Author Topic: Weights  (Read 1203 times)

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
Weights
« on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:28 AM »
What do people find to be the most effective for weights on tip ups.  I used to go weightless but the bait tends to run up and not stay in the strike zone, plus it takes forever to drop it down.  I now use split sinkers which work well at keeping the bait down, but my line often twists up and the weight interferes with the bait.  What are your thoughts?
>))))))>

Offline Roacho

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Weights
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:25 PM »
I use a really small (size 8 or 10) round split.  I paint them green and put them really close to the hook.  It's just enough weight to bring em down but not enough for the fish to notice. 

The one problem is that a #10 is really hard to put on in the cold and the split isn't big enough to for 40# Floru to fit in. 
I'd rather be fishing!
www.elroacho.com
Rowley, MA

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:46 PM »
I like the pinch on type...easy on and off

Offline iCeMaN...24/7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Toad Time!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2007, 09:45 PM »
I use split shot on the mono/floro leader and 1/16 to 1/8 oz. worm slip weights on the main line.  I use a small swivel between the main line and leader to prevent the weight from slipping down onto the leader.  The size of split shot and weight of slip sinker I use depends on water depth, minnow size, and species of fish I am targeting.  My system has worked well for me so far... :tipup:
A bad day fishing beats a good day working!!! <///><

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:03 PM »
 Try the slip sinkers with the rubber core, they are easy to put on and take off an line won't kink or twist. You can buy them i almost any size.
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.