The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: defrosting frozen fish....  (Read 522 times)

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
defrosting frozen fish....
« on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:03 PM »
in case you don't know..defrosting your white meat fish in milk is an old trick that has been around forever...I need to get out soon...seeing a few posts with fresh perch made me a little jelly....defrosted some perch from last spring from lmr for tacos tonite….sitting the frozen filets to thaw next to the wood stove in milk..never as good as fresh..but a close second....the milk takes the "fishiness" away and also can cure a little freezer burn...

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
Re: defrosting frozen fish....
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2019, 06:38 PM »
I use buttermilk! I got some pike soaking that's about to take a swim in the grease. I use buttermilk and a vinegar based hot sauce for a 24 hour chicken soak.
Cheers

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2019, 07:12 PM »
right on piltz...I never have buttermilk around..but that is the best way..if you got a cup of 2 of milk around before it goes south..use it for defrosting fish..once again..buttermilk is the best option..

Offline Piltzviller

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cruising through life one ice hole at a time...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2019, 08:32 PM »
Ha, I'm not a milk drinker so that's why I use buttermilk, I don't have milk around. I do it with chicken too. Sometimes I'll even pour some cheap vinegar hot sauce in with it to give it a kick.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2019, 12:14 PM »
I freeze most of my fish in water and it helps with the freezer burn. Catfish get frozen in buttermilk
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.