Author Topic: ? for the biologist  (Read 807 times)

Offline quadshack

• IceShanty Rookie
? for the biologist
« on: Jan 26, 2011, 01:02 PM »
What are they?small off white worms in the buegill flesh.fremont sra#5

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ? for the biologist
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:16 PM »
Normal -  a parasitic worm. Not hazardous to humans. They'll be killed when you cook the fish, but you can always pick em out when filleting.
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline shepdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2011, 02:23 PM »
if they look like a minature wax worm then they are called yellow grub safe to eat but disgusting to look at.
Fishing is my church!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Trematodes.   Gross..but harmless.  There are also flukes (black spots in gills).  Very few things that thrive in a fish thrive in a human.  Biggest worry is bacterial...which are the same ones in chicken and other meat.  The coliform (fecal borne) bacteria are prob the biggest concern.  Not due to the flesh, but in some waters that have high levels of livestock faeces.  Improper handling and poor sanitary techniques are your biggest concerns.  I think I'll throw some pizza rolls in the oven before I start cutting worms out. Not biological...100% mental.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.