Author Topic: !!!Week of Thanksgiving!!!  (Read 3385 times)

Offline CaptMo

• IceShanty Rookie
!!!Week of Thanksgiving!!!
« on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:18 AM »
Good Morning fellow Ice Fishing folks,

If the weather keeps up the way it is we should have ice by Turkey Day.  I'll be fishing Wanahoo and Omaha lakes that week if anyone wants to join send me a PM.  How was Wanahoo this fall?  Was there any crappie with size or are poeple still keeping the fingerlings?  Any size to the "Eyes" yet?  One thing I'd like to see is that we all use "selective harvesting".  I see so many small fish being taken.  Be safe on first ice and doesn't hurt to look like a "shmuck" for a few days with a life jacket on.  Make sure to have your rescue gear at the ready too!  Happy Ice Fishing and keep the lines tight!!!!!

:tipup: :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) ;D 

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: !!!Week of Thanksgiving!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:49 AM »
The apex predators are doing well in Wanahoo. There have been a lot of 30+" pike caught and released this year, some 20+" walleye, and the LMB are starting to get Master Angler size. A couple 20+" LMB were caught during the MKFS kayak tournament in July. Those species should all continue to do well in the next few years. I think eventually it is likely that Wanahoo will mature into a premium LMB fishery and the pike and walleye will become scarce, but I plan to take advantage of the walleye and pike opportunity if offers now while it lasts.

I have caught a lot of 7" bluegill there, but not many larger than that. The crappie numbers are enormous, but few over 6" in my experience.

You are exactly correct in that a lot of small panfish are going home in buckets, small fish that should be released. Anglers are going to have to do there part with selective harvest if the panfish are ever going to amount to anything of consequence in Wanahoo.

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2014, 11:50 AM »
Hate to be contrary, but the selective harvest philosophy would be that of harvesting the species and sizes of fish that are most abundant and can withstand the harvest.  I would much rather see folks harvest the small and medium size fish and let the big ones go!

With panfish what always happens is folks start harvesting the big ones and then work their way down.  Once all the 14-inch crappies are gone, they start on the 12-inchers, and once all of them are gone they start on the 10-inchers and then when they are all gone you are left with a bunch of 9-inch crappies.  Yes, those 9-inchers eventually grow up, but as soon as they reach the size where they are deemed "big enough to keep/fillet" they go home in someone's pickup.

There are some big year-classes of crappies still growing in Wanahoo, but I suspect most of them will get whacked when they get to be about 10-inches.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline thorson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2014, 01:29 PM »
So why not institute a length limit on these lakes?
Life is short, fish hard!

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2014, 01:52 PM »
You are correct, Daryl. I did not articulate that very well.

What I meant was that a lot of small/medium 6-7" bluegill and 8-9" crappie are being harvested out of Wanahoo since those are about the biggest fish of those species that one is going to find. Since the bar has been lowered and those are now the "big" fish, they should be released, at least according to selective harvest philosophy.

The definition of "big" is all relative, is it not?

So, my next question is, what is the solution in order to try to get some bigger panfish in Wanahoo? If all the 9" crappie are being taken home in buckets right now, and those are essentially the biggest fish of that species, what do anglers need to do now in order to someday have a chance at a trophy crappie fishery there?

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:02 AM »
So why not institute a length limit on these lakes?

What kind of length limit?

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:03 AM »
You are correct, Daryl. I did not articulate that very well.

What I meant was that a lot of small/medium 6-7" bluegill and 8-9" crappie are being harvested out of Wanahoo since those are about the biggest fish of those species that one is going to find. Since the bar has been lowered and those are now the "big" fish, they should be released, at least according to selective harvest philosophy.

The definition of "big" is all relative, is it not?

So, my next question is, what is the solution in order to try to get some bigger panfish in Wanahoo? If all the 9" crappie are being taken home in buckets right now, and those are essentially the biggest fish of that species, what do anglers need to do now in order to someday have a chance at a trophy crappie fishery there?

Convince more people to release more, and bigger fish.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline JKL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2014, 12:37 PM »
What kind of length limit?

Daryl B.

No panfish under 20"
No bass under 30"
No walleye under 48"
No northern under 60"

Offline DakotaAngler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2014, 03:55 PM »

Daryl B.

I guess I should have asked, "Is there anything we can realistically do?"

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Daryl

do you know if they have ever tried a slot on crappie like 12"-15"(whatever size) must be released or anything like that or maybe a 14" inch max with one over 14" kinda deal????
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:49 AM »
Kansas crappie seem to do just fine with 20-30 fish limits, no length minimum.

pot>kettle

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:06 PM »
Daryl

do you know if they have ever tried a slot on crappie like 12"-15"(whatever size) must be released or anything like that or maybe a 14" inch max with one over 14" kinda deal????

I do not know of any experiments with slot length limits on crappies.  I will always tell you that no regulation is right for every body of water, every situation, but there might be crappie populations where a slot length limit would be appropriate.

However, it is hard to sell something like that when most folks see golden fillets sizzling in grease every time they pull a crappie through an ice hole.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:07 PM »
Kansas crappie seem to do just fine with 20-30 fish limits, no length minimum.

pot>kettle

And what kind of habitats are those in Kansas?

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:06 PM »
rocks, lots of them.

Offline GRIZZ08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2014, 08:04 AM »
i agree daryl most of our problem is the fisherman not the regulation i was just wondering if was ever done in nebraska i know they do it will walleyes so i dont see why they couldnt do it with other species.  do they do any experimenting with stuff like that on some lakes??  i dont see what it would hurt to do it on a few lakes and maybe show some people the benifites of releaseing the big ones and keeping the small ones.
some days I can drink a lot of beer and other days only a case

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2014, 11:35 AM »
i agree daryl most of our problem is the fisherman not the regulation i was just wondering if was ever done in nebraska i know they do it will walleyes so i dont see why they couldnt do it with other species.  do they do any experimenting with stuff like that on some lakes??  i dont see what it would hurt to do it on a few lakes and maybe show some people the benifites of releaseing the big ones and keeping the small ones.

Sure, in many ways fisheries management is an ongoing experiment.  Fish populations are dynamic, always changing and fisheries management including regulations are always monitored and adjusted according to those changes.  No, we have not experimented with slot length limits on panfish.  Part of the reason for that is as I stated--convincing anglers that they should be releasing panfish that would be large enough that they could be filleted.  The other thing to keep in mind is in spite of the way it seems sometimes, we do try to keep regulations as simple as possible.  In recent years that has manifested itself in very few length limits of any kind on panfish.  I would love to see every body of water managed in a different way, even if it meant different regulations for each body of water, but at some point, that gets a little ridiculous.

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
[email protected]

Offline CaptMo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2014, 07:19 AM »
I just wish we had fisheries like South Dakota and State Parks like South Dakota.  Lots of fish and clean facilities....and free showers!!   Guess I best be moving north. 

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Slot limits could be an interesting experiment on certain lakes.  On groups of lakes like the Valentine Refuge, a rotational harvest might also be worth considering.  By that I mean selected lakes would only be open to C&R fishing for panfish on alternating years or every 3rd year to help alleviate pressure and give lakes "time off" to boost populations.  Of course that could just shift pressure to other lakes that currently allow harvest defeating the purpose

Probably the best approach IMO was the shift to a 15 panfish aggregate limit.  Unless you are keeping some really small pannies, 15 fish (30 fillets) is a whole lot more than I can eat in one sitting. 5 decent crappies, fried taters, and a salad leaves me full as a tick  with leftovers.

Offline Le4ge

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 19, 2014, 09:17 AM »
Hear in NE South Dakota we have about 7 inches of ice on the small lakes. I have not been out yet this year but think I am going to go out this weekend.

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:21 AM »
Slot limits could be an interesting experiment on certain lakes.  On groups of lakes like the Valentine Refuge, a rotational harvest might also be worth considering.  By that I mean selected lakes would only be open to C&R fishing for panfish on alternating years or every 3rd year to help alleviate pressure and give lakes "time off" to boost populations.  Of course that could just shift pressure to other lakes that currently allow harvest defeating the purpose

Probably the best approach IMO was the shift to a 15 panfish aggregate limit.  Unless you are keeping some really small pannies, 15 fish (30 fillets) is a whole lot more than I can eat in one sitting. 5 decent crappies, fried taters, and a salad leaves me full as a tick  with leftovers.

Unfortunately, having "lake specific" regulations would require fishers to READ THE SIGNS when entering the fishery.  In the words of (My Cousin) Vinnie's girlfriend... "WHAT A NIGHTMARE!"

While growing up, "we" NEVER filleted a fish.  Any fish.  Behead and gut the smaller panfish- and bake 'em on a cookie sheet. 

If your fishery has a "million" 6" bluegills and few over 8", harvest them 6"ers and enjoy a great meal!
The OFFICIAL NEBRASKA ICE MAP 
ACTIVELY UPDATED WITH YOUR REPORTS!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:25 AM »
I just wish we had fisheries like South Dakota and State Parks like South Dakota.  Lots of fish and clean facilities....and free showers!!   Guess I best be moving north.

Why stop there?  It's even better in Canada and they have National Health Care that won't break your bank account.
 ;D

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1EzoZhQjAcZAvY9qiApAy-g8xwQZAIb6q&ll=41.356402103308504%2C-102.02912595312499&z=7

Practicing Selective Harvest provides me a few of the abundant fish for a meal while providing YOU a rare fish to catch!

Offline JAM3S

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 40° makes me sweat.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 19, 2014, 11:40 AM »
Thanksgiving?  I'm going TONIGHT!

(near Seward)

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2014, 01:55 PM »

Daryl B.

That would be the key.  But with panfishing its all about bragging you caught your limit.  When lakes like Home valley and the refuge get hot, there are dozens of trucks perhaps nearing a hundred anglers some days.  And when people see everyone else keeping limits.  So too will they.   Its really hard to fish with the crowd and put nice fish back in and watch everyone else who doesn't give crap keep limits day after day.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Showdown56

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice, Ice BABY!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:07 PM »
That would be the key.  But with panfishing its all about bragging you caught your limit.  When lakes like Home valley and the refuge get hot, there are dozens of trucks perhaps nearing a hundred anglers some days.  And when people see everyone else keeping limits.  So too will they.   Its really hard to fish with the crowd and put nice fish back in and watch everyone else who doesn't give **** keep limits day after day.

I'm gonna add a thread asking icers to give making a meal of smaller fish a try.  Simple, easy, and keeping their "limits" won't adversely affect the fishery.

After all, keeping a "limit" is about consumption, isn't it?

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:10 PM »
I takes one person to start and show others.  Just need to start somewhere before it gone. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #25 on: Nov 20, 2014, 07:56 PM »
Trying get out this weekend. As for limits and size If I am fishing for supper I will keep six or seven. Don't cull. First caught first eaten.
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.