Author Topic: Has anyone scrapped their gas auger for a hand auger?  (Read 3121 times)

Offline needice

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Has anyone scrapped their gas auger for a hand auger?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:47 PM »
I bought my strikemaster lazermag 2000 two years ago.It weighs like 20 some pounds.I drill at least 50 holes usually every trip.I have put my time in on hand augers and before that bars.I think the gas auger is way easier than any bar or auger anyday.I just use my jet-sled to haul it with all my other junk.I bought a bag from cabela's this year for it and if I have massive load I just put it on my back like a backpack.Like somebody else said borrow a hand auger drill ten holes-than use your gas auger for ten.You think the gas auger winded you, wait till you are on hole #5 with the hand auger,Myself personally would never go back to hand-I have been spoiled. :laugh:

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 27, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Maybe you should grab an ultralight ,and wait for spring and open water :unsure:

No thanks, a boat is a lot heavier than all my gear.
cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline CharoS10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:08 PM »
I just bought 7' strikemaster mora from EBAY. Im going to try out. I belive should be not that hard, since Im in Rhode island. it wouldnt be get that too thick ice. Also it would be good work out.  :D.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #33 on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:11 PM »
love the gas auger but if i'm just going for panfish and ice is 6 inches i grab the 5 inch lazor

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:20 PM »
I haven't scrapped the Jiffy yet but it has hung in our garage for two years now with less than 10 hours on it. I really don't mind the 4" or 5" Lazer's on up to 20" of ice.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:51 PM »
haha, you guys complaining about gas augers! Try drilling a few holes with my 8" mora by yourself through 16" of ice like I did over the weekend!  Anybody interseted in trading there gas augers for an 8" mora, just give me a pm  ;D

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:57 PM »
I'm about tired of being winded after drilling holes with my strikemaster Lazer mag express. It's not as heavy as a Jiffy, but after 10 holes I'm completely gassed. I'm getting sick of burning myself out drilling 30 holes a trip, especially if we pack up and move. It sucks wearing heavy boots and clothing lugging around the auger trouncing through the snow or slush. I know working slow will cut down on the sweat and conserve some energy, but I also don't want to spend 20 minutes drilling holes and then going back to bait everything...

I'm considering grabbing a 6 or 8" hand auger and seeing if I won't need a nap halfway through the trip. Has anyone else here ditched their gas auger for a hand auger?
r u nuts drill 10 holes by hand then 10 with power in 24 inches of ice thats a no brainer

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I'm about tired of being winded after drilling holes with my strikemaster Lazer mag express. It's not as heavy as a Jiffy, but after 10 holes I'm completely gassed. I'm getting sick of burning myself out drilling 30 holes a trip, especially if we pack up and move. It sucks wearing heavy boots and clothing lugging around the auger trouncing through the snow or slush. I know working slow will cut down on the sweat and conserve some energy, but I also don't want to spend 20 minutes drilling holes and then going back to bait everything...

I'm considering grabbing a 6 or 8" hand auger and seeing if I won't need a nap halfway through the trip. Has anyone else here ditched their gas auger for a hand auger?
I dont know how much ice you get, but you try drilling 30 holes with an 8" here in the adirondacks and you will need more than a nap. try shoulder replacement surgery
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline TR19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:38 PM »
i like my 6" hand auger until the ice gets 10"-12"
then my 3hp jiffy 10" takes over.
i like the bigger hole in thick ice.
i can run the gas job myself ok, but with 2 guys it's better.
i also hate towing the jiffy in the sled when there's more than 5" - 6" of snow on the lake.

Offline snohiker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just give me water hard or not and ill be happy
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:55 PM »
well i have an 8" Mora and hated it. took forever to drill one hole real crappy blades.   so went out to get a new set of blades and dicks only  had 6" so i got a 6" Mora it was on sale for a Lil more than the blades cost. well went i took it out anddrilled the first hole i almost crapped myself it went thru so fast i thought i was on thin ice been carrying it all season now   don't get me wrong when the ice thick ill be using my old Friend ive had for close to twenty years  jiffy 8"

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:05 PM »
I have a Nils power auger, 22 pounds and can drill 20''+ of ice 1 handed. Comes with a handle to convert to a hand auger if needed in early ice but havent used it yet. My wifes 5' 3" and can easily drill holes with mine with no effort.

Offline amortec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May Your Rattle Reel's Ring Often!!!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:25 PM »
With over 3 foot of ice...  I will Keep my Jiffy, with the extension... She may be old, loud, & heavy... But so am I !!
I only work so that I can afford to fish, hunt, & farm

Offline edmonds

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:24 AM »
After buying my 8" nils hand auger, I wouldn't trade it for anything.  It cuts better than anything else i have used with little to no effort.........althoug h.... I don't drill through 3 feet of ice either.

Offline techyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 28, 2009, 12:05 PM »
Bought the power auger 3 years ago and will NEVER go back to a hand auger.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.