The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fort peck  (Read 10511 times)

Offline DLakermovedWest

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fort peck
« Reply #30 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:45 AM »
There were a couple small campers on the ice just N of the ramp last week.

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:28 AM »
Just got back from from a Fri-Sun Crooked Creek trip. The road was good going in and the lake had 13-15" of ice, but the "sippy holes" were all over. They were pretty easy to "power" through until Saturday nights snow falls. Crooked Creek got about 8" of snow so it made the sippy holes extremely tough to go through. 3 out of the 4 of us got stuck in them and had to stand there in 8" of water and shovel out. The quads were caked with 8" of ice after we got back to camp. The road out was ok, but I'm sure it's gunna start drifting here shortly.

The fishing was poor. We landed more Sauger than Walleye and the bite was real slow. Everything was the standard 15" size.
Fish Ninja

Offline BigSkyEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 01, 2011, 09:47 AM »
Boatswain - we are headed over Thurs morning & will head back on Sunday sometime.

DLaker - Small world...I seem to recall "Dewey the Weatherman"

iceandwhiskey - I don't know if you are interested or not but last year I stayed at Hell Creek State Park in my camper (just before you get to the marina).  Call Dave Andrus - 557-3562 - he is the manager there.  He will make sure the power is on for you.  I can't remember what it cost us per night...but well worth it for the power.  This year I got one of the cabins...Looks like we will be there during the same time period.  Make sure you swing over & introduce yourself.  I will be on a green Sportsman 500 dragging a Frabill behind.

Good luck to all & be safe!

iceandwiskey

« Reply #33 on: Feb 01, 2011, 03:54 PM »
Thanks eyes, that was just what I was looking for!  I tried the number you posted and it was disconnected but after a quick search found the number  (557-2362) left a mesg and Dave soon called me back.  I will be getting there late Thurs. and we will be there until Sun morning. 
We would love to meet up with you guys.  I have Yamaha Grizzly 700 and a Eskimo quickfish hub, both are red, also my white F-350 & 31' Jayco will be parked in the camp area.
Where are the cabins located? 

Offline BigSkyEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:02 PM »
The cabin I am talking about is just part of the motel at the marina.  Glad the state park will work for you...see ya soon!  look for the Tan F-250.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:11 PM »
Fish Hell creek early Saturday through Sunday afternoon.  10 inches of ice in the bay with a few slush spots.  We got over 6 inches of snow Saturday night and lot's of people lost tip up's.  I didn't cause I use 4' survey stakes with 18" of flouresent green paint to mark my tip up's.  This keeps them from getting run over and lets ya find them if you get a snow event.  The road in to Hell Creek was good Saturday in and out but I had to break trail coming in on Sunday after I pulled another truck out of the ditch.  I ran barefoot and didn't see anyone with iron on but it was still snowing when we left so who knows what the road is like now.

Now for the fishing.....  It was slow.  We got 4 pike and 4 perch on tip up's and lost a walleye on a jigging rod.  This was on 30 tip up's, 3 jigging rods, and one spear hole for 6 people.  We had maybe 4 missed flags/hit and runs.  The pike we caught had no front teeth.  They were biting on the smaller minnows (under 4 inches.)  None of the larger minnows were even touched.  I'm sure the weather didn't help the catching but the fishing was still good.

This was my first time fishing Fort Peck.  I can't wait till I get to go back!  I may go back at the end of the month if the stars line up right...

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #36 on: Feb 02, 2011, 01:40 PM »
Fish Hell creek early Saturday through Sunday afternoon.  10 inches of ice in the bay with a few slush spots.  We got over 6 inches of snow Saturday night and lot's of people lost tip up's.  I didn't cause I use 4' survey stakes with 18" of flouresent green paint to mark my tip up's.  This keeps them from getting run over and lets ya find them if you get a snow event.  The road in to Hell Creek was good Saturday in and out but I had to break trail coming in on Sunday after I pulled another truck out of the ditch.  I ran barefoot and didn't see anyone with iron on but it was still snowing when we left so who knows what the road is like now.

Now for the fishing.....  It was slow.  We got 4 pike and 4 perch on tip up's and lost a walleye on a jigging rod.  This was on 30 tip up's, 3 jigging rods, and one spear hole for 6 people.  We had maybe 4 missed flags/hit and runs.  The pike we caught had no front teeth.  They were biting on the smaller minnows (under 4 inches.)  None of the larger minnows were even touched.  I'm sure the weather didn't help the catching but the fishing was still good.

This was my first time fishing Fort Peck.  I can't wait till I get to go back!  I may go back at the end of the month if the stars line up right...

Jay
JAY, DID YOU FISH IN HELL CREEK BAY OR OUT ON THE MAIN LAKE?  ANY IDEA HOW THICK THE ICE WAS ON THE MAIN LAKE AND IF THERE IS A PRESSURE RIDGE?  HOPEFULLY GOING AGAIN IN A FEW WEEKS AND WAS CURIOUS HOW THE ICE WAS AND IF WE COULD GET TO OUR USUAL SPOTS.  THANX - OH

Offline boatswain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 02, 2011, 03:17 PM »
Eyes and Whiskey just remember to leave some for us that are gonna be there on sunday afternoon. Good luck to both of you. We are staying at the marina as well.

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 02, 2011, 04:20 PM »
JAY, DID YOU FISH IN HELL CREEK BAY OR OUT ON THE MAIN LAKE?  ANY IDEA HOW THICK THE ICE WAS ON THE MAIN LAKE AND IF THERE IS A PRESSURE RIDGE?  HOPEFULLY GOING AGAIN IN A FEW WEEKS AND WAS CURIOUS HOW THE ICE WAS AND IF WE COULD GET TO OUR USUAL SPOTS.  THANX - OH

I saw no pressure ridge.  There were people driving small trucks out on the ice (old school solid axleToyota p/u and a Suzuki Samurai/Sidekick) to Peterson Point (aka west point where Hell Creek Bay meets the main lake) and we were fishing on the south point of the last bay to the east before the main lake.  The last 2 nights it has been over 20 degrees below zero in Jordan so I bet the slush is freezing solid and the ice is growing.  With out any major warming trends I would think that the ice is going to be really good for the next couple weekends.

For the best reports call the Hell Creek Marina @ (406) 557-2345 and ask for Clint.  He's the owner and a hard core fisherman.  He might be out checking tip up's so make sure you call back if he's out of the office.  They can set you up with rooms, bait, tackle, and all the info you need.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

iceandwiskey

« Reply #39 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:44 PM »
Is there a place to buy bait (minnows) between Belgrade and Jordan?  We are leaving around 5 and the marina will be closed when we get there.  We are thinking about going through Billings on the way.  Does Cabala's have live bait?
Thanks,

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:51 PM »
THANX FOR THE INFO JAY.  WE'VE FISHED HC ANNUALLY FOR 12 YEARS NOW, BUT YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN AND HOW FAST CONDITIONS CAN CHANGE, SO I APPRECIATE THE GREAT INFO FROM FELLOW FISHERMAN.  CLINT AND HIS FAMILY ARE GREAT FOR INFO WHEN YOU CAN GET A HOLD OF 'EM, SO I THOUGHT I'D ASK SINCE YOU'D BEEN THERE RECENTLY :)  ONCE AGAIN, THANX AND GOOD FISHIN' AND HOPE TO SEE SOME OF YOU UP THERE - OH

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 02, 2011, 08:55 PM »
Is there a place to buy bait (minnows) between Belgrade and Jordan?  We are leaving around 5 and the marina will be closed when we get there.  We are thinking about going through Billings on the way.  Does Cabala's have live bait?
Thanks,
YOU CAN TRY PRYOR CREEK BAIT IN LAUREL (PRYORCREEKBAIT.COM)  OR THE MINNOW BUCKET IN HUNTLEY (348-2440).  CALL 'EM FIRST TO SEE WHAT THEY HAVE! GOOD FISHIN' - OH

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2011, 10:32 PM »
If you are going through Billings the first live bait will be Pryor Creek Bait Company in Laural @ 406-855-8493.  Good prices and great bait easy on and off the Interstate even with a boat.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:02 AM »
Thanks,

Whiskey,
Be sure to use two hooks on your tip-ups for added bait in the water. It's probably a no brainer, but some people I saw last week were just using one. Plus I found that treble hooks are way better than single hooks. I was finding that the fish would swallow the bait, but the single hook would be buried into the minnow and not get a good hook set and wound up losing a few right at the hole because they would just let go of the minnow.

Good luck and report back on how the fishing was.
Fish Ninja

Offline DLakermovedWest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2011, 10:18 AM »
Call Don's in Lewistown. Cabelas does not.

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:04 AM »
is the marina out of live bait or did i miss why people are looking for it from another source? clint usually has a boatload of minnows of all sizes! let me know cause i'm going over on the 16th of feb.
thanks

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:21 AM »
Marina still had two tanks of bait @ fair prices for the quantity you get.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2011, 11:33 AM »
hey thanks, i was i little worried for a moment.

Offline hooker1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2011, 12:59 PM »
as you know goose egg i'm easy but not cheap.

Offline walleye_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2011, 08:28 PM »
just got back from hell creek (Sunday). caught a total of 15 fish, nothing real big. has slowwwwwwwwed way down the last few days. about 6 inches of slush to drive through, but not a problem. there is so much willows and stuff, that you you have to be right on your flags when they go up, or risk the fish getting tangled up in the forage. broke a lot of line this weekend. the wind was also howling. all in all, we had a great time up there. clint has a great supply of minnows. ice is good...you can get out of the bay and even go across to sutherland. I just stayed in the bay this trip. perch are always bitting too..had fun catching them.. going again in 2 weeks...CAN'T WAIT:):)

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2011, 10:17 PM »
what were you using on the perch. and i am also going in two weeks staying in the hotel this time hopefully the fishing will be great :) and i looked on the forecast it says 30s and 40s with sunshine ;D ;D

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline walleye_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:20 AM »
hey rambo51,
i was fishing in about 30 fow using both a perch and a clown colored fish shaped jigs with about a 2-3 inch minnow. I fished almost to the bottom and had good luck.  :tipup:

Offline BigSkyEyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 07, 2011, 11:31 AM »
Just got back from Hell Creek last night.  Fishing was pretty slow...we did have allot of flags & break offs though.  Caught Pike, Walleye, Sauger, & Perch...but nothing big.  Fished the bay & the main lake.  Slush was getting pretty bad on the main lake after Friday nights rain.  Sunday morning conditions were much better due to the colder weather.

iceandwiskey

« Reply #53 on: Feb 07, 2011, 02:21 PM »
Glad to see you guys all had a good time.  We had great intentions...  Left as soon as we could on Thurs. night and made it to Big Timber before the Ford blew the head gaskets!!!  (This is not good...)  So we spent the night in Big Twig and a friend came down on Friday with a trailer and we hauled the pick-up home and I went back on Sat. for my camper.  Well if all goes well am hoping to try the trip again the weekend of the 19th...

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #54 on: Feb 07, 2011, 04:16 PM »
I'll be there from the 22nd-27th...  hopefully the ice holds up/ shush pockets freeze up by then.  look like it is going to be -19 tonight so that should help.  Keep up the reports fellas and hope to see a few of you out there in a couple weeks.
l

Offline rambo51

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 07, 2011, 05:27 PM »
hey rambo51,
i was fishing in about 30 fow using both a perch and a clown colored fish shaped jigs with about a 2-3 inch minnow. I fished almost to the bottom and had good luck.  :tipup:
thanks for the info I will have to try that. I usually use a minnow and a hook and had great success.but sometimes the perch are being picky and wont take anything happened to me last week at tiber there were lots of perch coming into the jig but wouldn't take nothing and I mean nothing :P

~~~We Fish For The Fish That Eat The Fish You Fish For~~~
                    -MudbuM Boys

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:03 AM »
does anyone target Lake Trout out there?  We are headed out there in a couple weeks and I would like to get a crack at a few

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #57 on: Feb 08, 2011, 12:35 PM »
We dont target lake trout but we seem to get a few every year.  most were in 25-30 FOW on a tip-up with a minnow.

l

Offline skunked79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:19 PM »
does anybody go up by duck creek dam area?

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2011, 08:00 PM »
Has anyone been to the Roy grocery store for Minnows? Had heard they bought tanks for guy who had the bait shop outside of town but havn't really heard much more about it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.