The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tongue River Reservoir  (Read 14762 times)

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tongue River Reservoir
« Reply #30 on: Dec 25, 2008, 01:46 PM »
To each his own fellas,but I'd be careful about the mention of selling minnows unless you have a permit . I'd be all for it but some I think frown on it. ::)  Good luck fishing. Its been a little slow. Crappie are hitt'n pretty good but the wally's have been pretty tight lipped.

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 25, 2008, 09:00 PM »
Don't mind shareing whatever someone needs. Tight lipped walleye, ouch! Whats the Walleye fishing like on reservoir this time of year? We'll  be there a few days and then i'll maybe hang after my partners leave and fish a extra day or two. If it is not to cold as I will have to sleep in truck. Well maybe, or in shack. Hear of any Pike being caught? Later, and go get em'.
Live Free Or Die.

Bullelk34

« Reply #32 on: Dec 26, 2008, 05:52 AM »
DJ-

We always did best for walleyes at night, the first 1-2 hours after dark were best. If you haven't left already make sure you bring a spud bar to free-up your tip-ups in the morning.
Good luck, hope you get some good ones-

Carl

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:47 AM »
if you guys from helena havent left yet be very careful driving especially between lodge grass and dayton there is a web cam of aberdeen hill on the state highway dept web cam site

Offline pronghorn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:04 AM »
Speared one northern yesterday, just under 13  lbs. Great day on the ice.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Dec 29, 2008, 02:25 PM »
how much ice pronghorn? were you on the north or south end? thanks  RR

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:22 PM »
I was on TRR Sunday at Sand pt., there was 9 to 10 inches of ice anywhere we drilled. marked tons of fish but the catching was fairly slow. we picked up a few crappie and that's all. We did not have  minnows either so the could be a difference. Fished from 1100 am until 815 last night.

Keep calm and return fire...

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #37 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:27 PM »
I was on TRR Sunday at Sand pt., there was 9 to 10 inches of ice anywhere we drilled. marked tons of fish but the catching was fairly slow. we picked up a few crappie and that's all. We did not have  minnows either so the could be a difference. Fished from 1100 am until 815 last night.

You don't need no stinkin minnows

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:56 PM »
maybe just need a guide!! did you go this weekend?

Keep calm and return fire...

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Dec 29, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Gut too much snow in Lander

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:18 PM »
Got back from TRR tonight and wish I was still there fishing. Did really well after we moved out of our spot we started in and caught the heck out of the crappie. I'll post pics if I can figure it out. One of the group caught 14# pike and a couple smaller ones around 5#. Crappie were biteing on small jigs tipped with some maggots in around 14 fow. We also caught crappie in 27 fow but the action was slower. Well it was nice to meet you REZEYE and thank you for and top secret brew and awsome salsa. Later.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #41 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:10 AM »
I was North of Sand Point and Had 8" of Ice. My Wheeler stayed on top. There was also a couple guys riding all over the north end. You should have Plenty.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:19 AM »
hey da jigger your welcome and glad you guys did better I also did better at another spot (different pond all together) later sunday at least I got 5 flags and landed two hammer handles in about 1 hr  was pretty fun  anyway good meeting you guys and glad to see you made it home 

Hey whatpole as for the ice its pretty good the thinnest i drilled was 10 inches at rattlesnake point and the thickest was south of there about mile at 18inches also plenty of guys were out on the lake with 4 wheelers going across the lake and saw some headed farther south reports of thinner ice near the dam came in but the ice is generally good but as always watch the weather and gas pockets ??? ??? which I never noticed any   the Ice had about 4inches of snow on top over the whole lake I will try to make it when you guys come down 

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Dec 30, 2008, 10:03 PM »
thanks for the report rezeye..I'm headed to the north end tomorow am. hope the wheeler doesnt go through. :o

Offline Buffalo914

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2009, 06:22 AM »
Hi I'm fairly new to Northern Wyoming and looking for a good place to Ice Fish, I'm iterested in Tongue River Reservoir. What's the deal with these gas pockets? Is the ice punky or thin above them? How do I identify them? I would appreciate any information.

Thank You, Tim

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #45 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:06 PM »
Buffalo914,
I Fished TRR for Years and have never found a Gas pocket that was very far from shore, most that i found were up by the Cliffs/ North End. I was up there last weekend and noticed that there were open areas against the Cliffs by Sand point. It was -18 and the pocket was open. I'm sure there is a chance that they will freeze over but i wouldn't bet on it. I try to stay away from the edges and watch for Steam, Slush and Open Water. Stick to the trails and pay attention.  :tipup:

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:09 PM »
I'll be out there Sunday morning from 6-noon

Offline Buffalo914

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Hey thanks for the info, I kind of figured the ice would be thin or bad around those stinking pockets. I was out there New Years checking it out, there was a little open water along the shore just south of that island towards the north end. I dont have a four wheeler, but I will bring a bar to poke around ahead of me. I work weekends so if anyone would like to meet and chat on Tuesday morning I'll reward you with some cold beverages of your choice ::). The guy at Rocky Mountain Discount Sports here in Sheridan told me that the Marina is only open for a while on Saturday mornings to sell minnows. Is this true? Where else can I get them? Hardin?

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2009, 10:46 AM »
:woot:
Will be heading up there the weekend of Jan. 9th. How many 4 wheelers were out, as I need to go from the marina to the bay with the cabins (just checking to make sure it will be safe to do so). Gamedog and I will be there, and have a few brews handy in trade for fishing tips. ;)2
first tip: while fishing on ice dont run with scissors :roflmao: :roflmao: :whistle:
I get the first beverage :flex: :woot: :woot:

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:38 PM »
Iced about 30-40 Crappies over the weekend there with the biggest being 13.5.     

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:33 AM »
Had a couple nice pike to the hole but the dang mono is not tough enough fer the toothy critters. Iced a dozen crappie but no walleye

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 05, 2009, 06:51 PM »
yep jiggy they gotta have a montana sticker or a license plate. The warden gave me a courtesy warning yesterday. My bad with the new year and all. ;)

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:02 AM »
Anybody know if the toilets are open at rattlesnake point? How much snow in the campground?

They never are. Looks like there might be a little more snow when you arrive. I would still say less than a foot.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:16 AM »
Did you get that high security clearance from the war dept? :callcops:

I do believe we are a go there Jiggy. Looks like the Mooter and Jiggy show is on the road again. Look out the Posse is invading Montana

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 06, 2009, 11:25 AM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

IT WOULDN'T BE RIGHT WITH OUT A SECOND HELPING OF WHITEFISH BEFORE DINNER

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:49 AM »
Nice fish fry material from TRR

Offline cutbow_07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 07, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Nicely done on that absolutely scrumptious meal  ;D

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #57 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Likely just melted some snow on top of the ice.  I was just North of TRR today, and it was actually fairly cold until around midday (very icy this morning), when it got a bit sloppy with a bit of rain.  Supposed to freeze hard tonight, so with the short days and low sun angle, I doubt the ice deteroriated at all.  Also, I've camped at TRR in the winter many times, and that big chunk of ice in that small valley will definitely cause a colder microclimate in that area.

I'd be more concerned with the roads.  With the thawing in the day, making the roads wet, then freezing at night, it has been very icy lately.  I actually came to a stop today and starting sliding sideways in my work truck.  A word to the wise is sufficient.

Heading down there this weekend.  I'll post later on conditions, unless its really good, in which case, I'm gone.

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:56 AM »
hey guys good luck and jigmaster if you drive by huntley montana "The minnow bucket" bait shop can fix ya up

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:44 AM »
maggotts for sure  dont know about the waxies  If they have any leeches I would try some of those and remember large minnows equals large pike  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.