Author Topic: Sandusky Bay..... Not Much Fun  (Read 2851 times)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sandusky Bay..... Not Much Fun
« on: Jan 19, 2018, 09:32 AM »
Went out yesterday, 1/18/18.  Walked out from Whites Landing.  Walked out about 1/4 mi  NNW.

Here is the issues with the Bay.....
Doing some homework, there is only 5 feet of water everywhere west of Rt 2 bridge. A little deeper near and under the bridge. There are 3 main underground springs that are known, and countless smaller unknown ones. The perch seem to want to hang around these springs. We spudded carefully to the first spring. Found all ice at 8 inches thick. I set up and started fishing. Caught nothing. The braver.... or crazier ones who set up on top of the spring were catching some fish.

Toward the end of the day, I came out of my shelter to find someone surrounded by slush and trying to retrieve their Clam hub that was left overnight. I watched as he worked with the spud bar trying to unstick his frozen shanty. His foot went through a couple of times. It looked like there was ice under the water, but who knows how thick it was.

It wasn't like that when we got there, and we walked through that area that morning. But by afternoon the ice was eroded from under and was definitely unsafe.

This Bay is known for random underground springs popping up. Not a good place to take a 4 wheeler even with a foot of ice. What is safe now,  may not be in a few hours. The shallow water exacerbates the erosion by spring water.

If you go out on the western half of the Bay, be cautious. The guy that was retrieving his shack told me someone went through 3 days ago, near the same path we walked out on. There was 8 inches everywhere we walked,  but it is not guaranteed.  The water is only chin deep, but you get just as wet as if it were 30.

Wasn't the finest day. Was thankful to have ice around here though.

May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Sandusky Bay..... Not Much Fun
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:04 PM »
Copy icehole... I've been chomping at the bit to make the drive over there for the big lake or the bay. ..sounds like I should wait it out. Thanks for the heads up....

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2018, 11:43 PM »
I literally just posted something similar about springs on another thread. I was on 11” of ice all day today (1/19). Started the morning at 8:20am with zero wind and 22 degrees. Ended the day at 1:30pm at 45 degrees with 10mph wind. Found myself over a spring at the end. Drilled my holes and every footstep instantly started cracking and popping. I was over ~30’ of water. Once that happened I called it day before it was ruined. I was fishing alone. Springs are widow makers and shouldn’t be dealt with lightly. This was my first experience encountering springs and I really don’t feel like doing it again. Those guys fishing over springs are just asking for trouble.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 03:55 AM »
The eastern side of bay bridge may have better results. Deeper water. Problem is the shipping channel. Don't know if the ice breakers were running. After this weekend's weather, it might not matter anyway.

Offline rutnut245

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:53 PM »
The channel between the Edison and old bay bridge is probably open. As far as the springs, after a couple freeze and thaw cycles they usually open. The trick to fishing the springs is to get as safely close to the edge as you can. Obviously the downstream area should be avoided unless it's frozen very hard. Back in the day, shanties would ring them so tight you couldn't walk over the spring if you tried, you couldn't fit between them. I've got at least seven springs on my gps. I usually fish the first or third. There used to be a lot of shanties between Bay View and the south end of the Edison bridge, no more. It must have gotten too shallow.

Offline Erieguy1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2018, 12:52 PM »
The Icehole guy Steve Joesph doesn't even ice fish. Lmao. Saw it on Facebook about an hour ago. 
Guy is on an Ice fishing website to just try to add people to his Facebook group .

Unreal how some people lie.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2018, 01:17 PM »
The Icehole guy Steve Joesph doesn't even ice fish. Lmao. Saw it on Facebook about an hour ago. 
Guy is on an Ice fishing website to just try to add people to his Facebook group .

Unreal how some people lie.

If you are talking about me, you are dead wrong. My name is Brian, and I have no idea who you are talking about. And I hate Facebook. I get on maybe a dozen times a year and only for family reasons. Don't quit your day job and become a detective.  Or moonlight as a private investigator!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.