The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Big buddy heater pilot light???  (Read 34798 times)

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
Big buddy heater pilot light???
« on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:29 PM »
My buddy heater pilot won't stay lit unless I'm pushing down the knob. As soon as I release it it will go out. Gonna spray it out with air and probably clean the thermocoupler. Anyone have any other ideas I could do to get it going???

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: Big buddy heater pilot light???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:35 PM »
Might need a filter on it from the tank

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:39 PM »
Might need a filter on it from the tank

I have one that I use when using a bigger tank

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:40 PM »
could have a little moisture in the tank

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:42 PM »

did you try another tank ...
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:43 PM »
More than likely if you have a good blue fame then the thermocouple could be bad. If so it comes as a kit along with the low oxygen censor.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:44 PM »
clean the thermocouple with 0000 steel wool.

Offline skunked79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2015, 12:51 PM »
i had this happen and it was caused buy dirt, take a Q tip and clean pilot light bore with alchol.

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Disassemble and clean everything inside and out,mine needs it every other year at least.
Dont ask

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2015, 08:42 PM »
Disassemble and clean everything inside and out,mine needs it every other year at least.

This is what I'm planning.  Guess there is a small washer type thing in the pilot line that gets gummed up.  Plus cleaning thermo and spraying everything out with compressed air

Offline sra61

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:35 PM »
i had this happen and it was caused buy dirt, take a Q tip and clean pilot light bore with alchol.
I know for sure this works. I had to do it a couple of years ago on Nelson. A guy told me about it. I got it running again.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Spider webs and gunk ...just light a BBQ grill ...some on IS also mentioned a "float" in the tank getting stuck .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Chili

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2015, 12:51 PM »
Here's the instructions I copied from a post a few years ago. Think it originated from a tech at big buddy repair:

With rubbing alcohol (drug store stuff), Q-tips and a one pound can of compressed air with the long nozzle extension in hand, remove the front grid.

Take a Q-tip and tug on the cotton to make sure it will not pull off the stick. Then dip this Q-tip in alcohol.

Insert this Q-tip all the way down to the bottom of the pilot tube ....
about 2". You will be resting against the crystal face with the tiny hole that the gas goes through for the pilot flame.

(if it is too tight going in, there is too much cotton on the Q-tip, so remove some cotton, re-dip in alcohol and proceed.)

Let the Q-tip rest on the face for about 1 minute. Rotate the Q-tip to clean the crystal face. As you continue to rotate the Q-tip, pull it out to clean the tube. Insects, especially spiders, are attracted to the smell of propane and will result in a poor pilot flame from properly heating the thermocouple.

Repeat this process with a second, identically prepared Q-tip.

For best results, use a one pound can off compressed air with the long nozzle extension. Place the nozzle extension into the pilot tube. When the extension is near the bottom of the pilot orifice, pull the trigger
3-4 to blow air out through the two small holes that draw air into the pilot tube. This will blow away anything that may be interfering with the air/fuel mixture.

Replace your safety grid give your heater a try at this point and give your heater a try.

Offline Golden Trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:16 PM »
This problem will happen to you alot with this type of heater.  This is what I do, buy a long shaft Bar-B-Que style lighter, light up your pilot and turn it on.  Works everytime  :)

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2016, 10:46 PM »
Just kinda random. My big buddy heater is 6years old I believe now and I've completely submerged it in water once on accident,it fell out of the back of my razor going about 30and bounced down a dirt road andfinally came to a stop in a mud/snow berm and it still works great just like it did when it was new. Those heaters kick ass!

Offline mtmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2016, 09:05 PM »

did you try another tank ...

thanks, that did the trick

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2016, 10:15 PM »
clean the thermocouple with 0000 steel wool.

bingo!! just scrape it with the edge of the pocket knife.. to get it working again... this is cause soot built up on the sensor... for sure don't use the knife to puncture it... you will have to replace the sensor if you puncture it...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.