Author Topic: Deep Creek draw down this winter???  (Read 16017 times)

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Deep Creek draw down this winter???
« on: Sep 01, 2006, 12:31 PM »
I read over on fishdeepcreek.com that they were lowering the lake down 17 feet at the dam this winter for repairs.  Has anyone else heard this?  If they need to drain the dam face down 17 feet that will be a serious drop in water in some of the coves.  It will certainly make for some interesting fishing this winter.  ;D
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Deep Creek draw down this winter???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 01, 2006, 09:19 PM »
ill be down lol  will that super consenstrate those big fish?
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 02, 2006, 07:48 AM »
I hope so.   ;D

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2006, 06:32 PM »
I hope so.   ;D

And they will still let you icefish it?         The one resevoir around here they drop the level way down everywinter and the fishing is good real early ice   and then  they are tight lipped the rest of the winter :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2006, 06:42 PM »
Haven't heard if they will still let you ice fish.  I would imagine since it is a pretty large lake.  Some of the smaller lakes that are drained near me can be tough. 

icefishnfool

« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2006, 09:43 PM »
I can't wait to GPS the structure  ;D ;D ;D

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:26 PM »
has anyone heard anymore on this drawdown?  17 feet at the damn, would that mean a cove that has 8 feet of water in it will be high and dry?

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2006, 01:54 PM »
By 9'

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2006, 03:32 PM »
Thanks for the help with the math, C.C.  ;D

Thats a pretty substantial draw down, isnt it?  Has this been done before?  Ive only been fishing this lake the past couple years. 

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2006, 04:36 PM »
I have heard that this may be a rumor.  On the deepcreek website it sounded like the local baitshop did not know whether this was true or not.  We will have to wait and see.  I also agree this is a substantial drawdown for such a large lake.  If the dam really needs repairs then there is no choice. 

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #10 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:15 PM »
Here I am thinking ice fishing and wondered if anyone had been here yet this season. Thew weather is to drop in to the 30's early Thursday morning 9/21.

I started thinking about a new shanty. Any ideas???

Anyway, they drop the lake every year at this time to limit shoreline erosion. Nothing new. So far, it's dropped about 3 1/2 feet and has exposed about 15 feet of shore. Once again, nothing new.
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19, 2006, 08:26 PM »
that probably will concentrate your fish more! Thats 17 more feet of water that you dont have to search!
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 19, 2006, 09:46 PM »
Hey Doug, nice to see you posting again.  I guess there is no truth to the dam repair then?  You should look at the Fish Trap Pro or Guide for a new shelter.  The Pro is a great one man and go with the Guide if you want more room.  The Pro would be better for Deep Creek since there seems to be no easy parking or drag to the ice.  We are planning another trip this year and hope to have better ice than last.  And hopefully no wind! :o

Offline Strike Lead

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oakland, Maryland
« Reply #13 on: Sep 19, 2006, 10:13 PM »
Great to be back Icenutter!!

I bought a new Nissan Titan this summer and I'd like to get some new shantys to put in the back. I have a good friend from Annapolis that comes out to ice fish with me about 4-5 times a winter for the past 30 years. I'd like to get both of the shantys and the auger in the back at the same time.

I'd like a tub bottom that is a molded sled with a cup/tackle holder etc. Thanks for the tip. Do you know of any stores in a 150 mile radius that might have a display? I'm on a mission and will probably buy something in October.

I'm looking for a ice fishing trip this winter. Last year I went to North Dakota. Was thinking about something a little closer like Presque Isle in Erie, PA. Went up there 3 years ago and they had no ice when I got there. What other PA lakes are comparable to DCL? Ohio? NY?

I'm getting itchy to ream a hole!
My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it.  ~Koos Brandt

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #14 on: Sep 20, 2006, 02:17 PM »
I'll be looking forward to another DC trip this year too.  We'll get better conditions, I'm confident ;D
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:17 PM »
I hope so Kevin.  Last year being the 4th warmest winter ever in PA, I don't think it could get much worse.  What's the chances of this winter being in the top 3?  You will have to get up here to PA and get into the great crappie bite we had last year.  Based on earlier netting surveys the crappie bite looks to be just as good this year if not better.   :o

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 20, 2006, 07:44 PM »
Hopefully we can have a get together this winter
as long as the roads arent bad i should make it

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 21, 2006, 07:17 AM »
Here is the reply I got from MD DNR on the draw down:

We have received notification from the Brookfield Power Company for a proposal to draw down the lake to an elevation of 2454, which is one foot below the lower rule band for the end of November, in order to replace valves in the powerhouse. This drawdown should be able to store a 500-year storm event.

Regards,
Alan Klotz
MD DNR Fisheries

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 21, 2006, 07:46 AM »
This was posted on 8-31-06 on FDC message board:

I've been recording the gauge height most days, and the highest I have seen the water this year was 2461.05 on June 28, just above the upper limit.  This morning it was 2458.30, so it is down almost three feet from that peak.  The upper limit for the rule band for the winter is 2458, so it has to drop at least a little more.  The lowest I recorded the gauge for 2006 was 2455.21 on January 31, so it has varied almost 6' for the year.

So by the sounds of it, it will only be about a foot or so lower then when we were there this past winter Russ. Not the 17' drawdown I had read.
Ken                                          

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:05 AM »
Yeh 17 feet sounded excessive, so I shot an e-mail to DNR. 

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 21, 2006, 08:12 AM »
So that sounds a little better then.  Bean and Icenutter, what are some other good lakes in PA that get good ice.  Im planning to try to broaden my horizons this winter, if possible.  Im about 2.5hours from dcl, and love fishing there, but they say variety is the spice of life.  Id invite you all down to Va, but, well, nothing gets solid enough down here.   Anyway, not looking for any secret spots, just some possible suggestions.  See you all on dcl in a few months - hopefully!!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 10, 2006, 08:10 AM »
So that sounds a little better then.  Bean and Icenutter, what are some other good lakes in PA that get good ice.  Im planning to try to broaden my horizons this winter, if possible.  Im about 2.5hours from dcl, and love fishing there, but they say variety is the spice of life.  Id invite you all down to Va, but, well, nothing gets solid enough down here.   Anyway, not looking for any secret spots, just some possible suggestions.  See you all on dcl in a few months - hopefully!!

Perchnut, when we start to get ice check the PA lake boards, there are lot's of lakes closer to you than you'd expect.  Or, you can shoot me an IM or email.  There are some other lakes in MD too.  One in PA that you might consider is High Point.  All this depends on what you like to fish for too (but if your user name is an indication then probably all lakes are game ;D).  Where in VA are you?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.