Author Topic: Diefenbaker Lake 2017-2018  (Read 37553 times)

Offline MYATUK

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Diefenbaker Lake 2017-2018
« Reply #90 on: Jan 15, 2018, 09:43 PM »
Been slow in Elbow Marina during this high pressure. Only a few trout, whites and burbs around. We did have one 20lb pike a few days ago but buddy lost her. Hope to see more with the temp change.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 18, 2018, 11:14 AM »
Just to tell anyone heading out to east danielson boat launch.....i did drive out but there is a seperation of the ice and a crack of about a foot wide heading north and south. One would hate to get his vehicle tire wedged in there. Its a crack from top of ice right on through to the bottom

Offline Tech By Trade

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 18, 2018, 01:27 PM »

gman51

« Reply #93 on: Jan 19, 2018, 06:31 AM »
Just to tell anyone heading out to east danielson boat launch.....i did drive out but there is a seperation of the ice and a crack of about a foot wide heading north and south. One would hate to get his vehicle tire wedged in there. Its a crack from top of ice right on through to the bottom
     thanks oleike,for the ice update. will be heading out to deif saturday for the full shift. but further south from Danielson. will post my findings also on my return.

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 19, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Heading out there tomorrow morning, how far off out from the mouth of the bay is the crack? Can you swing left and avoid the crack?, thanks,  Flyboy.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline Burbot Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just chillin'
« Reply #95 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:11 PM »
Fished Coteau today. Fishing was very slow. Buddy caught 1 walleye and a pike. I got skunked. Othrr around us were having no luck either. Have heard some good reports from earlier in the week. No snow left on the ice and a bit of water. Would recommend wearing cleats. Very slick.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 19, 2018, 07:45 PM »
Heading out there tomorrow morning, how far off out from the mouth of the bay is the crack? Can you swing left and avoid the crack?, thanks,  Flyboy.

the crack is about 100 yds out from the outer end of the bay. You could always walk from there. To tell you the truth there was a lot of water coming through the ice in a lot of places due to them letting water out of the lk. at a high rate. I drove out..ice is about 20 inches. you can drive way over to the north as it looked like the crack slowly narrowed. Good luck

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 19, 2018, 10:54 PM »
Interesting how the lake fluctuates in depth.  This is a graph showing a full year of lake depth up until today.

Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #98 on: Jan 20, 2018, 07:31 PM »
Made it out today for awhile. Another great day to be on the lake. Lots of ice now...well over 2 feet near Danielson.   Definitely was a slower day for me. Had to finesse them pretty good. Ended up finding Walleyes in 34-45 FOW. How did everyone else make out today?  Saw lots of trucks on the ice near Couteau.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #99 on: Jan 20, 2018, 08:55 PM »
We drove on 4 to 6 pm just out of Danielson bay. 1 pike, 1 missed half way. Some better fishermen share their catch of burbot and whitefish with us. :)

Super slippery.

gman51

« Reply #100 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:51 AM »
got out with a buddy yesterday we started out the day near Danielson west side campground and drove down the lake with his side by side fishing different spots in search mode.ended up around 12km down the lake. was a great way and a great day to do some exploring.we found an area that had marks showing up fairly consistently and was producing the whole day. we ended up the day with our limits of nice walleyes and a whole bunch of smaller ones that were released.  we were using silver flutter spoons tipped with a minnow head 1/8 oz .0 perch 0 pike or any other species were caught. we had a great time and looking forward to the next trip.

Offline pkurtz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #101 on: Jan 21, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Fished Coteau again this morning. Burbot and Perch were biting good. Watch out for the frozen surface melt, some of it is fairly deep and hard to see. I nearly got stuck but it was 645am when I hit the ice.

Offline familyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:42 PM »
Pkurtz did you find it is still decent driving most spots in the bay?  Last year I would usually go across right at the boat launch to the other side and then venture along the far side of the bay. There was a well used trail going across and then a week later talked to a guy and he said a CO put the back of his truck through coming back across on that same trail. After that I was a lot more hesitant to go across the bay although I know there are lots of stories of gas wells on the main lake.

I usually have my 6 year old son with me and we don’t ever get there by 6:45am but do you find the perch bite that early?  I don’t usually find the perch get going until daybreak.

Thanks for any info. 

Offline pkurtz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #103 on: Jan 21, 2018, 06:49 PM »
It was fine as long as you watch for hollow spots. Go slow and you’ll be fine.

I usually don’t travel on the trails because of your story.

Worst part is it’s slow slippery out so it’s hard to walk and tough to build up any speed to get off the ice.

Offline Railman8157

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 21, 2018, 07:07 PM »
We tried south of danielson sat.Very slow,1wally 1 jack.A group beside us managed 3 rainbows.Was beautful day on the ice tho.drove on approx 26 inches of ice

Offline walleyeislife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Jan 22, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Boys i have fished the spillway and gardniner dam area plenty of times in my life and i dont like driving on dief unless i know the area. i am in swift for work all week and hope to get out for atleast 1 night bite. whats a better area to fish. beaver flats or sk landing? I am talking better in terms of safety and the chances ill land a few fish. Any info would be great. I am hoping to drive on bc i assume it will be extremely difficult to walk on with zero snow.

Thanks in advance

Offline 3rdgenrf

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 22, 2018, 05:28 PM »
Boys i have fished the spillway and gardniner dam area plenty of times in my life and i dont like driving on dief unless i know the area. i am in swift for work all week and hope to get out for atleast 1 night bite. whats a better area to fish. beaver flats or sk landing? I am talking better in terms of safety and the chances ill land a few fish. Any info would be great. I am hoping to drive on bc i assume it will be extremely difficult to walk on with zero snow.

Thanks in advance
If your going during the week head to   Beaver Flats, turn left and go past tbe golf course to west end bay. Very easy access and plenty safe to drive on. Personally, I moved my shack from there to Nagels Point which is a few miles east because it was a little to busy there for me.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #107 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:49 AM »
Does anyone know were that side by side went through the ice on Wed on Dief?

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:18 PM »

geez..never heard a thing about it....are they ok....damn gas wells!!

gman51

« Reply #109 on: Jan 26, 2018, 03:21 PM »
. Could be anywhere on that lake At anytime As mentioned in other posts with those gas wells bubbling up under the ice. Really sketchy with snow cover. Probably not for the novice ice fisher person who likes to drive all over a lake.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #110 on: Jan 26, 2018, 04:16 PM »
I was talking to the C.O.'s on Blackstrap yesterday and he told me the side by side went through on Wed, but not sure were.

Hasn't made the news, so I imagine they stayed top side.

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Jan 27, 2018, 01:30 PM »
I was talking to the C.O.'s on Blackstrap yesterday and he told me the side by side went through on Wed, but not sure were.

Hasn't made the news, so I imagine they stayed top side.
not everything makes the news ive learned...a worker at the fish farm died the other day...never heard a thing about it on the news...and i was watching. Twenty seven year old guy...very sad

Offline pkurtz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:35 PM »
Anybody fish Coteau today? Was planning to head out again tomorrow again and was wondering how much snow is on the ice.

Offline Sega bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Anybody fish Coteau today? Was planning to head out again tomorrow again and was wondering how much snow is on the ice.

0" of snow, missed all of it
A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore

Offline iceflyangler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:22 PM »
Thank for your information about ice thickness, and accident happened last Wednesday.

Offline Sega bandit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Jan 28, 2018, 10:58 PM »
not everything makes the news ive learned...a worker at the fish farm died the other day...never heard a thing about it on the news...and i was watching. Twenty seven year old guy...very sad
Just to clarify-the fellow past away from CO poisoning not from falling through the ice....
A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #116 on: Jan 29, 2018, 11:05 AM »
The main lake at the mouth of the Coteau channel has a large area of ice filled with dirt. My auger blades knows it right away but still too late.

gman51

« Reply #117 on: Jan 29, 2018, 01:35 PM »
The main lake at the mouth of the Coteau channel has a large area of ice filled with dirt. My auger blades knows it right away but still too late.
. Dirt or sand..that lake in alot of areas will wreck your blades in a hurry. I take a set of my old blades and swap them out when I’m going to deifenbaker. And do touch ups on the ice when I’m there with my sharpener. Learned that many years ago. We ran into a person last time out that was drilling a hole with his power auger that must of took him 5 min to do 1 hole.. not good When your head unit has to work that hard things are going to break down a lot faster.

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:30 PM »
It's sand and fine pebble up to 1/4 inch. They must have been blown off shore and rolled down the channel. There is much less of this staff even right below Gardiner Dam.

Offline walleyeislife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Jan 29, 2018, 02:59 PM »
If your going during the week head to   Beaver Flats, turn left and go past tbe golf course to west end bay. Very easy access and plenty safe to drive on. Personally, I moved my shack from there to Nagels Point which is a few miles east because it was a little to busy there for me.

Thanks for this info. i went out Wed and Thurs evening and caught 1 burbot, it was slow to say the least.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.