Author Topic: Frustration setting in  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
Frustration setting in
« on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:02 PM »
 This has been, by far, the worst ice fishing season I have experienced. I have been blessed all winter with ample ice, access to private ponds, all the bells and whistles needed for a good time fishing. But, I have had exactly 2 trips where I have caught more than a couple of fish. I am so close to packing everything away until next year, but can't bring myself to do that, as I can still walk out on 13-14 inches of clear black ice if I so desire. Anybody else struggling as bad as I am?

I have about used up all of my cuss words......

Offline rags

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Frustration setting in
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:31 PM »
LOL I have been out 3 times , had a total of 4 bites and 0 hookups

Offline tysontia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2014, 02:40 PM »
my sentiments exactly.  Have access to 3 private ponds that contain donkey crappies and another has monster average bass.......nothing is producing!!!

Went to Power Creek yesterday and caught one dink gill...........then to one of the private ponds, and marked one fish in 3 hours and moved a ton!!!

Then finished at Crystal Cove in South Sioux City and managed one little trout.  I've only had one decent day all winter. 

Has to be the constant yo,yo weather we get.........50 to -10 to 60 again with 150mph wind!!! 

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:17 PM »
I've been on the ice this season already more than the past two combined - not going to find me complaining about that, especially with (hopefully) a handful of fishable weeks left!

Now as far as the quality of fishing goes, I have had a couple of trips where I had to work really hard to find fish - sometimes hours.  However, once I've found fish, I've been able to stay on them pretty well (moving with them at times).  I have had the "lookers but no takers" phenomenon happen for an hour or two at a time, and more of those episodes than in previous years, but I'm just chalking that up to getting out more.

Nate

Offline Fishin4eyes30+

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2014, 03:33 PM »
For walleyes I agree it's been frustrating but other than that I've had a blast caught and released a lot of fish this year! Not much quality fish tho!

Offline Craiginc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2014, 04:35 PM »
I will second your Frustration on the excellent Ice but Very Poor Fishing. 

I am sure the "herky-jerky" weather is the primary reason.  The secondary issue has been the Ice Safety in the High Winds.

Or is it just the Fisherman ?  Me !!!!

Offline ClearCreek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:21 PM »
That is why they call it fishing and not catching.

ClearCreek

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2014, 05:32 PM »
Oh, well that clears it up for me. Never mind everyone.

Offline mkruid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Same for me today. 6 Hours on Summit, over 80 holes, not 1 bite! Skunked for the first time in a long time.

Offline ironmike269

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Agreed.  Been a terrible year  :-\

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2014, 07:22 PM »
IT has actually been a good year for me. Not consistent for sure, but not bad. All public waters.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2014, 08:15 PM »
Nope!  Not sharing your frustration!  I have just about dedicated this season to pike. Having a fantastic year personal best came today!  39" ppphhaaatt! Lady blessed me today    between my kids and I we are at 12 ma pike this season. Caught and released :tipup:

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Your not doing something right!!  :tipup:
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline wyotoach

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Holding your mouth right? Did you change soap? Seriously... maybe it's something on your hands.

Offline Adam R

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2014, 10:48 PM »
I have been catching tons of fish this year. It has been my best year since I started 5 years ago. We have been catching lots of bass crappie gills trout yellow bass and even a few catfish.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2014, 11:41 PM »
I have been catching tons of fish this year. It has been my best year since I started 5 years ago. We have been catching lots of bass crappie gills trout yellow bass and even a few catfish.

Same here.  I've fished a ton this year.  Every weekend since the last of decemeber.  Caught fish every day I was out.  A couple of them were very unproductive days, but still time on the ice!

Hope to put a nice cap on the season in valentine next weekend.

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:35 AM »
Keep holding your mouth right jthod.  This area has a way of going either way on you.  I understand why so many are frustrated.  Most reports even from locals is more miss than hit.  This is an year unlike any I think I've experienced in the 11 years since I've moved here. My success this winter has really hinged on the fact that I have access to an really wonderful private pike lake that I know very well.  And more my succes the fact that my children have joined me all But one trip(I got skunked).  I only personally caught 2 fish my first 7 trips out. My son who I thought I'd ruined by taking him too much when he was young(he's been on the ice with me since he was two, he's 8 now) has really picked up fighting pike this winter is really hooked on it.  Now I don't think I could leave him home.  I don't think I could get him to go pan fishing.  He really doesn't care to catch little fish right now ::).  Jthod I hope your trip goes well and you catch some fish.  I hope you get to see our sunrise.  I hope you see our sunset.  And I hope youre jealouse

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:44 AM »
This has been, by far, the worst ice fishing season I have experienced. I have been blessed all winter with ample ice, access to private ponds, all the bells and whistles needed for a good time fishing. But, I have had exactly 2 trips where I have caught more than a couple of fish. I am so close to packing everything away until next year, but can't bring myself to do that, as I can still walk out on 13-14 inches of clear black ice if I so desire. Anybody else struggling as bad as I am?

I have about used up all of my cuss words......

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger Tom. I've visited with people from Ill to Wy and many have similar comments as you. Something about the southern ice belt this season is different. Panfish in particular have been off. Hopefully things will turn around with longer days ahead.

btw congrats hardh2ofish on a 39" pike.  :tipup: Any photos of the monster?

dc   

Offline Mr Merritt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:49 AM »
The fishing around Merritt this year has been good at times but not always consistent, most likely due to the numerous weather fronts that seem to follow each other back to back.  High winds accompanying the fronts have often prevented anglers from fishing preferred areas.  I consider myself somewhere between an advanced beginner to intermediate ice fisherman and certainly no expert.  Given the comments of others I feel fortunate to not have been skunked during my 5 days on the ice this year.

Offline kylerprochaska

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 03, 2014, 05:35 PM »
I've had one of my better years in my short ice fishing career.  No frustration this year from the fish... weathers a different story though.

Offline Beerguzzler17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:11 PM »
I agree this year has been different than others but i have used the following with great success this year.  Drill about 15-20 holes then ACTUALLY fish those holes even if you don't see anything on your "vex".  I have very rarely seen any suspended fish this year but pounding the bottom a few times has seemed to ring the dinner bell.  This has worked on all panfish, walleye, catfish, pike, bass and even one carp.  95% of the fish I have caught this year I haven't actually seen on the vex until I go through this process.  Been using only live bait... wax worms and minnows to be exact.   Hope this helps some people!

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 03, 2014, 06:13 PM »
I feel your pain Tom. I'm in the same boat as you. It's been a challenging year on the ice for me as well. I need to get my ice fishing mojo back.

Offline 12ICEFISH

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch, if you don't fish!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:04 PM »
x2 with thee weather! Been to SD twice and the only thing above 0 has been the wind. Really makes for a tough outing.  My experience with catching this year is way less than desirable as well. Had only two outings where i brought home limits. But you know what, still having fun ::)
Herm Krepel

Offline big12hurt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 03, 2014, 09:26 PM »
My taxidermist hasn't complained
If hell freezes over I"ll be fishin.

Offline jthod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:33 PM »
:thumbsup:

I had of the most beautiful days fishing on merritt this year.  21" of great ice, no wind, 30* blue skies, and caught nothing but dinks.  At least the drinks were cold!

Offline whitetips

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:30 PM »
Oh, I don't know, I would say my ice season has been fairly typical.

I believe some parts of the state have had a tough bite because they got significant snow on the ice right after it froze up.  We are mid-winter now, but have had high winds that have opened up some water in many places and that does not help the stability of conditions under the ice, nor the bite.

Wait for it, late ice is coming and there will be a good bite then!

Daryl B.
Daryl Bauer
Fisheries Outreach Program Manager
Nebraska Game & Parks Commission
[email protected]
http://neblandvm.outdoornebraska.gov/category/barbs-and-backlashes/

Offline funtwohunt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:20 PM »
Just hang in there, it will get better. I agree with beerguzzler, at times it seems most of the time you have to stay on the bottom work it. Using a vex/Marcum seems to work once you find a fish that comes off the bottom or just before they come from the side and slams the bait. I've actually had just as good a luck with tipups with minnows right on the bottom. I don't know where you are located but I do know after talking to some people I know from ND and MN and even on the big lakes it is at times a struggle this year. At times the fish are just not biting for what ever reason

Offline MA Machine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 06, 2014, 01:34 PM »
It's been a either full on or full off for me this year.  I have had some of my best and worst fishing days ever.  The best days usually lasted a few hours, the worst lasted all day.  It was a good year to learn and practice new scouting techniques!   The Refuge really kicked my butt this year but it's such a beautiful area it's not all bad. 

Offline Tic addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 06, 2014, 08:25 PM »
It's still fishing !!!! As long as your able , it's all good!!!! It's been a hit and miss here and there tipe of year, but its still been fairly productive!!! , after all if we went out and smoked em every time it would be !!! Like sleeping and waking up, you would know what's going to happen and that's boring!!! Just my 2 cents worth!!!!!
"Jiggem"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.