Author Topic: location issues  (Read 3369 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
location issues
« on: Jan 09, 2014, 07:38 PM »
so i have access to a pond with a bunch of average sized catfish (anywhere from 1 to 3 pounds) and i've had great success fishing for them in summer.
unfortunately, i have no idea where to find them in winter. all the usual cover apart from weedbeds is above the winter waterline, and the deepest parts of the pond are featureless.

so here are some pictures, maybe you guys can help me determine the best places to check for these whiskered critters.

here's the pond in all it's simplicity, it's roughly 100 yards long and 30 yards wide.

the red marks the deepest holes in the pond, which are about 9-10 feet deep; the blue marks the shallowest part of the pond, which is about 1 foot deep; and the green marks places where i have caught catfish during the summer.

in this version, the orange marks the areas with weeds, and the purple marks the areas with mud. otherwise, the bottom mostly consists of gravel and some fine sand and silt.

here's all the markers layered on top of each other.

the prevalent baitfish are small perch, green sunfish, and bluegills. they can be found throughout the pond, regardless of where you choose to fish.

any help would be fantastic, i'm planning an overnight trip there later this month and i'd love to be able to actually catch fish after it gets dark.
also, would a submersible fish attraction light be a worthy tool in this situation? i already know that it's legal, i just need to know if it would help bring in catfish or at least hold panfish in the area at night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.