Author Topic: How to set the hook with a tip-up  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Hard and Thick

• IceShanty Rookie
How to set the hook with a tip-up
« on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:48 PM »
OK guys, I am going to try another approach. I have never used a tip-up before and I bought one that has the reel down in the water.  It looks like if a fish takes the bait it can just run with the line.  My question is how does one set the hook, do you just lift the whole contraption gently out of the water and then grab the line and give the line a jerk or what?  The way it appears is that once the fish takes off the reel turns and the flag comes up so the only way I can see to set the hook is to get to the line cause it is free spooling, is that correct?

Offline fishnnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: How to set the hook with a tip-up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:54 PM »
You are exactly right. For walleyes or perch I pretty much will give the line a little jerk as soon as I can get to the flag. For northerns sometimes it's not a bad idea to let them run with it a bit especially when using larger size bait. It just takes a little practice but you are right on otherwise.

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2007, 06:59 PM »
When I approach the hole, I want to know if the fish is running because many times it has hit the bait and is just lying there with it in its mouth. I put a tiny bobber at the real to mark the line. I gently lift the tip out of the hole so that the fish cannot feel me and give some slack immediately. I lay the line across my palm and watch the bobber go under the ice. We call it "walking the dog" as the fish takes the line. Sometimes it will stop and spit the bait out and the bobber will come back up. Hold the line and wait. When you set the hook, don't jerk too hard and remember that you have plenty of time to pull in , hand over hand. Use the wind to your advantage and let the line lay on the ice and don't tangle it up too badly. Once you see the fish, be sure to pull the fish straight out of the hole and don't let it hit the lip of the ice. Many good fish are lost that way. If it's a big one, be careful lifting him out of the hole as they can be real crafty at that point.

Rule of thumb....be patient...it's not like rod and reel. Once you start to pull it him keep the line tight and don't rip it out of his mouth.

Good luck.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:00 PM »
lift tipup out of water with left hand if fish is runnin out line throw tipup away from hole grabbin line with your right hand all in one motion cross his eyes the shock uasually results in a quick fight ,thats good except if your fishin for papermouths or toothy critters  its mano y mano  buenas pescados  p/s never set hook with the tipup it looks tacky and also can destroy your tipup
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:01 PM »
You will want to add one step to that sometimes the fish will run with the line but then stop or even turn around so you want to slowly pull in the slack till you feel the fish then set the hook. With pike they will hit the bait and run but not swallow it deep enough to hook them so what i do is wait untill they stop and then go again because they will stop to eat the bait. Good Luck.

Offline Hard and Thick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:06 PM »
Thanks guys, I live in Montana and mostly fish for trout but might go to Ft. Peck reservoir with some buddies for Northerns and they can get quite large.  They said to take a tip up so now maybe I can figure out how it works. Thanks again.

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:24 PM »
I slowly pull the tip up out of the water then take the line and set the hook  :tipup:

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2007, 07:38 PM »
Good advice all.

A couple more thoughts on runners.

I usually try to stand on the opposite side of the hole from where the fish is running to get a clean set

If I have a partner I usually have him walk back with the tip up and he reels in the line Iv'e tossed on the ice. It won't get tangled around your feet and the post-catch line clean-up is easier.

Also, if you get to the hole and there's no line left on your spool - just start yanking.

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:53 PM »

Also, if you get to the hole and there's no line left on your spool - just start yanking.

Cause if you dont it will be bye bye fishy and possibly bye bye tip up
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2007, 01:59 PM »
You guys forgot to make sure you are facing whoever your fishing with so you can rub it in their face that you've got one on.   Always yell "I think this is a  little better fish" and try no to spill you beer

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline TJ Bauer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LIVE LIFE, FISH, BE SAFE, HAVE FUN
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2007, 04:53 PM »
You guys forgot to make sure you are facing whoever your fishing with so you can rub it in their face that you've got one on.   Always yell "I think this is a  little better fish" and try no to spill you beer

The most important phrase in this sentence DONT SPILL YOUR BEER!!!!!!!!!

Offline Timmey9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:00 PM »
I run up to it and if the fish is running I set the hook right away.  If its not running I wait untill it is. 

Hit em on the run

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2007, 06:24 AM »
Grip it and rip it!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.