Author Topic: Deep Creek Ice  (Read 6802 times)

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deep Creek Ice 12/27/2008
Deep Creek Ice
« on: Dec 07, 2008, 07:41 PM »
 :o :o :o Deep Creek has at least 4 inches in some coves. Should be good through Christmas.  Fat Boy-You Out there?
It's all a part o' fishin', son

Offline grizzly's grillin'

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Iditarod Dog Handler
Re: Deep Creek Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Very thin  sheet of ice on lots of the big water behind Grizzly' Grillin this morning> Don't get too excited. Look at weather forcast for next couple days. accuweather showing 100% rain and 51 degrees Wednesday, then cold again. It was 8 degrees on Beckmans's Peninsula last night. Freakin' cold.
You can give out but, never give up!!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Not on the ice yet, but lurkin' in wait ;).  We need an another Alberta clipper to steamroll down and push the warm front South, then we'd be good to go!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2008, 04:45 PM »
Hear! Hear!  Its looking like it might be a cold one this year and with any luck we might be able to hit the ice before x-mas.  I'm hoping this little warm spot'll be an aberation

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2008, 06:54 PM »
:o :o :o Deep Creek has at least 4 inches in some coves. Should be good through Christmas.  Fat Boy-You Out there?

Offline icematt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Boyd: Nice Marley picture. We have allot of fun on the ice talking to Bob. Maybe we'll see you out there.

icefishnfool

« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2008, 06:24 PM »
Bean and I tore them up today ......the wind and warm weather tore up all safe Ice it is unsafe now ....don't risk it

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Bean and I tore them up today ......the wind and warm weather tore up all safe Ice it is unsafe now ....don't risk it
:%$#!:
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

icefishnfool

« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2008, 06:38 PM »
nutter    .....you should have been there .....we let every fish go , they said  they would come back and bite your jig nextime  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2008, 07:56 PM »
nutter    .....you should have been there .....we let every fish go , they said  they would come back and bite your jig nextime  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

yeh, yeh, yeh,  Rub some salt in the wounds why don't ya. 

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2008, 03:42 PM »
Oh yeah Mark, where's my PM? ???

Glad to hear you guys had a day though!
Kevin Wilson

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2008, 05:30 PM »
 :D :D Beautiful Day today. Had 6 inches of ice under foot. Drilled 44 holes but couldn't find the fish. Used 3 tips, one dead stick and jigging but only had one bite late and that felt like a small one. Should be up early tomorrow turnin and burnin. Had the whole lake to myself. Early ice is nice!!!

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:18 PM »
:D :D Beautiful Day today. Had 6 inches of ice under foot. Drilled 44 holes but couldn't find the fish. Used 3 tips, one dead stick and jigging but only had one bite late and that felt like a small one. Should be up early tomorrow turnin and burnin. Had the whole lake to myself. Early ice is nice!!!

I would have guessed the ice was about shot up there. I've been watching the extended forecast for Oakland and it looks like this upcoming week is going to be hotter than July usually is up there.  :'( The 15 day forecast  on Accuweather is showing a good cool down starting the Monday before Christmas, The temps are not getting above freezing for 5 days with the lows in the teens at night. Hopefully there will be good ice there the weekend after Christmas. I'm planning a trip for that weekend and with my luck the only ice I will see will be in a glass.  :tipup:

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:22 PM »
I would have guessed the ice was about shot up there. I've been watching the extended forecast for Oakland and it looks like this upcoming week is going to be hotter than July usually is up there.  :'( The 15 day forecast  on Accuweather is showing a good cool down starting the Monday before Christmas, The temps are not getting above freezing for 5 days with the lows in the teens at night. Hopefully there will be good ice there the weekend after Christmas. I'm planning a trip for that weekend and with my luck the only ice I will see will be in a glass.  :tipup:

I would not go by the Accuweather forecast for Oakland.  It is usually 3 to 5 degrees colder at the lake compared to Oakland.  I usually go by the "true" temperature that is located at Garrett County College. 

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 13, 2008, 09:32 PM »
I would not go by the Accuweather forecast for Oakland.  It is usually 3 to 5 degrees colder at the lake compared to Oakland.  I usually go by the "true" temperature that is located at Garrett County College. 

Your right, they usually do get colder that what the forecast calls for. Do you think it still will be fishable in two weeks??

Offline icematt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:13 AM »
Go to the Garrett Cty College weather website. The gauge is literally next the lake. It is the most accurate for Deep Creek.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2008, 11:39 AM »
Your right, they usually do get colder that what the forecast calls for. Do you think it still will be fishable in two weeks??

As long as it doesn't open up and let the wind get hold of it this week I think it will be good.  It looks like the week of x-mas is looming good with lows at night here in PA in the teens.  So it will be much colder at DC.

Offline minger1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:48 PM »
hey guys I am currently at school at Towson university and looking to go ice fishing whens schools out. I am from ct so I don't know the lakes around but is there anything closer than deep creek for me?

icefishnfool

« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:33 PM »
contact Fat Boy ....he is close to you , but for ice fishing you night head to PA when we have ice

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:42 PM »
Any word on the ice on Deep Creek?? Or have they broke out the Skee-Do's with the warm weather??

Offline Rockfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:29 AM »
looks like we've had some real nice temps lately but  >:( it looks like the weatherman'
s calling for a real warm spell for the next few days.    Any ice out there now and if so how're folks doing?

Offline icematt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:48 AM »
Looks like there is a skim layer on most of the lake. Check out deep creek web cams on line. There is one that shows a good portion of McHenry cove. I am anxious as all of us are. Smullies, smullies they like to bite... smullies smullies they like to fight. 

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:36 PM »
Hey Kevin long time no see
hopefully well be able to hok up this yr sometime its been a while

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2008, 09:15 AM »
I'm heading to Oakland tomorrow evening. Is there any use in taking my ice fishing gear??

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2008, 08:43 PM »

Nice Ice on Deep Creek today.

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:00 PM »

This is an average Walleye that I have been catching over the last two weeks. I fished Saturday in short sleeves and temps in the 60's. Life is good.

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2008, 09:44 PM »

This is what my cove looked like on Thanksgiving. Wish it looked that this now. No snow and soft edges. Draggin a sled and get on the ice is tough. Got two wet boots stompin through soft edges and water in the sled draggin it over the shore line rocks. Perseverance paid off, it was windy but fishing was good today. Glad I finally got this picture thing figured out.

Offline gwebb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:32 AM »
We found good ice Saturday also, didn't get to fish but for a couple of hours, 4" of good ice when we got there but with the wind and temp's it was down to 3.5" in 2 hours. The edges were fine when we went on but were very soft whe we left. We marked a lot of fish but only caught one small perch and broke my line when I set the hook on another. It was very different fishing on the ice with temps in the mid 60's.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2008, 01:16 PM »
Hey Kevin long time no see
hopefully well be able to hok up this yr sometime its been a while

Yeah, it has.  Hey, get me some good ice worth driving to up there and I'd be there in a couple weeks!   ;)  I'm outta fishing commission through the end of the year, but will be out and looking for good ice in January for sure.  I haven't been out hunting at all either, so I have to have a balance and get some time in the woods too.  After that, Feb and March are all ice fishing for me with no distractions, as long as we have ice.
Kevin Wilson

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2008, 01:18 PM »
contact Fat Boy ....he is close to you , but for ice fishing you night head to PA when we have ice

Minger1, go North to PA when we have ice.  Lots of good lakes up there.  Where will depend on safe ice, how much time you have, and where you'd be willing to drive.  The reports section of the PA board has all the public lakes that we know of, and should have directions, etc.  So, read up, pick the one you want, get some ice and go fishin'!  The same holds true on the MD boards.  Check the archived reports and you can get some good info, but we need a cold snap if we're going to have any ice down here.
Kevin Wilson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.