The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: arctic pro vs arctic sport muck????  (Read 20819 times)

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
arctic pro vs arctic sport muck????
« on: Jan 06, 2015, 05:33 PM »
any reason to spend the extra $40 for the pro vs the sport??? just bought a pair of sports..but now second guessing myself..anyone...??

Offline gened

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: arctic pro vs arctic sport muck????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:09 PM »
I have looked at these too Chris.  I believe One is rated at -60, the other at -40.  I'm finding something else to do at -20, or maybe even -10, so I would probably opt for the Sport also. Sport is a little lighter too.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 06:47 PM »
thanks gened....it seems that the sport allows a little more wiggle room than the pro...and a -40 vs -60 rating is irrevelant...the weight of the boot is also an issue....so the sport has the extra flexibility to add an insert..or a toe warmer....think I will stick with the sport....

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:03 PM »
I have both.  The Pro's are heavy and bulky.  I usually wear my Sports exclusively.  When I wear my Pro's, my feet tend to sweat a lot while I'm walking, then when I get to the spot to fish, my feet kinda get cold from the sweat. 

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2015, 07:23 PM »
thanks sage...that was the confirmation I was lookin for...

Offline SchmittyMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2015, 09:42 PM »
I have a pair of the pros and regret getting them, same issue with the sweat and the -60 claim is a load of BS.

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2015, 10:04 PM »
I love having dry feet all the way to nearly my knees!

Offline Montana89

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:10 AM »
How do yaktrax's fit the mucks? They look like they would fit snug. I have had some boots in the past that dont agree with the yaks though.

It's All Nice On Ice Alright

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2015, 09:14 AM »
I won't list ALL the boots I have tried over the last 15 years...you can have my Muck PRO's when you pry them from my cold, dead feet...only my feet will STILL be warm!!!
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline puravida

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:18 AM »
Buy a tube of aqua seal, best repair for the soft rubber when they get ripped on stumps or rocks

Offline Young Blood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:28 AM »
How do yaktrax's fit the mucks? They look like they would fit snug. I have had some boots in the past that dont agree with the yaks though.

I've got the Wetland mucks that are only rated to -20 but my yaktrax's work on them fine. They are a little snug but easy enough to get on and off. And if your sports are rated to -40 you will be fine with a thick wool sock. My feet never get cold and mine are only rated to -20. I wear them in the summer for work as well so I didn't want to go with the ones rated any lower since my feet already sweat in them in the summer (the wetlands are brown, not black which was also a reason for the choice due to using them in the summer).
Keep the Faith

Offline bigicedown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:20 PM »
My son got me a pair of Sports for Christmas. I knew I raised that boy right!

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2015, 03:33 PM »
I was about to pull the trigger on a pair of Arctic Pros but you guys might be changing my mind! With good socks my feet aren't usually all that cold so now I am leaning towards the Sports. How much lighter are they? Are either style better for walking, trudging, and hole hopping as  far as support and comfort go? Or are these boots more for sitting on a bucket? Thanks for all the advice!

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:17 PM »
The Arctic Sports are good for it all!  They are significantly lighter than the Pro's

Offline NordicJigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2015, 04:42 PM »
any reason to spend the extra $40 for the pro vs the sport??? just bought a pair of sports..but now second guessing myself..anyone...??

Arctic Sports all the way. I had Pros and switched to Sports. Definitely notice the difference by the end of the day. I don't feel like I trudged around with concrete boots on.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2015, 06:57 PM »
I wouldn't say the pro's are twice as heavy...but maybe 1 1/2 times...both have a steel toe....but I have learned that the steel toe of muck boot is not designed for kicking crap..just to save your ass if some cow steps on ya....there is a little more wiggle room in the sport vs the pro..which is good for a few reasons...you can wiggle your toes around...add an insert if you'd like..and pop a toe warmer in as well...also I think putting a yak track would be easier on the sport since its not nearly as rigid and is a little narrower up front....these are the reasons why I went with the sport over the pro...hope that helps....

Offline Firetrap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:07 PM »
Those ratings are for WHEN YOU ARE WORKING HARDEST guys.  So if you're riding wheelers, sleds, sitting or standing on ice you're not hiking up a hill to reach thst active rating.

Offline coldcreekchris

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2015, 07:18 PM »
true....but in instances where you are more sedentary .....you can always put on a neoprene sock or add a boot warmer...

Offline Cranker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2015, 08:16 PM »
I love my arctic sport boots!  Best pair I've ever owned and never had an issue with my feet getting cold even when it really is -30. 

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I got the pros this year and have been using them a bunch.  I do get some condensation in the toe area (probably from getting too warm pulling a sled and drilling holes) and it's tough to get them to dry out so could be an issue on a multi day trip.  I also put in a lot of mileage ice trolling and checking new spots and have gotten some hot spots on the back of my heels.  They seem warmer with a little lighter wool sock than my heavy duty smart wool mountaineering socks.  I used them with toe warmers outside on a -18 degree morning last week fishing outside and had no trouble with the cold and they are awesome in the slush.  Can't talk as to the others but sounds like they might be a better deal...

Offline wolffpack08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2015, 11:09 PM »
I wouldn't say the pro's are twice as heavy...but maybe 1 1/2 times...both have a steel toe
my green artic pro's do not have a steel toe.

I love my pros only complaint is my feet sweat when temp is above 15 while walking. 

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2015, 03:12 AM »
I've had a pair of brown Arctic pros for 3 or 4 seasons now. No steel toe in mine. I use them fall, winter, spring & I don't find them to be to heavy. First couple times wearing them I wore 2 pair of socks & quickly learned that wasn't necessary. Feet felt like they were on fire. I now wear one pair of Carhartt wool blend socks & feet stay very comfortable. As already mentioned, they are a bugger to keep dry if being used day after day. Boot dryer is an absolute must. When this pair wears out, I'll definitely buy another. Hands down the best boots I've ever owned !!

Offline montanamark

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2015, 06:34 AM »
I also own the artic pros.. Heavy? I don't see that. My whites pac boots those are heavy. As far as a difference between the pros and
Sport mucks the pros are insulated under the foot bed where the sports are not. The sams club in greatfalls has both, the pros (camo) are $129 which is a steal.. I think  the sports were $99..

Offline Hydro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2015, 08:39 AM »
I like my Arctic Pros, they are very warm and I often use them with a pair of Yak Trax.  I also use them for tree stand hunting and that's why I bought the warmest model I could find, sitting in a tree stand is the coldest thing I do.  I would recommend them to anyone.

Offline trout hounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it swims ive caught it
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:03 AM »
i say go pro cause when i was fishing in -35 degree weather last season it kept my feet warm
if it bites I chase it

Offline Hntinfshin406

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2015, 10:55 AM »
Spend the $40 on the pros. I've been using the pros for 3 years now, never had cold feet in subzero weather. Used them for hunting, ice fishing and other outdoor activities. The pros are rated for -60 and like most cold clothing ratings there should be a degree of activity to maintain comfort at the rated temperature.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline MTWALLEYE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:58 AM »
I've got a pair of artic sports and I love them! My feet used to get cold but not any more!! I've been out in these boots in -20, -30 shoveling snow, fishing, hunting and my feet never get cold anymore! I love them!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.