The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: holter  (Read 13807 times)

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
holter
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 12:35 AM »
whats the news on holter???? slow like everyone else???

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: holter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:50 PM »
thought i would pull this one back up to see if i get a nibble from anyone else as to how the fishing has been here? ???

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:53 PM »
Let you know on Saturday.

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:14 PM »
Called Canyon store and they said people are fishing it had no real report though.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline Griztrax

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:17 PM »
After a little waterfowl hunting this morning below Wolf Creek bridge, we ran up to Holter and fished for an hour or so at Departure Point.  Quite a few people at Log Gulch and a few at Departure.  Ice is good - several 4-wheelers and snowmobiles out there.  We had a couple bites (trout) but didn't hook anything.  Some guys just a hundred yards from us caught 5 or so in the hour we were there.  Not sure if it was location or presentation, but they were having fun and we were just killing time  :)  We fished from about 10:00 to 11:00, so we may have missed the early bite.  Hunting was lousy too.....but at least I wasn't at work.

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:24 PM »
thx guys...we need all the help we can get. everywhere we have gone has turned up nothing but atleast i wasnt the only one. so departure point..is that the first one as you come down the hill as you enter to holter??

Offline MSU Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:05 PM »
Fished the last 2 mornings at Holter, between 2 of us we landed 12 on Tuesday and 11 today. Fished around 20 feet of water.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:09 PM »
Fished the last 2 mornings at Holter, between 2 of us we landed 12 on Tuesday and 11 today. Fished around 20 feet of water.

Walleye??? or trout?
l

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2009, 12:24 AM »
sounds like a good day. you said morning so i assume it was all caught before noon then? where were you fishing?

Offline MSU Jay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:45 AM »
We were targeting trout but caught the occasional walleye.  Tuesday morning the major bite was at around 9 while Wednesday was around 10:30 in the morning.

Bullelk34

« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Herdbull-
Departure is the last one you can drive to- "BLM" is the first one. The walleye fishing is usually better the farther down you go.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2010, 06:55 PM »
  I had fished there a couple of years earlier with my wife and we smacked the trout.  I don't know the name but it was a fair ways down there and there were picnic tables and restrooms...quite a facility.  Then last year we went back down to target walleye and perch because we had heard good reports but we didn't move a thing.  We went down past the area with the picnic tables and stuff.  I remember we got out a ways and were fishing in deep water but not moving anything.  I dropped one rod down just about 6 feet under the ice and got a rainbow about 10 minutes after that.  Then we moved closer to shore and got fish steady all day.  Big fish too.  About 24-25" is what I would guess some of them went.  I would like to come up there again but its quite a drive from Belgrade so I'd like to know more about were to try for the eyes and perch and maybe even some advice on what to use.  Who knows though, its quite a ways and there are perch and walleye in CF and hauser which are closer.
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline carpsnager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2010, 09:49 AM »
fished holter twice the perch fishing is o.k. but the walleye and trout is good.going out tonight to try for the bigger walleye.they say you will catch not as many but bigger ones late.

Bullelk34

« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:17 PM »
We use mostly minnow heads on buckshot jigs- the perch and walleye seem to hit them best. We also try jigging rapalas tipped with maggots and do well sometimes. You should try to find 30 FOW give or take, start there and you should find fish.

Offline carpsnager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:06 AM »
well i fished last night til 10:30 and got four little ones (walleye).had the vexlar and not many fished showed up.talk to a few people that fished and sounds like not much going on during the day. 

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Cool, I'll try that next time I'm up there.  Does it matter what time of day you're up there or when you're up there, say early ice or late ice. 
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Bullelk34

« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:23 AM »
Boz- I know it stinks for you because it's a long drive... but early is better we've found. Usually we fish from sun-up to about noon then call it a day there. Pishkun on the other hand fishes well all day long for perch.
Good luck-

Offline kingman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:51 PM »
well i fished last night til 10:30 and got four little ones (walleye).had the vexlar and not many fished showed up.talk to a few people that fished and sounds like not much going on during the day. 
Were you fishing at Departure point carpsnager? Using minnow heads? Does anyone know where to fish for eyes without a 4 wheeler at holter?

Offline Mt.Bucket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2010, 01:00 PM »
where you catch little ones big ones are near.
Live Free Or Die.

Offline WapitiBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Dajigger:  Saw your pics, nice!  you are right about the small ones, on Sat we went "overland" from Departure and were catching a few small ones just across the land bridge, but caught a HOG at 12". Where are the pictures from?

Offline cuznalfy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Location Mt.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:43 PM »
Dajigger:  Saw your pics, nice!  you are right about the small ones, on Sat we went "overland" from Departure and were catching a few small ones just across the land bridge, but caught a HOG at 12". Where are the pictures from?

waptibob when you go to the land bridge do youu walk down the ice cut over or is there another way? i was at log gulch on 12/31 had one bite after perch

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Where is the land bridge?  I was at departure point Jan 4. Got there around noon.  Didn't mark anything at all until around 3.  Two small walleye and a trout.  40 Feet of Water.  I hooked into that rainbow at 40 feet deep where I was catching the small walleyes and I thought I had hooked one hell of a walleye at first.  :'( Oh well.

Oh yeah, I was dead-sticking on rod while I was jigging with another.   I walked over to clean out some ice out of the dead-stick hole and I saw a couple of nice rainbows about 4 feet below the ice going after an orange string bobber stop I had left on my line. 

Where are the larger walleyes at?

Offline WapitiBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:44 PM »
I call it that, but just head south from Departure point following the ridge that makes the east side of the lake until you reach a low saddle (about 1/2 mile) that then takes you to the "other side". After a several hundred yard portage you end up on the lake about 1/2 mile north of Cottonwood creek.  There were some guys fishing down there, too. 

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:34 PM »
how has holter been fishing?

Bullelk34

« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:04 AM »
Slow still- Saturday we got 4 trout, 2 walleyes and 1 perch.

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Slow still- Saturday we got 4 trout, 2 walleyes and 1 perch.
beter than nothin all day.....lol!

Offline carpsnager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:50 PM »
went to holter yesterday and had a good day of fishing.we caught 50+ perch 5 trout ten walleye small ones and one ling.   

Offline HERDBULL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 15, 2010, 10:19 PM »
went to holter yesterday and had a good day of fishing.we caught 50+ perch 5 trout ten walleye small ones and one ling.   
how was the ice and where abouts were ya?

Offline carpsnager

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:21 AM »
ice was about 12 to 15 in. with the top 3 in. real soft and the rest was good ice.We walk in the bay where the boat loft is.

Offline IcemanZ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2010, 11:41 AM »
ice was about 12 to 15 in. with the top 3 in. real soft and the rest was good ice.We walk in the bay where the boat loft is.
Carpsnager,
Bay out of Log gulch or the first one as your coming down the hill? :tipup:
Z
TED NUGENT for PRESIDENT!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.