who does all the work, I need a break somewhere. I'll stop whining now....
  I am looking for a lighter option. I think I may leave the other two at home and go by myself more. ;D and meet up with you guys out on the ice. Now that is a good idea!!!!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Oct 20, 2003, 11:55 AM »
Red Eyes,

I bought one last year at the same price, but have yet to use it.  Once I built the platform i attached 2x4 runners on the bottom, but after dragging it around the yard I realized it may be too heavy.  I took off the runners and I bought a Jet Sled, I needed a big sled anyways, so I will try and put the shelter on top of the sled to see how it pulls.  This shelter is alot bigger than it looks in the picture.  I also put marine carpet on the inside, I though maybe the platform would get slippy when wet.  Good Luck.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #42 on: Oct 20, 2003, 04:32 PM »
thats what i was thinking of doing, adding marine carpet,after water proofing/sealing the plywood.what thickness of plywood do u use

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Oct 21, 2003, 06:58 AM »
Could anyone tell me that has made this item - what it weighs(and what size plywood did you use?) Also, do you think the 150 denier polyester fabric(that this has) is better than 210 denier nylon(like some frabill's)if you've seen both? Thanks.
Ken                                          

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Oct 21, 2003, 07:03 AM »
Red eyes,  I only used 1/2 inch to keep the weight down.  i also seen guys use 1/4 inch and then frame the bottom with 1X2 then attach foam insulation between the frame for strength and to keep the weight down.  

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 21, 2003, 03:53 PM »
Red Eyes,
I used 3/4 inch CDX plywood.  I place the shanty on top of my jet sled (loaded with all my gear including gas auger).  It pulls pretty easily on snow and ice.

Bob G.........I would be glad to meet up and fish together sometime.  I usually fish Sandy Pond.

Walt

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
« Reply #46 on: Oct 21, 2003, 04:13 PM »
  Baginwal, where is sandy pond? I don't believe I've even heard of it. ???
 I was just thinking, what about a iceshanty get together here in Pa? preferably here in western pa. but, I am not opposed(?) to a road trip. What does anybody think?

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: Oct 23, 2003, 02:11 PM »
I RECIEVED THE SHANTY YESTERDAY, ALL I NEED IS PLYWOOD AND SOME HARDWARE,THE INSTRUCTIONS LOOK A LITTLE CONFUSING, WAS IT EASY TO PUT TOGETHER?

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Oct 23, 2003, 02:19 PM »
Red Eyes,
Congrats!  You will love it.  As I mentioned earlier, it pulls real nice on top of my jet sled (for a picture see the photo section of this forum and look for the title "most economical atv yet").  Yes, it was fairly easy to put together.  I also found the directions confusing, but most of it makes sense.  One suggestion:  My friend cut his ice holes in the shanty so that they would accomodate a 5 gallon bucket.  This way, when he pulls his shanty on top of his sled, the buckets sit firmly in the holes of the collapsed shanty and also add weight to minimize any potential tip overs.      :)

Good luck

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Oct 23, 2003, 02:37 PM »
Red Eyes,

The most confusing part of the instructions was the width of the middle section.  I believe it should be 4 inches wide and the directions said something like 1 inch wide.  Just cut your two end pieces then cut the middle piece last.  

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #50 on: Nov 09, 2003, 12:10 PM »
Finished the shanty friday, cant wait to get it on the ice. i set it up in the garage and thats very roomy for 2 ppl.I used 15/32 plywood, instead of the 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" peices i used 1 x 3"s , but on the 60" ones i doubled them.it turned out great. next year ill probally add a marine type carpet.

puckster

« Reply #51 on: Nov 16, 2003, 08:07 PM »
I ordered the Cabelas Deluxe Ice Fishing Tent Kit today.

In the ad they are somewhat vague. Does the cover include a license holder?

Thanks!!!

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #52 on: Nov 17, 2003, 02:46 PM »
no, but i think it would be very easy to add one on

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #53 on: Nov 25, 2003, 08:06 PM »
I've had this shanty for three years . Just went out and measured the middle board that the hinges attach to .
It is 4 " wide . If i were building mine again i would make sure i painted it before i assembled it. I've had no problems with my window's cracking . Instead of just cutting four holes in the floor i cut every corner in an oblong shape .
That way when i get three people in it we can all fish comfortably. the holes measure 27" x 8" .   it also lightened it up considerably. i used 1/2 " plywood for the floor , and
2" x 2" s for the edges . i have never had any problem with it blowing away . but it did take a beating last winter in a nasty wind storm because i left it on the lake and went home . now i at least colapse it before leaving. if
it freezes to the ice . i just take my spud bar and pop it loose. i built a sled out of cross country skiis that works very well . if i could figure out how to post pictures on here i would gladly share them . i also drilled two holes
just inside one of the doors and attach a rope to it for
easy pulling across the lake when there's not much snow on it. on windy days when i'm pulling it i just leave the doors open and the wind blows right thru it. ok i'll
quit blabbing now ......have a good one.

Mr.G

« Reply #54 on: Dec 09, 2003, 08:38 AM »
Had mine for almost a year now. I used 5/8" treated plywood which upped the price a little.  Cut my holes in the corners for ease of fishin 2 holes by myself.  As far as blowin away...I've been in a pretty decent wsind with it by myself and hvent blown away...but I'm 6'3" 230# and I usually put my propane tanke with my Mr. Heater attached into a hole that has been partially drilled in one of the corners..simple and quick way to kind of insure that the thing wont blow away.  Also, I usually throw some of the slush from drilling my holes around the thing to freeze it down for the day and then pull it up after I'm done fishing.  (this is also a reason I got the treated plywood)  Havent had a problem with the windows other than they fog/freeze up when I'm running my heater.   Has anyone else had a problem with the inside building up large amounts of condensation when running a Mr. Heater type heater or is it just me?

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #55 on: Dec 11, 2003, 02:53 PM »
i am thinking if getting one for 119.99 plus shipping would u recamend getting it if u go ice fishing by your self most of the time?          

what are the hinges for ?

what size holes would u recamend putting in it for an 8inch aunger?

and how heavey is it ?

thanks much Ben

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 14, 2003, 06:27 AM »
mr g
it's not just you .i get condensation real bad. usually take
a towel to wipe it dry every now and then . ( or wear a raincoat ) water gets mighty cold dripping down your  neck.

benny
the hinges are for folding your shanty .
the bigger you make your holes, the lighter the shanty.
i would recomend with an 8" auger to go at least 10"
i've never weighed mine but i would say it's around 50lbs.

Offline whitebassbenny

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ice fishing rules, let there be ice !!!!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 17, 2003, 08:16 PM »
i am under the age of 16 is the license holder for the shanty or for people over the age of 16???  

thanks ben

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 27, 2003, 06:30 AM »
hey ben
the license holder is for those states that have to have a shanty license . strange huh ? shhhhhhhhhh before they think of it in your state .            
                                 john :'(

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 27, 2003, 10:05 AM »
thats not the only reason the liscence holder is there for. In Wisconsin and i believe Minnesota as well, you are REQUIRED to have aither your name and address OR your driver's liscence number on your shanty whenever its on the ice.

Melbs     :'(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.