The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Anybody been out scouting for ice?  (Read 4786 times)

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anybody been out scouting for ice?
« on: Nov 24, 2007, 02:41 PM »
Anybody been out scouting for ice?  Any word let us know. Ill be out there on three inches if i have to i dont care!

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
Re: Anybody been out scouting for ice?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2007, 12:12 PM »
I live in PA now but have good friend near Helena.  Talked to him last night and he said that ice was forming on some of the smaller lakes in the area.  He hadn't found any safe ice yet.

I miss those days of fishing the Causeway and Canyon Ferry.

Good luck all.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:48 AM »
After the recent cold snap, went down to McWi******s Slough just south of my place.  Anywhere from 3+" to 1" not completely froze yet but its happening...

Can't wait to get out there!

Good Fishing :tipup:

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2007, 08:51 AM »
Dang Censorship control is Crapping up the name McWin i gg er.....now that is just poor programming!!!

I'll fix the pics later...

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:41 PM »
Heard from a friend that Georgetown is already froze over. He was coming back to Kalispell from Bozeman last week and decided to take the scenic route from Anaconda to Drummond. I have not made my annual pilgrimage up there yet so it may be just a story. Honestly can't wait for good ice.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2007, 07:55 PM »
Reports on the Montana Outdoor Radio Show say that people were ice fishing on Georgetown this past weekend.

Tongue River Reservoir, on the other hand, is still open.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2007, 09:47 AM »
Went out to Canyon Ferry on Sunday to do some fly fishing. Had a blast I caught two trout that were between 4-5 pounds, man they were foot ball fish. Looks like the east end of the lake down by Townsand had some ice on it. Really sad though that down by the Silos is still wide open.

Offline wallygiggn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • me and buster
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:09 AM »
you shouldn't be looking for ice anyway, you know you can't catch fish.....lol

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2007, 08:32 AM »
I talked to a guy on Tuesday; he had been up to the Helena Regulating Reservoir last weekend. He said there were six inches of ice and the perch were biting pretty good but after this warm weather I sure would not trust it.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2007, 09:31 AM »
I talked to a guy on Tuesday; he had been up to the Helena Regulating Reservoir last weekend. He said there were six inches of ice and the perch were biting pretty good but after this warm weather I sure would not trust it.

Does anyone know if the perch on the regulating resevoir are any bigger this year?  Last year there were loads of perch less than 4" long.  They should be about eatable size this year unless there were too many and growth was stunted.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Does anyone know if the perch on the regulating resevoir are any bigger this year?  Last year there were loads of perch less than 4" long.  They should be about eatable size this year unless there were too many and growth was stunted.

I am not sure but I will sure check with him when I see him again. I sure hope that he are bigger this year. The were fun to catch last year especially for kids but I would like to be able to at least eat them this year.

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2007, 10:40 AM »

Hey Walltrout I talked to the guy last night. He said that they are a little bigger this year. The biggest he caught was around 7-8 inches. Seems still to be a little small but hopefully eatable.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Hey Walltrout I talked to the guy last night. He said that they are a little bigger this year. The biggest he caught was around 7-8 inches. Seems still to be a little small but hopefully eatable.

Sounds good. Next year will be nice, but I am glad to hear they are growing.  Thanks for the info.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 07, 2007, 06:35 PM »
Went by Tongue River Reservoir today.  Its iced over on the southern end at least.

Offline PerchFan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2007, 09:03 PM »
Areas around Helena:CauseWay 4 inches Saturday
                             Helena Valley regulating reservoir 5inches
                             Canyon Ferry should be getting goood. Past three nights reached below Zero

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2007, 09:38 AM »
Here is a great report from Mike_Skoges that was posted today on http://www.icefishingchat.com/

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and just getting back to ice fishing again and here is what I have as far as ice reports around the area.

I just fished upsata lake yesterday it has 6 inches of solid ice. Caught 40 perch all fairly small around 6 inches. Fun lake to perch fish in if you have some kids that don't have a ton of interest. Easy to catch the perch and they are great eating. The fish seemed to stop biting around 1:30.

After Upsata I went to Salmon Lake, the fishing was slower but I went in the afternoon as I was at upsata in the morning. Caught 5 perch in about an hour and a half. All about 9 inches so nothing spectacular but easier to make a meal out of. I have heard from people that have been fishing salmon they have been pulling out quite a few pike as well but I haven't been fishing for them. There is about 8 inches on the north end of Salmon lake where most people have been fishing, however, the south end now has about 3 inches as well and is definitely fishable.

The rest the lakes I just know the reports and haven't fished them personally.

Georgetown - Plenty of ice, catching salmon in the morning and afternoon.

Lake Mary Ronan - Going to be spectacular fishing as soon as it gets good ice. It froze over completely 2 days ago. It should be VERY fishable this weekend. That is where I will be :)

Flathead - East bay is still not frozen at all as of yesterday. It still has waves going on it so it won't be frozen for quite some time still... Elmo bay has some big perch in it but it won't freeze for a long time if it even does freeze.

Seeley - Lake is frozen and fishable although not many people have bene fishing it lately so not a great fishing report.

Canyon Ferry- If the weather stays the way it is should be plenty fishable this weekend in parts. It is a large body of water so still be careful but you should be able to fish it this weekend.

Browns Lake - They have been catching some VERY big rainbow on Brown's lake, so if you like to eat and catch trout this is a great place to go...

As far as the rest I probably know the ice reports, so if you have any further questions feel free to ask. I just can't think of any more lakes right now. Also I am more of a perch fisherman than anything so if you want to know what they are biting on I would be plenty willing to share that as well. Have a great Holiday and Happy fishing!

Offline Riverb8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2007, 01:44 PM »
Mike_Skoges?  Who ever he is we should get him to join iceshanty.  We could use more reports like that.

The more the merrier.

Offline PerchFan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2007, 11:35 PM »
I ate them last year. Pain to gut.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.