Author Topic: Deep Creek Ice  (Read 9449 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Deep Creek Ice
« on: Dec 13, 2006, 04:26 PM »
Looks like the weather isn't favorable :P, but if anyone gets out or knows that this lake has fishable ice, please reply here or PM me and I'll unlock the reports thread.  If everyone takes a deep breath (especially some of you blowhards  ;D), and blow it out to the South, maybe we can alter the Jet Stream in our favor!
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: Deep Creek Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2006, 08:26 AM »
im blowin kevin.  maybe up the valley between the yough and deep creek.thought about checkin things out    mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline ratsotail

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spring bobbers and ratsotails!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2006, 09:10 PM »
Kev,

I've been blowin' as hard as I can from Ontario and it's still not working for me at this latitude. Last year we were fishing on December 8th...this year we had a short skirmish on 3" of marginal ice for a day or two, but it wasn't enough to get this family man out on the ice!

Hmmm, global warming, climate change, solar winds, El Nino....can't put a finger on what's up, but if you look at the entire northern hemisphere there aren't any polar/arctic dips in the jet stream at all. That doesn't bode well for our favorite past time, eh!

Anyone know any Indian tricks to get the weather to cooperate!?

Tight Lines Friend,

ratsotail

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2006, 11:20 AM »
I don't have any tricks Jeff, but I'm open for suggestions.  Hopefully when we do get ice it will be around long enough this year.  I'd rather have it late and stay awhile than here today gone tomorrow type of thing.  I guess we need a real snow storm to kick things off.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2006, 04:24 PM »
Well fellas maybe I'll just be pessimistic about ice prospects and the Ice Gods will come through with some decent stuff just to spite me.  Sure hope so.  Am not overly optimistic but I do have my ice gear ready to go if the ice ever shows.  Til then I'll keep fishin' openwater style just to keep in shape and know what a bite feels like.

Merry Christmas All and if Santa could just bring some of that arctic weather with him then that's all I want for Christmas (already have my 2 front teeth).

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2007, 08:02 AM »
I used my ice scraper this morning for the 3rd time this winter. This is starting to get really eerie.

My wife reminds me that in the 80's it was always after the holidays before we'd get on the ice. Rarely would we get to fish before New Years. In the 90's that atated to be more common.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2007, 09:10 AM »
when i woke up this am and saw some frost on the car the first thing I thought of was hoping that it was even colder in garret county!!  man, Im jonesen to do some ice fishin. 

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2007, 12:25 PM »
Believe it or not the website was only reporting a low of around 28 there last night.  It was actually colder at my house in the valley than on top the mountain.  Unfortunately it isn't going to stick around.  >:(
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2007, 02:30 PM »
Hey at least we are getting closer to ice.  The surface temp was reported as 38 for a 10 degree drop in the past month.  Now if we can just get a cold blast in here then I think the last 6 degrees would happen and we'd be walkin on the hard stuff.  Think COLD!

Am referencing that website that Bean listed berfore:
http://www.deepcreektimes.com/general.asp

jjT

Offline Perch 21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2007, 08:57 PM »
the weather is looking excellent over the next 2 weeks for good ice formation hopefully we will be on the ice by the end of January can't wait

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2007, 12:08 PM »
Thanks strike lesd, hope to fish with you this year.
ice is your friend

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #11 on: Jan 20, 2007, 02:10 PM »
Pletch

Once the ice gets here we'll have to have a ice party for all of us regulars on the forum. A few years ago for Christmas, my wife bought me a timeshare at Lakewood (219 bridge) for the 6th week of the year. My ice buddies come up from DC and we enjoy ourselves without the women. This week its Feb 9th -16th. The place is huge and very comfortable. Maybe I'll throw a party for us guys to get to know each other. I'll break out the deep fryer and we can go nuts.

By the way, I see you're from Rockwood. I have a good friend that owns 1OO acres up that way along the Casselman River. I shot a huge 12 point there 5 years ago. Man, that place is crawling with big bucks. I envy you guys up there.

Take care, pal!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

icefishnfool

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2007, 02:48 PM »
strike .........lets hope the ice lasts longer this year .....remember what happened last year when we all came down   good in the morning , then could hardly could get off the ice in the afternooon :'( :'(

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:02 PM »
WOW, strike lead that is an offer I can't refuse! Name the days and we will be there. THANKS
ice is your friend

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2007, 03:24 PM »
Nice dog, Icer. I've got one just like 'em.

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2007, 09:36 PM »
Great news! Nothing like hope.

icefishnfool

« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2007, 09:48 PM »
WOODIE

Offline peribonca

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2007, 07:46 AM »
Has anyone been out to DCL today? We're thinking of hitting it this weekend, the webcams have been showing ice for several days now in the coves.... but the main lake looks open still.
If DCL isn't safe yet, do you have any recommendations of lakes in southern Pennsylvania that have ice?
Thanks!
Tight lines----soon!!!!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2007, 08:28 AM »
On their website message board someone reported yesterday that most coves had 1 to 1 1/2 inches with some open water in McHenry. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline fishfinder74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2007, 11:53 AM »
peribonca, the only place in southern pa that has ice is the smaller ponds, with a couple of the bigger lakes still making ice. me and my buddy got out on a pond yesterday but it was a little sketchy. the ice was only 2 1/2 to 3 inches thick. with the cooler temps this weekend should be prime to hit the smaller bodies of water.

Offline icerookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2007, 09:08 AM »
I saw a beautiful site on the web cam of McHenry Cove...at least 3 ice houses on the lake!  Fishing has begun.

http://www.deepcreekhospitality.com/weather.asp?Tab=Cams&Cam=1

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2007, 05:49 PM »
That was nice to see. I'm hoping to head out there on Thursday and will post a report. By the forecast it looks like the ice should build alot more between now and then. I wish the wind and snow would slow down though.

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2007, 06:08 PM »
Met a "man" out on the ice last night fishing on 3 inches in the Green Glade area. He had a few young boys with him that were playing and running and having a good time. I walked out gingerly and when I saw the ice was thin I did an about face and started to head for the shore. That's when I noticed the fish pile that included 3-4 perch, a larger bass and at least 4 walleye in the 8-12 inch range. One of them was REALLY small and was still flopping on the surface. I reminded him of the 14 inch limit and he reminded me to mind my own f**** business and called me a tree hugger. He said that he had travelled all day to get there and was ticked off about the sh**y ice conditions and was determined to take fish home.

If it had been earlier in the day I would have gone straight to the DNR. I was tired, called him a choice profane word and avoided further confrontation. That, I regret because I believe I owe it to all of my fishing friends to report the idiot that has little value for the resource. But, what irritated me most was those kids. That knucklehead let those boys run wild on dangerous ice without a life preserver. Some spots had thinned out to 2 inches.

Toward dark.....I came across another situation very similar.....but these kids were at least wearing PFDs as they romped on thin ice.

If, by chance, you (MRICE Virginia) are reading this let it be known............I took your plate # and I will be speaking with someone. Go back to Virginia...we don't act like that around here. I hope I see your Cherokee again someday soon!

Sorry about all of the negativism guys, but I had to get this off my chest.

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2007, 06:54 PM »
Naw dude , you did the right thing. Too bad for the kids though having an old man like that. First, letting them run around on thin ice. Second taking baby walleye. Third , acting like he is owed something just for showing up. It's a long drive for me up there from Frederick and the bad days have out numbered the good by a long shot. That's called paying your dues. If your not willing to do that please take up a different passtime and stop taking undersized fish! I really hope he checks in here from time to time.

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:43 PM »
If you have a license niumber turn him in

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2007, 09:34 PM »
Strike,
Sorry you had the bad run-in.  Just know that it happens.  Especially on a big draw like DCL you will have AH's acting up.  Well you blundered into one.  At the very least noone was hurt (except the walleye that were needlessly taken and the fishermen that follow that won't experience the thrill that these fish may have provided when they got bigger......etc).  In any case, you tried your best to help correct the situation. 

Sure call law enforcement and give them the info you have.  Likely as not, they won't be able to do a whole lot if they didn't witness it or there is no evidence.  But just maybe if they call the guy he'll think twice before pulling any of that stuff.  In which case you will have helped us all.

Good job and don't stay down. I can tell by your posts that you're one of the good guys.  So pick yourself up by your bootstraps and move forward.

jjT

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2007, 04:53 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement jjT. And, by the way, I really enjoy that photo of those young men with you. My sons are 21, 22 and 25 and are too busy chasing women to go fishing with their old Dad these days. I had a couple of years where they were the best auger and sled haulers in Garrett County. Now they just take my tuition money and leave all the fish cleaning for me. Maybe after there testosterone simmers down they'll get back to the simpler pleasures in life like skimmin slush out of a new ice hole. Enjoy them while you can.....they'll give you a lifetime of wonderful memories.

Doug

Offline icerookie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2007, 04:58 PM »
Anybody look at the ice today?  I plan to go up next weekend.  We have a place on Arrowhead.  Would like to fish off the arrowhead but afraid there willl not be enough ice.  Will probably have to stay in the cove...but even in the summer with a lot of boat traffic, the cove is usually pretty good.  Anybody else out there fishing next weekend?  Ice Rookie (Randy Brooks)

By the way...how do you upload a photo here...have a good webshot of the icehouses in McHenry this weekend.

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2007, 05:37 PM »
I went out today and got spooked and decided to hold off till later this week. I drove down past Turkeyneck to check things out and saw no fishermen. The edge was bad. Saw a few guys near the Yacht club but I couldn't figure out how they got on the ice.

You can copy and paste from the net. I use photobucket.com to put in my own photos. It will assign a URL to the pic. It's a great site because you can go on a nice fishing trip, post your photos to the site in a slide show, and then send someone the link rather zipping large files in an email.

Next week should VERY good ice however, the ice at Arrowhead will be pretty iffy. Maybe...but I don't think so. Go across the Glendale bridge, take a left on to State Park Road and find a place to park ASAP. That's a better place to icefish. But......that ice is very thin right now too. I rarely see people icefish in the Arrowhead cove. In the summer, there are some really nice bluegill in that area all the way past Silvertree and up to the bridge. I like the smallmouth fishing at night along that strip. Good luck.

Offline mr._freeze

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2007, 10:01 PM »
Looked like a very cold day today out that way. I don't think it got out of the low teens. It seems like things should be getting right quickly now. Is there too much snow on the ice? I'm still hoping for a trip out on Thursday but I'm not much of a marginal ice kind of guy.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.